Hello from near Chicago, IL!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to QQ and Go Bears! Had to include that last part as a long suffering Chicago Teddy Bear fan.
LOL yeah, I'm also a Cub fan and a Northwestern fan, so sports-related suffering is something to which I am accustomed. :D
Hi Chris, Welcome to QQ!
Wow, we got more Chicago area folks here than I knew.
I was born and raised on the west side for 60 some years.
My fav hangout was the 6 Flags roller coaster park.
But got tired of the winters and moved to Fl in 2008.
Hang on tight to your wallet, this can be a bumpy road.
But in the end you'll be happy with every penny spent.
I guarantee. ;)
Thanks! I'm a suburban brat: born in Evanston, raised in Glenview, and now I live in Gurnee (I can see Six Flags, formerly known as Marriott's Great America, from my driveway). Don't blame you re: winters; when I eventually retire, I'm strongly considering a warmer climate.
If your serious about digging into the tech side, be sure to also stop by Audio Science Review. We measure a lot of multich gear over there and separate the snake-oil from the honest equipment manufacturers. Here's a couple links to a few of our latest threats on gear to give you an idea what goes on over there.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...marantz-sr8015-review-home-theater-avr.24005/https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...h-many-center-channel-speakers-by-erin.30716/
Thanks for the recommendation! I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet; I have so much to learn! But I'll get there.
If you haven't already got it, and you have a means to play it, the Quad Alan Parsons mix of Dark Side of the Moon will deepen your addiction considerably.
I don't, but I will absolutely go looking for it. I've heard it's amazing.

Thanks again for all the friendly greetings! This seems like an awesome community.

Welcome. to the group. I was born in Chicago and grew up in Park Ridge. I became interested in quad in the 70's while reading High Fidelity and Stereo Review magazines that were available at my high school library. I also had an uncle who was an engineer for Shure in the Chicago area and talked about quad with him. Presently living in Florida.

Welcome Chris. I live just west of Gurnee.

It's a great time to get into multi-channel sound. Apple Music is just $10/month and allows access to a library of Atmos and 5.1 that would have required $1000s to acquire on disc.

Pink Floyd is quite the gateway. The 30th anniversary SACD of Dark Side of the Moon was one of my first discs. Pretty shocking that we are approaching the 50th anniversary. Animals 5.1 will be out this June and the Wall is currently being mixed in 5.1.

Welcome. to the group. I was born in Chicago and grew up in Park Ridge. I became interested in quad in the 70's while reading High Fidelity and Stereo Review magazines that were available at my high school library. I also had an uncle who was an engineer for Shure in the Chicago area and talked about quad with him. Presently living in Florida.
Hey there! I used to spend time at a comic book store in Park Ridge; a close friend worked there. I didn't hit high school age until '79, and wasn't really exposed to quad. I didn't have any family members who were into audio, either; in fact, I was the closest the family had to one. (My dad's idea of being an audiophile was to go to the audio showroom and buy whatever the salesman suggested.) So, despite my age, I'm fairly new to multichannel music.
Welcome Chris. I live just west of Gurnee.

It's a great time to get into multi-channel sound. Apple Music is just $10/month and allows access to a library of Atmos and 5.1 that would have required $1000s to acquire on disc.
As it turns out, I already have a sub to Apple Music. It's part of a free trial I got with a new phone, so I really haven't used it, but I was considering switching to it for the surround/spatial audio. But it wasn't until I came here that I learned about all of the Atmos/5.1 music they have. Fortunately, I also have an Apple TV 4K, so as soon as I get my gear set back up, I intend to explore that more thoroughly.
Pink Floyd is quite the gateway. The 30th anniversary SACD of Dark Side of the Moon was one of my first discs. Pretty shocking that we are approaching the 50th anniversary. Animals 5.1 will be out this June and the Wall is currently being mixed in 5.1.
The Wall is one of my favorite albums (mostly because of when it came out; for some reason, music from my high school days really stays with me), so that's exciting news!

The Wall is one of my favorite albums (mostly because of when it came out; for some reason, music from my high school days really stays with me), so that's exciting news!
Well, we're hoping it's coming out soon. They've been telling us for 20 years that The Wall will come out in 5.1 and we still haven't gotten it! The funniest part is that the mix is complete! :ROFLMAO:

Hi! Just found this forum thanks to a mention by someone on AVSForum. I have only recently started dabbling in multichannel audio, and it almost started accidentally: I got a Sony UHD player that also supports SACD and DVD-A, so I tracked down a 5.1 SACD of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, and that was that.

I look forward to digging into the technical stuff in particular, as I would like to really elevate my multichannel audio game. :)

Anyway, nice to meet you all!

--Chris
Welcome Chris! I always say about the same thing, you will not find a better Forum out there for MC music and the knowledge of all things anywhere near the subject, technical, historical and everything in between. Plus, some good folks. Enjoy.

I lived in Plymouth, MI for about 5 years...a real stretch from Chicago, but for me, what an experience being a California West Coast person.

Well, we're hoping it's coming out soon. They've been telling us for 20 years that The Wall will come out in 5.1 and we still haven't gotten it! The funniest part is that the mix is complete! :ROFLMAO:
Madness! Any clue what's holding up a release? Some kind of rights issues? Roger Waters unhappy with it? Weird industry politics?
Welcome Chris! I always say about the same thing, you will not find a better Forum out there for MC music and the knowledge of all things anywhere near the subject, technical, historical and everything in between. Plus, some good folks. Enjoy.
Everyone has been super friendly, which is awesome. I'm autistic, and jumping into a new community is difficult normally, but the welcoming nature of everyone here has made it easy-peasy.
I lived in Plymouth, MI for about 5 years...a real stretch from Chicago, but for me, what an experience being a California West Coast person.
I actually moved out west and lived in the San Diego area for ten years, then moved back. My (now ex) was born in Detroit but lived most of her life in LA or Las Vegas; when the first winter hit, she stopped speaking to me for a long time. :p

Welcome, Chris!

There is a ton of information throughout this forum and a bunch of people here that are very willing to help out.

I originally grew up in an area of Chicago called New Town, around Broadway and Belmont Avenue. That was changed to Boy’s Town. Who the heck knows what they call it now. Probably, Drive By. :LOL:

Madness! Any clue what's holding up a release? Some kind of rights issues? Roger Waters unhappy with it? Weird industry politics?
To give a bit of additional information, as of August 2021 James Guthrie said he was "nearly done" with the Wall 5.1 and there had been some COVID related delays. Guthrie had previously commented that there were so many splices and dropping in of sound effects that is was a nightmare to recreate these for the 5.1.

Beyond that, Pink Floyd has a road map for spacing out releases. MLOR remix, then Pulse, now Animals 5.1 has been slotted in for June 2022. I'm not sure what else Gilmour and company have planned to release from the Later Years, but they will undoubtedly space out the Wall 5.1 accordingly whenever it's done.

Back