Hello from the UK

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to start off by saying I feel like a fraud. I have never heard a surround sound album in my life. However, I’d like to and I have started buying a few discs off eBay. I have been a very keen lifelong hi-fi enthusiast so I’m half way there. All I need now is an AV receiver - I’m on the lookout. I think it might be prudent to buy one equipped with Dolby Atmos as this might future proof it - thoughts? I have been reading a lot of yours posts and feel this is a good place to be - to pick your brains. Forgive me if I have questions, especially stupid ones!

Thanks in advance.

Welcome. I don't think any AVR is future proof as they seem to be designed as throw away products these days, but Atmos capability certainly is the most recent surround format. You need to be sure you have the proper space available for the speaker array. Three front R/C/L speakers, at least 2 surrounds (you can use more) At least 2 ceiling or upper wall mounted height speakers, (again you can use more), and subwoofer(s) if your front L/R pair are not truly full range.

You will get plenty of advise here.

I wouldn't spend a lot to start with, go to Richer Sounds and buy a surround package of amp & speakers ideally with a player to get started, that is what I did back in 2001. Then I spent my money on loads of surround discs, then upgraded the player (thrice) ending up with an Oppo which does SACD/DVDA/BDA/CD, then the speakers, then the amp. Sadly most manufacturers of AV Amps never do software updates as I have discovered having spent £2k on one in 2013 :mad:

There is not a single member here who did not have a "first time" experience with surround. We don't expect people to be experts - just enthusiasts. Most of us here love to bring new ears into the fold, so please join in and do not be afraid to ask questions. Someone else out there is probably wondering the same thing.

Welcome!

Thanks for all your comments. I think I’ll start off with a second hand receiver as their value does seem to plummet as soon as a new feature comes into fashion. Better to spend the money on the music I think.
Might also consider something like a used oppo 103 Universal player; there's a ton of great stuff out there (that can also be had used) in Quad & surround variants in SACD, Blu-ray, DVDs, DTS-CDs etc. If you don't already have something like that, don't think you mentioned that yet?

Yes, forgot to mention that I already have a Sony UHP H1 blu ray player which plays anything I throw at it - SACD, DVD Audio etc. Happy with it so far.
Coming from a Hi-Fi 2 channel only background, I’m puzzled as to why there isn’t an audio only processor on the market. I understand the convenience of having the video and audio signal on one cable (HDMI) but wouldn’t it sound better to just process the audio without having to pass the video signals through the unit? Is there another benefit?
One other question - is there a difference between sending the signal from a blu ray player via a digital connection (optical/coax) vs HDMI?

Thanks again.

Yes, forgot to mention that I already have a Sony UHP H1 blu ray player which plays anything I throw at it - SACD, DVD Audio etc. Happy with it so far.
Coming from a Hi-Fi 2 channel only background, I’m puzzled as to why there isn’t an audio only processor on the market. I understand the convenience of having the video and audio signal on one cable (HDMI) but wouldn’t it sound better to just process the audio without having to pass the video signals through the unit? Is there another benefit?
One other question - is there a difference between sending the signal from a blu ray player via a digital connection (optical/coax) vs HDMI?

Thanks again.
Yes, most optical/co-ax digital links can not handle the bandwidth for lossless surround, so ok stereo or for say DD 5.1, but not for surround PCM or the newer hi-res DTS/DD HD or Atmos. So best to use HDMI.

Thanks again.
What sort of budget are you looking at? I'm a big fan of the Sony STR-DN1080 as an entry-level AVR and it plays very well with the UHP-H1. For a more upmarket AVR you might want to look refurb instead of used - in the USA accessories4less is a good place to go for that, I assume there's a UK option as well.

What sort of budget are you looking at? I'm a big fan of the Sony STR-DN1080 as an entry-level AVR and it plays very well with the UHP-H1. For a more upmarket AVR you might want to look refurb instead of used - in the USA accessories4less is a good place to go for that, I assume there's a UK option as well.
I had a look at the Sony DN1080 but it lacks pre outputs which I think might be useful if I want a better amp (at least for the main L & R). It is also difficult to get hold of in the UK. I’m keeping an eye on eBay as I think it better to let the first owner take the financial hit on what seems to be a fast depreciating item.

Back