Hello from Pennsylvania!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazarus

Hi, everyone! My name is Benji. After giving it much thought and debate, I’ve decided to take the plunge and join Quadraphonic Quad. I hope I’m posting this in the right place — if not, please redirect me to where I need to go, as I’m completely new to these types of online forums. I’m a little nervous because I don’t want to make myself look stupid in front of all of you, so go easy on me. 😃

This is probably going to sound really weird, considering that i know this post is being read by a lot of experts and knowledgeable people right now, but I don’t own any surround equipment or systems at all, and I also know zilch about it. Not a single piece of audio hardware is in my house. It’s mainly because my house (or more specifically, my living room) isn’t built for stuff like that. I just don't have the space for it, and also I don’t have the money to afford it. Even if I did have the funds and the space needed for home audio gear, I would have one helluva time trying to set it up, anyway, because it would probably result in me blowing a fuse, or something. That’s how much of a novice I am, lol. When it comes to anything audio-related, I’m probably the dumbest person you’ll ever meet. I know some of the basics about surround formats and audio codecs, but that’s about it.

As for the things I do own, I have a DVD / VCR combo, but it doesn’t play DVD-Audio, just DVD-Video. And although I do have a Blu-ray player, it’s not a regular one that’s connected to my TV. It’s actually just a portable machine. Oh, and that doesn’t even play DVD-Audio, either! Pathetic, I know.

Now, you’re probably wondering why the heck I’ve decided to join a forum like this, being that I don’t own any home audio equipment and I also don’t have even a shred of knowledge or experience with it. Even though I don’t know the first thing about any of this stuff, it’s honestly something that I’m really interested in regardless, and I’d love to learn more about it, which is why I’m here. Despite the fact that I don’t have a surround sound system, I’m still a huge fan of multi-channel music. I have a pretty decent-sized collection of 5.1 albums on both DVD-Video and DVD-Audio, as well as a Dolby Atmos album on Blu-ray (to be specific, it’s Steven Wilson’s latest release, “The Future Bites”).

Even long before I ever thought about becoming a member of QQ, I’ve looked around this forum many different times, and it really seems like a wonderful community to be a part of. That being said, I look forward to getting to know all of you here and expanding my knowledge and appreciation of the audiophile universe. Thanks for letting me join you.

And by the way, sorry that this intro was so long-winded. I’m a big chatterbox. 😆😆😆

Cheers! ✌

Last edited:
Hi, everyone! My name is Benji. After giving it much thought and debate, I’ve decided to take the plunge and join Quadraphonic Quad. I hope I’m posting this in the right place — if not, please redirect me to where I need to go, as I’m completely new to these types of online forums. I’m a little nervous because I don’t want to make myself look stupid in front of all of you, so go easy on me. 😃

This is probably going to sound really weird, considering that i know this post is being read by a lot of experts and knowledgeable people right now, but I don’t own any surround equipment or systems at all, and I also know zilch about it. Not a single piece of audio hardware is in my house. It’s mainly because my house (or more specifically, my living room) isn’t built for stuff like that, and also because I don’t have the money to afford it. Even if I did have the funds and the space needed for home audio gear, I would have one helluva time trying to set it up, anyway, because it would probably result in me blowing a fuse, or something. That’s how much of a novice I am, lol. When it comes to anything audio-related, I’m probably the dumbest person you’ll ever meet. I know some of the basics about surround formats and audio codecs, but that’s about it.

As for the things I do own, I have a DVD / VCR combo, but it doesn’t play DVD-Audio, just DVD-Video. And although I do have a Blu-ray player, it’s not a regular one that’s connected to my TV. It’s actually just a portable machine. Oh, and that doesn’t even play DVD-Audio, either! Pathetic, I know.

Now, you’re probably wondering why the heck I’ve decided to join a forum like this, being that I don’t own any home audio equipment and I also don’t have even a shred of knowledge or experience with it. Even though I don’t know the first thing about any of this stuff, it’s honestly something that I’m really interested in regardless, and I’d love to learn more about it, which is why I’m here. Despite the fact that I don’t have a surround sound system, I’m still a huge fan of multi-channel music. I have a pretty decent-sized collection of 5.1 albums on both DVD-Video and DVD-Audio, as well as a Dolby Atmos album on Blu-ray (to be specific, it’s Steven Wilson’s latest release, “The Future Bites”).

Even long before I ever thought about becoming a member of QQ, I’ve looked around this forum many different times, and it really seems like a wonderful community to be a part of. That being said, I look forward to getting to know all of you here and expanding my knowledge and appreciation of the audiophile universe. Thanks for letting me join you.

And by the way, sorry that this intro was so long-winded. I’m a big chatterbox. 😆😆😆

Cheers! ✌

U dont need alot of $$$ to join the fun... Just a basic 5.1 speaker array n a old 5.1 avr will get u going. Buy used. Save $ . Atmos will downmix to 5.1 just fine

Benji, you sound just like me 50 years ago! I cobbled together a Dynaquad system using my parents Magnavox console along with three other junk speakers people were throwing away. At the time, I thought that this junky setup was the most magnificent thing I’d ever heard. So your foray into surround sound will eventually reap great rewards. Welcome.

Welcome... What part of PA are you from? I'm in the Allentown Area.

Instead of speakers... You could explore the world of multi-channel with an Apple TV and a pair of Air Pod Max headphones... And if you are close by... I could let you demo the ultimate in virtual surround sound audio with my Smyth Realiser.

Back