Hello from Raleigh North Carolina

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phaelon56

Just joined the forum yesterday, as I will finally be installing my home theater gear, which I've owned for many years, this fall after cutting and rebuilding a bonus room in the second floor of our new house. I've been into music and stereo audio equipment for my entire life since my mid teens, and had various bits and pieces of Home Theater equipment starting in the early 90s when I owned an Atlantic technologies model 150 - one of the very first home theaters in a box. Had a 32 inch Sony trinitron, a pioneer LC1000 laser disc player, and a VHS- Hi-Fi deck. Dolby pro logic was a new thing at the time, and it was a pretty big deal.

Fast forward to the present day. I got married for the first time in 2016, move to North Carolina in 2017, and we bought a house - new to us - in 2018. I have a decent set of Home Theater gear that consists of all NHT speakers including two subwoofer amps to power the side firing 8-in woofers of the ST4 towers, Outlaw audio 7125 channel 7x125wpc amplifier, and have now replaced the dipole side surrounds with a pair of Super Xero XU to match the rear centers surrounds. Didn't have the money to buy nht's in ceiling speakers at $350 each, so I cheaped out and grabbed two pairs of Sony ICS 800 to weigh ceiling speakers with directional tweeters, on Amazon Prime day for $119 per pair. I anticipate my usage of this room to be 60% to 70% surround music listening and the remainder of that to be television and movie watching. I have my eye on a used Anthem AVM60 pre/pro (also considering a Yamaha 8802, but what I'm reading indicates that the Anthem might be better for music. Any thoughts on that?

I have my eye on a used Anthem AVM60 pre/pro

What are you thinking using for extra channel amplification as it looks like you’ll have 5.2.4?

If you may be better off grabbing a used AVR with analog outs. Drive 7 of your 9 floor/ceiling speakers with your Outlaw and use 2 of the AVR amplifiers for two. If you have a large room that leaves spare amplifiers if you ever get the itch to upgrade to 7.2.4.

What are you thinking using for extra channel amplification as it looks like you’ll have 5.2.4?

If you may be better off grabbing a used AVR with analog outs. Drive 7 of your 9 floor/ceiling speakers with your Outlaw and use 2 of the AVR amplifiers for two. If you have a large room that leaves spare amplifiers if you ever get the itch to upgrade to 7.2.4.
I have 7 floor speakers - L, C, R, two side surrounds, and two rear surrounds = total of 7 plus four Atmos. I thought about getting an avr, but I like the idea of having balanced inputs and outputs, which I'm going to have available on many pre/pro u it's. Looking at Emotiva BasX 4 channel amp for the Atmos. I have given thought to using an AVR as the processor, and using four of its amps to power the ceiling speakers, but I think I can do a used Anthem AvM60 or Marantz 8802 plus the Emotiva amp for about the same price.

Back