HELL FROZE OVER, i.e., revelations in your music taste / "I can't believe I like this!"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I guess I do not own anything by Madge although I admire her, if only because she was smart enough to get a voice coach back then to learn how to really sing, but I had never heard "Ray of Light" even though I love William Orbit's ouvre...
I got a hold of an LP rip and lo, and behold.. I LOVE IT!

BTW, it sounds really enveloping through Foobar's "upmix to 5.1" option.

I guess I do not own anything by Madge although I admire her, if only because she was smart enough to get a voice coach back then to learn how to really sing, but I had never heard "Ray of Light" even though I love William Orbit's ouvre...
I got a hold of an LP rip and lo, and behold.. I LOVE IT!

BTW, it sounds really enveloping through Foobar's "upmix to 5.1" option.

Never been a Madge fan, however there are a handful of her songs that I like, "Ray of Light" being one of them. Kind of reminds me of Donna Summer's "I Feel Love". I have the CD single, but keep it in a brown paper bag so nobody notices. (Just kidding about the paper bag, LOL).

IMO, there is NO need to decry infectious music because the mainstream embrace it. Madge and Swifty over the years have captured top spots on the charts the world over because their music is that good! Saw Madonna in concert twice and she works hard for the money doing backflips and captivating the crowd with hit after hit.

During the Disco era at least it got joe Q. Public the hell off their couches and onto the dance floor and the music was awesome ..... catchy, melodic and everything a LOT of grunge music is NOT! In 2023 when obesity is the number 1 cause of death .... I say bring Disco back ....... get 'em off their couches again and onto the glittering disco balled wooden platforms the world over and perhaps those pouchy love handles will magically disappear as they did in the soaring 70's!

REALLY hope Steve Wilson who is a big fan of Donna Summers will one day be able to remix her fantastic back catalogue into 5.1/ATMOS surround!

The most recent to fall into this category was SDE’s xPropaganda.

I hadn’t heard of them as Propaganda back in the day, nor would I have expected to in the midst of listening primarily to hard rock and metal then. But I really like this one. I lean more toward the instrumental version of the album, but thoroughly enjoy the vocal version, too.

I have gotten some odd looks from family in the house when playing that one as it doesn’t fit my musical history at all.

Recently for me, it's Ween.

Push Th' Little Daisies angried up the blood back in the day and they fell way off my radar but recently I heard these gems so will be checking out more of their tunes in future methinks:

Never heard of them, but why do the vocals on Tried and True sound very different (much slower delivery and deeper voice) than the live tune? Sounds like 2 different vocalists. That first one freaks me out a bit, but I like how they sound on the live video.

Never heard of them, but why do the vocals on Tried and True sound very different (much slower delivery and deeper voice) than the live tune? Sounds like 2 different vocalists. That first one freaks me out a bit, but I like how they sound on the live video.
They're all over the show with their style and delivery, sounding like about 10 different bands on the same album!

Reactions: GOS
Yeah, thanks for the cool reminder. It must be 20 years back, I saw Ween live in Germany (I guess it was in in the eary 200xs). I need to check their stuff!
Ah, White Pepper is from 2000.
I love The Mollusk from 1997 and Chocolate & Cheese from 1994
Made my day!

Oddly, I know absolutely nothing about her...other than she's popular!

I have a daughter-in-law and a granddaughter who are huge Taylor Swift fans. Consequently, I know more about her than any classic rock aficionado has a right to know. LOL

I must say, I admire her music production which is prodigious especially for this day in age when acts milk an album for 3 to 6 years.

Try this with an open mind. Atmos is nothing spectacular, but better than old fashioned stereo:
REALLY hope Steve Wilson who is a big fan of Donna Summers will one day be able to remix her fantastic back catalogue into 5.1/ATMOS surround!

Release these in Atmos in high resolution PHYSICAL MEDIA and I will buy them.

IMO, there is NO need to decry infectious music because the mainstream embrace it.

You said it Ralph. I spend hours taking infectious pop songs from my youth, separating them into stems using DeMiX Pro, cleaning them up, and then mixing them into 5.1. (I'm working on The Dave Clark Five's Bits An Pieces now and it is coming out better than I could possibly have imagined given the raunchy sounding source.)

Maybe somewhat related and/or somewhat unrelated, I have spent my entire life hating Queen (and the Eagles - but that's a whole other thing). But I just cringed whenever I'd hear anything by Queen, other than Crazy Little Thing Called Love. I don't know why, but it always just grated on me. But I decided to listen to their surround stuff and I did a total 180 and listened to it a lot. Excluding Night at the Opera, which still gnaws on my last nerve. And it's not the rock opera aspect of it because I do love Tommy.
And it did get me listening to other bands in surround I have long found annoying

Taylor Swift is my biggest embarrassment. I began with Folklore and I like her (yes, I also like her music). I'm getting old and soft, I reckon

I started listening to Swift's "Midnights" and really enjoyed it. Been listening to Folklore also. Actually, IMO, her lyrics are great and I like several female pop artists anyway. But I was not a Swift fan until Midnights.

Selena Gomez, her Rare and Revival albums, have gotten their fare share of playtime around here also, not to mention Alicia Keys' Alicia album. All are in Atmos / 5.1.

When I was 14 (more than 50 years ago) I wouldn't listen to an album that had a saxophone on it. If I looked at the instrumentation on the back of an album and saw Joe Bloggs Tenor Sax, I would put the album back in the shelf !
I particularly remember when I first saw the cover of Weather Report I sing the Body Electric.....it had a great cover but it had a sax player so it got put back.
It took me a long time to discover the saxophone ( or any brass ) was great...I was always an ignoramus.
This is what happens when one enters their musical journey through Sabbath, Purple, Zeppelin etc
Little did I realise that in less than 5 years time I would had given up Rock and was listening to cross over Jazz ...it was full of horns !

She’s cute, too! (Taylor Swift)
she is gorgeous...I know, she walked only a few inches from me last year... and she is a nice person, too...and she has a sense of humor... I'd better stop cause I have sworn off Sadge women...(yeah, like I have a chance, HA!)

Well, I have never been ashamed to like ABBA and Disco in the 70s, Duran Duran in the 80s and other stuff but,a s opposed to Taylah, Madge is a well known megalomaniac who believes is above everyone else and that's where I draw the line!

and not this one ;)

NC04MjkzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Back