Help in choosing a Dobly Atmos height speaker

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djstephan

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Hello everyone,

I have been thinking about going Dolby Atmos from my 5.1 system. My setup is somewhat unusual in that all 4 speakers are on the ceiling. Im attaching a couple of pictures so you have a better idea of my listening/family room.

My questions is:

In my set up can I use a "height speaker"? and if so where would i put it?
Also feel free to recommend any speakers that would work with my setup. The speakers are KEF e305 (eggs!) I'm willing to spend around $300-$400 for the pair.

Thanks to all in advance.
image0.jpegimage1.jpeg

the bed layers need to be at ear level for Atmos to work. I’d consider using your existing speakers as Atmos and buying new floor standers or wall mounted speakers for LCR and surround.

I had to retype my original post as I suspected this was a "better half" problem...you could step up to the plate and put speakers where you need to...always easier to ask for forgiveness...than permission...c'mon now..how long could she/he be angry...and the audio system will last a long time...just saying :whistle:

I had to retype my original post as I suspected this was a "better half" problem...you could step up to the plate and put speakers where you need to...always easier to ask for forgiveness...than permission...c'mon now..how long could she/he be angry...and the audio system will last a long time...just saying :whistle:

Thanks Clint !!

truth be told this is my second marriage .. and I would get my way (eventually).. I would definitely hear comments like .. how many speakers do you need etc.. (oh yeah the wires would also be in the way btw.). and we all here know that after 7.1 comes 9.2 , 11.2 and a call to the divorce lawyer(just kidding )
I am smiling as I write this btw..
Also I’m the only one who enjoys our crazy hobby in the household .. my 8 year old just goes wow to the sound when I pop in a minions blu ray .. oh well he’s got to start somewhere right ??

Thanks Clint !!

truth be told this is my second marriage .. and I would get my way (eventually).. I would definitely hear comments like .. how many speakers do you need etc.. (oh yeah the wires would also be in the way btw.). and we all here know that after 7.1 comes 9.2 , 11.2 and a call to the divorce lawyer(just kidding )
I am smiling as I write this btw..
Also I’m the only one who enjoys our crazy hobby in the household .. my 8 year old just goes wow to the sound when I pop in a minions blu ray .. oh well he’s got to start somewhere right ??

You have an 8 year old son...that changes everything...YOU owe it to him...to his musical growth....where else is he going to hear music that isn't compressed...he won't learn about such things in schools and his friends probably have never experienced such glory...as far as your wife goes...if she dares to give you any grief about the number of speakers you have... take her to her closet and have her bring out ALL her shoes...make her count them..and simply ask her why she needs all those shoes...that's usually enough to snap them back to reality

Tell your son that with this new audio system it will unlock many musical treasures...perhaps even end up in the Nikos Kazantzakis Museum someday...

Show him this quote from Niko and tell him that exploration is not limited to the land and sea...but the melodic airwaves filled with multichannel music..

"An ardent desire to go took possession of me once more. Not because I wanted to leave-I was quite all right on this Cretan coast, and felt happy and free there and I needed nothing-but because I have always been consumed with one desire; to touch and see as much as possible of the earth and sea before I die"

Someday your son will sit down with his son and explain all this to him and your legacy will be protected and live on

You have an 8 year old son...that changes everything...YOU owe it to him...to his musical growth....where else is he going to hear music that isn't compressed...he won't learn about such things in schools and his friends probably have never experienced such glory...as far as your wife goes...if she dares to give you any grief about the number of speakers you have... take her to her closet and have her bring out ALL her shoes...make her count them..and simply ask her why she needs all those shoes...that's usually enough to snap them back to reality

Tell your son that with this new audio system it will unlock many musical treasures...perhaps even end up in the Nikos Kazantzakis Museum someday...

Show him this quote from Niko and tell him that exploration is not limited to the land and sea...but the melodic airwaves filled with multichannel music..

"An ardent desire to go took possession of me once more. Not because I wanted to leave-I was quite all right on this Cretan coast, and felt happy and free there and I needed nothing-but because I have always been consumed with one desire; to touch and see as much as possible of the earth and sea before I die"

Someday your son will sit down with his son and explain all this to him and your legacy will be protected and live on

Thank you Clint for your insightful reply. Points well made.There are many good, knowledgeable people here in QQland and for as long as I have been member (close to 10 years) I have been reading YOUR posts and replies through the years and have always found them rational and to the point, so thanks again for taking the time.

I'm 59, my son is 8 years old ,I was blessed late in life but we have a blast (as much as we can) . His musical tastes trend toward his mom's ...mellow music ..Celine Dion, 80's pop etc. again, all of it pretty much on the mellow side. I try to swing him my way..I'm a 60's-70's classic rock kinda guy. We have played John Lennon's 'Imagine "to death , he enjoys and is mesmerized by the title tack( who wasn't for a while?) , and we dance to "Oh Yoko".. so I will get to the technical aspect of our crazy hobby in due time , I definitely don't want him to be an mp3 kid..

As far as the shoes in my wife's closet..I'll defend her ..she is not a big spender..If anyone is ..it's me..And to top it off she OWNS a shoe store!!.. and no she doesn't own a ton of shoes...Just don't call me Al Bundy..:)

I hope all of you one day get to to experience the Cretan sea as I have .

Cheers

Back