Heiner Rennebaum Doppelquartett (Fritz Hilpert Atmos mix) now available on Bandcamp

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
It's now possible to purchase Atmos-encoded mp4 tracks of this album (previously streaming exclusively on Tidal) for €12 by emailing Rennebaum via the album's Bandcamp page. (If you're not familiar with the format: mp4s are playable as video files on Oppo players and/or with the Windows Movies & TV app and, with proper settings, with Kodi or VLC [and possibly foobar?]. With the right program, they can also be converted to mkv.)
https://umlandrecords.bandcamp.com/album/live
This mix was done by Kraftwerk's Fritz Hilpert, who created the Atmos mixes for both Booka Shade's Galvany Street and Dear Future Self and Kraftwerk's own 3-D: The Catalogue.

I think this is an interesting album--I'll call it "progressive jazz"--with a great mix. Jazz quartet (electric guitar-sax-bass-drums) mainly across the fronts; string quartet sometimes in the rears, sometimes spread all around. Active use of overheads, for reverb & ambience, sometimes for snare & cymbals.

If Pat Metheny is your only reference for jazz guitar, then expect a sound more akin to Orchestrion than to PMG. Otherwise: think Austrian guitarist Wolfgang Muthspiel or Danish guitarist Jakob Bro. Lots of nordic atmospherics, some Balkan/Mediterranean grooves, a little bit of power-fusion, and occasional avant excursions. (But don't be scared: there are plenty of melodies here, too.) It's an immersive listen in more than one sense of the word.

You can stream the tracks in stereo before you buy, but unless it really turns you off, I would go for it. Small labels and indie artists who are taking risks to get their music out in surround deserve our support!

1613852208383.png

Last edited:
Back