HiRez Poll Helmet of Gnats - HELMET OF GNATS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Helmet of Gnats - HELMET OF GNATS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters
I really like most songs on this disc. Even the one made up of ambient sound effects. A little fusion/progressive with a slight 70's feel. Might be all that B-3. Great players and a good 5.1 mix. No vocal though. It is interesting that they played it mostly live in the studio.

Possibly the warmest SACD I've heard; recorded to analog mostly live may be the strongest reason. It reminds you of prog bands without falling into the cliche of clone prog. This SACD has a nice mix and I daresay it's catchy in places but not in a pop manner. May not be your cup of tea but I'd say it's worth a listen...

Hi.

I think that this is a really good disc for those who like instrumental prog rock and it's very deserving of more attention than I've found so far on this forum. For its kind it's really good in all aspects of songs, musicianship, analog tape-to-DSD SACD sound quality, stereo and 5.1 mixes. Quite recommended and I'll give it an all-around 9.

It's still available for std. pricing.

Joel

Last edited:
Picked this up on a lark for what I would consider average pricing from Amazon ($16 I think, and "new" direct from Amazon) - not the cheapest SACD I've bought recently, in fact one of the most expensive (I've been trolling the used category on Amazon's marketplace for lots of titles).

Pretty good - very much the kind of prog-rock-fusion-jazz sound I like. Fairly aggressive use of surrounds, with a nice overall sound - "warm" as others say, I suppose. Little hints of influences from all kinds of good music under the sun.

I would say a solid 8, maybe a 9. Hmmm, yes, as far as surround mix and quality of recording go, a definite 9. The music is also very good and very varied in mood and tone (even within songs - I guess that could be a hallmark of jazz/prog), so if you are into this stuff, I think a 9 overall would be fair.

shinksma

in what's become a rather alarming trend on SACDs that have seemingly been plentiful and easy to get for the longest time, I just bought what Amazon UK were calling their last copy of this one..! :yikes

As I'm heavily into Prog, love Jazz, and a bit of Fusion, I just ordered this via amazon so I'll wait to see if it gets cancelled. Which has set me wondering why did we not get any more Isley Brothers released in 5.1!

As I'm heavily into Prog, love Jazz, and a bit of Fusion, I just ordered this via amazon so I'll wait to see if it gets cancelled. Which has set me wondering why did we not get any more Isley Brothers released in 5.1!

Amazon were probably telling porkies and it wasn't their last copy! :D

Oh how I wish all the Isley Quads had been re-released in 5.1 (there's quite a few.. "Live It Up", "The Heat Is On", "Harvest For The World", "Go For Your Guns"..)

Amazon were probably telling porkies and it wasn't their last copy! :D

Oh how I wish all the Isley Quads had been re-released in 5.1 (there's quite a few.. "Live It Up", "The Heat Is On", "Harvest For The World", "Go For Your Guns"..)

Its on its way!

"Summer Breeze" from 3+3 was always on the jukebox in the University bar, somehow through the alcoholic haze I managed to read what the single was and went out and bought the album. All their albums were released in SQ, so a few more I can add to my hunt for list!

Its on its way!

"Summer Breeze" from 3+3 was always on the jukebox in the University bar, somehow through the alcoholic haze I managed to read what the single was and went out and bought the album. All their albums were released in SQ, so a few more I can add to my hunt for list!

yeay! good job Amazon are lying turds! :D

haha! Summer Breeze through an alcoholic haze! LOVE IT! (y)

I don't think you'll have much hassle picking up the Isley SQ's, I see them all the time on eBay.. the Q8's on the other hand.. are.. Super Rare-ee-o Isley Brothers..!! :ugham:

I saw this band at NEARfest a few years back and they put on a very entertaining show. I was really pleased to see that they had a multi-channel SACD release. As others have mentioned it's a winner. The music is prog/fusion-y with a rather vintage vibe (but not derivative). There's plenty of clever twists and turns to the music and a good deal of humor. It's a fine surround mix with some entertaining panning when appropriate. The center channel features drums (kick and snare most prominently) and bass. The balance took me a few moments to warm up to but I think it's effective.

I'd give it a solid 8 with an unscientific extra point for the good concert memories - 9.

Interesting design, indeed. There is even no indication on the disc that it is an SACD album by Helmet of Gnats (at least I couldn't find it).

Anyone have the single layer version or know where to buy it?

Back