help where to buy shibata?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aifrecords

many hours so far online looking, the problem is is that I do a search for shibata stylus and or cartridge , then up pops amazon listings from lp gear etc and the frequency responses(even though they have shibata in the title) only go up to 22hz and i need it to go to 45-50 khz in order to play cd-4 quad vinyl. then theres ebay ,which seems to just have stylus i need the whole thing cause none of these sellers really list compatible cartridges or frequency specs and my turntable is a teac P-A688 and the cartridge on it is a audio technica 3600, help please.... where do u buy this? and what exactly is the model number?

Good luck....I requested info from any one who had found a suitable newly remanufactured stylus (from lp gear or such) that would work with an audio technica at 15sa body and have not received any feedback. I was hoping someone might have purchased a stylus from one of the websites that worked. I noticed several options listed from $125 on up, but am wary of making an expensive purchase just to "see" if it works. Unfortunately, this may be our only option.

I seem to recall a few years ago one of our members in Germany had found a company to manufacture shibata styluses. This was when we thought we were getting Lou Dorrens new CD4 demodulator which sadly never happened. I do not recall that members name. is there a way to filter member info here to find QQers in Germany?

Turntable Needles has a Shibata for that cartridge:

https://www.turntableneedles.com/ATN-3600_SHIBATA_Turntable_Stylus
Although the stylus is critical for successfully playing CD-4 records. The cartridge design is equally critical. If it is not specifically made for CD-4, it may or may not work, depending on its output and separation in the 20,000 - 50,000 Hz range.

Doug
I had a 3600, as I recall it is an entry-level cart. Rated 20hz to 20khz. Vinyl Engine has specs in the Cartridge Database. I know some carts exceed published specs. I don't know if a different stylus can extend high frequency response.
https://www.vinylengine.com/cartrid...chi=&stid=&masslo=&masshi=&notes=&prlo=&prhi=

thx doug, i called turntableneedles.com the guy had no khz specs on it, and if i get it and its not compatible they want to sock me $32 restock fee on a return ,do you know that this goes up to 45-50 khz? thanks

I had a 3600, as I recall it is an entry-level cart. Rated 20hz to 20khz. Vinyl Engine has specs in the Cartridge Database. I know some carts exceed published specs. I don't know if a different stylus can extend high frequency response.
https://www.vinylengine.com/cartrid...chi=&stid=&masslo=&masshi=&notes=&prlo=&prhi=

It can but won't necessarily, for the reason I gave. The cartridge coils/magnets/etc. design may not allow it to respond to those frequencies even if the stylus can track them..

Doug

thx doug, i called turntableneedles.com the guy had no khz specs on it, and if i get it and its not compatible they want to sock me $32 restock fee on a return ,do you know that this goes up to 45-50 khz? thanks

Well, in all likelihood, the Shibata stylus can track/trace the ultra sonic frequencies necessary for CD-4. The cartridge is the crux.

Doug

many hours so far online looking, the problem is is that I do a search for shibata stylus and or cartridge , then up pops amazon listings from lp gear etc and the frequency responses(even though they have shibata in the title) only go up to 22hz and i need it to go to 45-50 khz in order to play cd-4 quad vinyl. then theres ebay ,which seems to just have stylus i need the whole thing cause none of these sellers really list compatible cartridges or frequency specs and my turntable is a teac P-A688 and the cartridge on it is a audio technica 3600, help please.... where do u buy this? and what exactly is the model number?
Keep checking eBay eventually they do come up. I just checked search for Quad cartridge and CD-4 cartridge also 4-channel cartridge, all bring up results! Quadraphonic cartridge seems to only bring up 8-track tapes.

Last edited:
Good luck....I requested info from any one who had found a suitable newly remanufactured stylus (from lp gear or such) that would work with an audio technica at 15sa body and have not received any feedback. I was hoping someone might have purchased a stylus from one of the websites that worked. I noticed several options listed from $125 on up, but am wary of making an expensive purchase just to "see" if it works. Unfortunately, this may be our only option.

I have a 15Sa and JICO Shibata and it works well for CD-4. Unfortunately I had to order from Japan as LP Tunes has been out of stock ever since I started looking.

I have had no problem using a cartridge with the right frequency response with a microline stylus instead of a Shibata, my particular one is no longer available but that may be an option.

Back