Help for a noob converting SACD to multichannel FLAC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't ever do shuffle play, you may not even notice the format issue I ran into. I usually play just one album and it will always be the same format, but every once in a while, I shuffle my library when I can't choose what to listen to, and that is when I noticed that it will get funky between tracks if the format changes, if your player is doing pasthrough, and the Oppo is doing the decoding.
I don't ever do shuffle play. It really screws up classical music.
I have not used any of my Oppos for decoding since I acquired multichannel DACs.
That said, I will give it a try next weekend.

I don't ever do shuffle play. It really screws up classical music.
I have not used any of my Oppos for decoding since I acquired multichannel DACs.
That said, I will give it a try next weekend.
I have a multichannel DAC and an Oppo, connected to the same PC, Oppo HDMI and DAC, USB. The DAC only does PCM. My NuForce preamp has two 7.1 inputs. What I like is that both the Oppo (WASAPI) and the DAC (ASIO) can playback simultaneously, and I can switch between the two with one push of a button. Foobar (x2), Kodi, and Audition is what I normally use for playback. Shuffle playing has a time and place, but Classical doesn't shuffle well. Haha. Thanks for all your feedback!

assuming I make redundant backups of my PCM library, and also keep my SACDs, this a must-do because...?
I realize that I may sound like a guy who simultaneously wears a belt and suspenders but you have nothing to lose by holding onto those ISO rips that you put so much time into obtaining. Whatever happens with your SACDs or hard drives, the ISOs hold the key to unlocking the music into virtually any format you choose. With the ever falling cost of hard drive space, why not add ISO files to your redundant backups? Just my two cents; you still have to do you.

I have an issue that I thought I would see if any of you have an answer for. I have my entire library converted to flac and use foobar to play, but the sacd's that I have ripped all play fine but don't show a track duration,just have a ? in that field. Is there something I'm doing wrong when I rip them or is there any way to update the file with the track length? A minor issue but would like a solution. Thanks for any ideas.

K

I have an issue that I thought I would see if any of you have an answer for. I have my entire library converted to flac and use foobar to play, but the sacd's that I have ripped all play fine but don't show a track duration,just have a ? in that field. Is there something I'm doing wrong when I rip them or is there any way to update the file with the track length? A minor issue but would like a solution. Thanks for any ideas.

K
What does the Media Info app say about them?

What does the Media Info app say about them?
Have never used that app. Just loaded it and it's processing my files now but in the meantime I went back thru the process and notice that after I've run ISO2DSD and load the iso file in foobar, it shows times for each song. But after I use foobar to convert them to flac is when they no longer show a length. Guess it's something in foobar, but I sure don't see any options to change. And it's not going to be a big enough deal for me to want to redo all of them but if there's something I can do going forward?

K

Have never used that app. Just loaded it and it's processing my files now but in the meantime I went back thru the process and notice that after I've run ISO2DSD and load the iso file in foobar, it shows times for each song. But after I use foobar to convert them to flac is when they no longer show a length. Guess it's something in foobar, but I sure don't see any options to change. And it's not going to be a big enough deal for me to want to redo all of them but if there's something I can do going forward?

K
Media Info doesn't process anything. It just tells you the format properties in detail.

I ended up trying homer's music media helper and its resample option and just had it resample to the same 44.1/24 bit rate that it started at and now it shows times for those files. ??? I won't argue with success and thats a pretty easy solution.

K

Back