Help needed: Zenith Turntable Console

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boonie

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, please move if it's not, but I need some help with my system. When I got it, the turntable wouldn't turn. It loosened up after a couple days, but then stopped again. I took it in to be fixed, and was told the grease had just gotten hard and it just needed a good cleaning. However, I 2as also told that the cartridge needed replaced, and had been hard wired in at some point. My stereo guy seems to be having a hard time finding a cartridge, so is there anyone on here that might have a part number they could share with me, maybe a source of parts? Also, this is a long shot, but would anyone happen to have a source for the cartridge adaptor that it plugs into? I hate being the guy that joins a forum and immediately asks for help, but I'm desperate to get my quad spinning again. I've searched the web, but I'm hoping maybe yall have some sources I can't find, or maybe a stash or your own. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• 20210711_104613.jpg
    20210711_104613.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 71
Welcome to the forum!

Can't be of any help, but wanted to say that's a cool looking system. I didn't know there was quad in consoles... Great retro action! Good luck. I'm sure the great community here will find a way to help you- and gladly!

I'm sorry, I felt I forgot something in this post. Yes, it's a zenith make, model f946 or f947. The tag on the back is missing the last number, and the owners manual lists both numbers.

I'm sorry, I felt I forgot something in this post. Yes, it's a zenith make, model f946 or f947. The tag on the back is missing the last number, and the owners manual lists both numbers.
Sorry, didn't think I'd heard of it (we never got Zenith stuff here in the UK), but out of interest I had a very quick search of Google which revealed that there is already a thread about it on this very forum-

console-zenith-allegro-allemande

But I now remember the thread (and that I'd made a flippant post there!). The discussion there seemed to indicate it had a ceramic cartridge with a flip over 78 / 33 stylus.

Last edited:
A guy who is excellent with old stereos and consoles is Gary at the Voice of Music site. He may be able to help you. Also, a member of the AudioKarma forums "orthophonic" is an expert, too.

Can you post a picture of the cartridge looking up at it from the bottom while it's in the arm?

Doug

OK, after reading the other thread, I see it has a BSR changer in it. There was mention of it having a Tetrad cartridge which, if we saw a picture, could confirm.

Doug

My guess is it is a Tetrad cartridge with originally a four pin connector. It can be tough to find a working old stock ceramic, almost need to find a new production one. They were made in grades color coded with a dot somewhere, as to the output level. And the connector is needed, they used to come with the cartridge leads attached. Some small work there if trying to splice those tiny (30awg?) wires. Cart might be identifiable with a clear picture or turntable model number found on a sticker under the chassis.

Tetrads have different colors of collars around the back end for identification, too. Gary's Voice of Music site has Tetrad cartridges.

Doug

I can't post a pic of the cart right now, it's at the stereo shop. I'll go by after work and see if I can get one. And the chassis number also

Back