HDNet Concerts

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Gerhard

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I haven't seen much discussion of the high definition, Dolby Digital 5.1 concerts shown on HDNet. Another apparent jam rock band I have never heard of, Moe, was on today and I recorded it to D-VHS which is the only way I have to record HD w/Dolby Digital to removable media. The concert is pretty good, nothing new in terms of style, it seems I have heard it all before. The mix sounds suitable for a concert. Tomorrow Derek Trucks, another artist unheard by me is on and I have it set to record. I have recorded dozens of concerts from HDNet and just forgotten about them, never listened yet. Some are well known artists, but most are not. I decided to sit and watch this one for a while and now I think I might be glad I have all of these concerts at some time in the future. I am also doing my share to keep worthless SVHS videotape out of landfills.

Chris

I watched the rest of this concert. I guess the group is actually moe., not Moe. HDTV adds nothing to the concert, these guys surely look better in standard definition but the concert is very good.

Chris

I have an HD-DVR, and have recorded concerts from HDNet and also RAVE (an all music channel from ZOOM/Dish Network). They do sound great in Dolby Digital 5.1. I never have tried to transfer the audio to a DVD-A or DTS CD. I am not sure how I could get it off the DVR.

It is cool, 3 channels do recorded live shows, my favs so far and I have had it for about 3 months has been Queen w/Paul Rogers, Heart and Steve Winwood. Steve is at his best, sounding better then he ever did with Traffic. As far as surround goes, mostly crowd noise in the rears but with a few nice blends to the rears.

I just watched a very small piece of the Derek Trucks "Songlines Live". This seems like a really good concert. He is a master on the guitar, fortunately for rock fans, he plays blues/rock. The vocalist is unknown to me as well, but seems competent so far. This one could be really great, I haven't had a chance to analyze the surround mix, but I have no doubt I will like the music.

Chris

I have an HD-DVR, and have recorded concerts from HDNet and also RAVE (an all music channel from ZOOM/Dish Network). They do sound great in Dolby Digital 5.1. I never have tried to transfer the audio to a DVD-A or DTS CD. I am not sure how I could get it off the DVR.

Yes, I have an HDTV DVR, the DirecTV TiVo HR10-250 in addition to firewire DirecTV receivers to record to D-VHS. I don't know how to get recordings from the HR10-250 to D-VHS, much less to a disc. I just use the TiVo for time shifting and D-VHS for long term archiving. I know, videotape, yeeech!

Chris

I just subscribed to HD channels in the last few weeks when I got my soon to be outdated (I fear) Directivo receiver (Model 10-250). So imagine my delight when I stumbled into the HDNet concerts!! I loved the Boz Scaggs one - beautiful onscreen and the multi-channel sound was great (to my ears). His voice isn't what it was, but still great and the musicians were awesome. I also had on in the background while fixing Q8s of all things, some concert that had many people on it including Peter Gabriel, Ritchie Havens (too briefly), and many others. It was some sort of Jam festival Grateful Deadish. Would have recorded it but I only have 30 hours of HD recordability and just love Grey's Anatomy and other regular shows in HD! Along those lines, I have a question: Should I invest in an HD VCR type recorder for the music? I have an S-video player I never use (not for years since I fell under Tivo's spell - on my 4th tivo as we speak!). I'd like to have the surround music from these things. If some expert here wishes to branch out and make DVD-A's from them, I would buy!! But I don't want to take anyone away from their preservation work! ANyway - my 2 cents! :sun

I have a question: Should I invest in an HD VCR type recorder for the music? I have an S-video player I never use (not for years since I fell under Tivo's spell - on my 4th tivo as we speak!). I'd like to have the surround music from these things. If some expert here wishes to branch out and make DVD-A's from them, I would buy!! But I don't want to take anyone away from their preservation work! ANyway - my 2 cents! :sun

I would not recommend you buy an HD VCR recorder now. Hopefully, we will have a way to record to HD DVD and/or Blu-ray in a couple of years. That isn't at all clear now, but I hope it happens. I do use D-VHS to record HDTV from OTA and DirecTV and I can make it work acceptably, but it is a quirky format. Recording from your HR10-250 to D-VHS would require some sort of extraction to a PC equipped with firewire then to D-VHS. I have never done that and don't know how. I record to D-VHS using a receiver with firewire. I also own the HR10-250 and love it. D-VHS does record Dolby Digital 5.1 from a firewire source and playback Dolby Digital 5.1 when connected by toslink to a Dolby Digital decoder.

Chris

Today's concert is "Son Volt Live: Okemah & the Melody of Riot". I don't know what that is, but I am going to record it to D-VHS.

Chris

If you are doing audio only , couldn't you just treat the multichannel outputs in rca format like you would with quad outputs...or even use a dts 610 into a cdr recorder....just a thought..

Thanks, Chris, for the input about D VHS. I really didn't want to mess with anything else just yet. Until something better comes along, I'll just enjoy the concerts in real time or recorded and let 'em go. Guess i don't have to own everything! I love my HR 10-250, too!

Son Volt is described as an alternative country rock group at allmusic.com and have apparently been around a dozen years or so. This concert was recorded at the Orange Peel, the Oklahoma State University area concert hall, I guess. I did notice that Sony has a DualDisc of the studio album "Okemah and the Melody of Riot", but I haven't even checked to see if it is in Dolby Digital surround or just the more likely enhanced stereo on the DVD side. I watched the opening song and already like the group, I suspect the concert is another very good one but it will likely be months before I get around to watching it.

Chris

Every day off generally finds me "working" on music at the pc at the time HDNET has a band or two on in Hi Def/DD, broadcast from the HT in the next room. Sometimes interesting, sometimes it sucks, but at least it's there.
-you never heard of D Trucks? I guess he's more of a Southern phenom. :)
regards,
boondocks

Back