Help I'm totally new to this!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

K Holed

Okay here goes. I've heard of quadraphonics but until recently I'd never heard it. I'm a pink floyd fan and I knew that 'The Dark side of the Moon' had been released as a quadraphonic recording but I hadn't heard it. Last week I went to Glstonbury festival here in England where Roger Waters was playing. Needless to say he had a quadraphonic set up and it blew me away! I now feel that I NEED to get into this quadraphonic thing. I guess what I want to know is, where do I start?

Where can I get an amp?
What amp should I get?
Are there many working amps still out there?
How much am I looking at?
What other equipment do I need?
etc. etc.

So many questions I know but I have nowhere left to turn. Any help would be much appreaciated.

The best way to get "into" quad, or more currently "surround sound" or "multichannel", is to get a modern system that can play DTS CDs created from old quad tapes and discs, and that can play the new DVD-A and SACD discs that are appearing around the world.

To start out with a "classic" or "vintage" system, you could go to eBay and find a SANSUI QRX-9001 or 8001, a Q8 deck like an AKAI CR-80D-SS, a CD-4 compatible cartridge and turntable, and start looking for software!

It can be fun to do it the old way, but the new way is not bad either.

I'm sure others will chime in here. GOOD LUCK and WELCOME.

:-jon

There were three popular quad systems for LPs. These are SQ, QS, and CD-4. The Pink Floyd music was on SQ. SQ and QS were matrix systems, sort of like Dolby surround or Dolby pro logic. (not Dolby Digital) CD-4 was a discrete setup, meaning that instead of "matrixing" four channels into two, it actually recorded four channels on the record. CD-4 is my favorite among the old quad systems. It was called "discrete" indicating that the channels, for all practical purposes, were kept separate from each other. This makes for better separation in the final product. CD-4 requires a special cartridge and a compatible turntable. SQ and QS will work with any turntable and cartridge as long as it is stereo. Although the SQ and QS decoders were not that good in the receivers, that would be the best way to go for a starter system. There are plenty of receivers that have CD-4 demodulators for quadradiscs (CD-4) as well. The big Sansui quad receivers are a good choice because they have the variomatrix QS decoders that do a credible job with QS records. They will also do SQ, while not as good, and they are equipped with CD-4 demodulators which require a totally different type of circuitry. Buying a Sansui receiver is the only way to get a Variomatrix decoder relatively cheaply. The equipment is well built, being of fine quality, but will need some work because of age if it has been in the closet all of these years. Now you need a turntable that was built in the seventies so that the wiring will be compatible, and a CD-4 cartridge. The Audio Technica AT331LP is not sold as a quad cart, but works very well for CD-4. Also, it is possible to get quad from quad eight tapes (eight track) and Q4 reel to reel tapes, though the reel tapes are harder to find and usually bring a good price on Ebay. So, log on to Ebay and I wish you "happy Hunting" as you look for vintage quad gear. Also, you can use modern 5.1 surround sound gear and use DTS dubs availlable from several quaddies that frequent these pages. (they are very good) The modern gear will also play the dolby and DTS tracks on DVD Audio discs, which have more than four channels. If you buy modern stuff, make sure it has a set of analog inputs for a DVD Audio or SACD player. You can also connect a CD-4 demodulator to these inputs since a demodulator has it's own phono preamp. (note, any turntable you use for CD-4 must not have a built in preamp). You can also hook up a tape deck to these inputs, either reel to reel or a Q8 deck. Make sure the receiver you buy has full control of the auxillary inputs, some don't. Incidently there were several Pink Floyd albums produced in quad, these are: Dark Side of the Moon, Atom Heart Mother, and Wish You Were Here. They sound quite good in quad. Any more questions, feel free to ask.

The Quadfather

One more thing. Read all the old posts on these web pages. Especially the ones in the equipment sections. You can learn a lot from them, and get to know the quaddies here.

The Quadfather

For some basic info try this site:

www.geocities.com/quadaudio/

eBay auction site is a handy place to buy stuff but you takes yer' chances. In larger cities with stores offering used audio gear one can often find used quad stuff and can check it out before buying.

One can go the "modern route" and use the latest technology. I haven't kept up with the new stuff but there are some pros here that do.

Budget constraints affect some. I watch eBay and go for the good deals. I bid X amount and stop. I lose 98% of the time. Once in awhile I get lucky. I've even had folks e-mail me offering to buy what I have won.

I gotta' stand-alone decoder, a Sony SQA-2030, in excellent condition cheap. I was offered twice what I paid for it!!!!! Perseverance furthers!!!!

Since the old stuff is just that, old, there is something to be said for buying the newest stuff if it's affordable. Some folks like the retro thrill of using the old stuff.

Also, one has to consider their goals. After several years of messing around I decided to basically pursue the conversion of stereo to a surround sound using various decoders to synthesize the quad effect. The advent of CD's helped me to arrive at this decision since my decoders slurp up a CD's stereo output and do a wondrous job of creating a synthesized surround sound field... much better then when the source is from a vinyl recod, tape, FM radio, etc.

Some folks demand a surround sound from encoded sources. THat's fine. I, too, have my collection of encoded source material. However, the ability to synthesize surround is my prime motivator. One reason I like my Vario-Matrix so much. That, and my recently acquired Circle Surround decoder whose output is fed into the Vario-Matrix in my QRX-9001. I love the audio output. I won't declare it will match the good stuff the other guys have but, for my budget and listening tastes I'm thrilled.

Depending upon your aural desires, lusts, longings, etc. you have to determine what route to use. A basic system using the quad or surround sound synthesizing approach will be much cheaper than a dedicated system aimed at decoding encoded material.

You could start small and work your way up. For basic amplification there is always the "double stereo" route. Name brand basic stereo receivers are dirt cheap, especially when on sale. I recently bought a Technics 100 watt per channel stereo new for $100. Sounds just fine to me. With two of them you have you 4-channels of amplification. Add a decoder and you're on your way!!!

Not all decoders are created equal. But, any decoder is better than none at all. Later name brand decoders made from 1974 onwards tend to have various forms of logic that improve the surround sound. Some adore the Sansui Vario-Matrix system while others with the bux go after the Tate decoder. Lafayette also made some good decoders as well a Sony.

Check out Tab's site for a neato peek at how some decoders operate. And, if you see one for sale ask what others think about its abiltity to decode.

Okay. Yhat's enuff from me. There are various routes you can take and none are right or wrong, they're just different. No matter which path you trod you will likely think as I do... after any style of surround sound, new or old, basic or fancy/expensive, plain old boring stereo is just that... boring!!!

Hey K

Welcome to our humble little home here. I am a relatively new member here as well but everyone here has alays given great information and are very friendly and helpful. I would agree with everyone that the fun way to do quad is to look for all the pieces to play quad the original way, however, this can be expensive (especially with some of the prices I have seen on EBAY. The DTS discs that can be found are quite good (I actually can't say enough good things about the titles I have picked up) and probably in some instances might be better than listening to a quad tape (things can get nicely cleaned and sound really pretty with some extra work). I have several discs like this and I have to say I hardly listen to my regular cds compared to the quad cds I have found. I am currently looking for an 8track player or reel that I can actually afford but until then I will just continue to collect DTS cds of my favorite titles. By the way... if you have a fast internet connection you may want to look into a little newsgroup called alt.binaries.cd.image.other ...... Many DTS conversions of SACD, DVD-A, and quad titles are available there for the downloading.

Bob

If you want a reel to reel, An Akai GX280DSS is a good one. The GX indicates glass ferrite heads that just don't wear out easily. Therefore a machine purchased now can sound just as good as it did when it came off the showroom floor. There are other brands of reel recorders with glass heads, but I don't know what they are. Tascam still makes them for musicians. I took a fellow to my sound system recently while my reel was playing, and he thought I was taping him. I had to stop the tape. He didn't realize that the music was coming from this old machine. There is one caveat. The Akai machine has a technical problem, which requires a lot of work to fix, but once repaired, it will never reappear, and the machine will be very reliable. Incidently, any quad Akai tape machine that is quad will have the SS designation.

The Quadfather

Incidently, if you want to see some nice quad setups, check under "Our Systems" on the previous page.

The Quadfather

Back