Help with 5.1 FLAC converted to WAV.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that anyones asked, but to wrap up, I think the correct conclusion of this particular discussion is that it is possible to burn 5.1 channels of 96/24 unpacked music files onto a DVD, but the result is a non-compliant DVDA (or DVDA-Plus, etc.) that may or may not play correctly on a retail DVD/BD player. And that cirlinca programs downsample rather than create a noncompliant DVDA (has yet to be thorougly verified).

I concur with Mr. Johnson. Rorah!

What you need to do is split the 5.1 FLAC in to 6 individual or mono WAVs using Audiomuxer - it labels the L, R, C, LFE, Ls & Rs, and then load these into Chrome against the yellow channel tab. You just can't do it as a single 5.1 WAV.

You can as OQG suggests in another thread suggests convert them to MLP to load into Chrome, but this is really only necessary to get more tracks on the disc - MLP is the FLAC of the DVDA world.

** Oops - although you can enter mono WAVs, you can't do this for 6 channels of 24/96 as others have pointed out. I was only thinking of half the question. **

Using AudioMuxer you can create AVCHD audio BD5 or BD9 discs for free (not counting the cheap DVD R media).

I've been trying to figure out how to get some flac multi-channel files in disc form so I can play them back on my OPPO BDP-83 in surround. It sounds like Audiomuxer might do the trick. I downloaded it and had a couple of questions about the settings. Hopefully someone familiar with the program can answer.
I know how to get the FLAC 5.1 files into the Audiomuxer program, but am not certain of the proper settings after that point. I'm not too concerned with the video options at this point.

In the Left side under the box that contains the imported FLAC files it has these checkbox options;

CUE SPLIT (BUTTON)
Split in Files (Check Box)
Rename (Check Box)
Use Current (Check Box)
Export to FLAC (Check Box)
Flac Level (Set to 6)

So, in this left side of the program, what boxes need to be checked?

On the Right side of the program it has these options;

MUX TO (should this be set to MKV or DVD?) I don't have a Blu ray burner. So, hoping I can burn to DVD and still playback.

Resolution Setting (HD 720p? Or is there a different preferable setting? Does this only impact the video images you use?)

Blank Video/Text As Subtitles (Checked or Unchecked?)
Split By (Checked or Unchecked - If Checked, what setting? Main Audio Track? There are no cue files with the FLAC files I have.)
Save Images (Checked or Unchecked?)

Export To (Checked or Unchecked? Choose AVCHD, correct? ISO (checked or unchecked?) I'm familiar with burning ISO files with IMGBurn.

4Gb Split (Checked or Unchecked?) 8.3 File Format (I'm assuming this is unchecked.)

What will I end up with? An ISO file?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

OK

Here goes....

You don't need to check any check-boxes on the left. They are options for splitting a single file via a cue sheets.

On the right:

MUX To MKV... (you won't be able to play the generated MKV on your Oppo 83, but the Blu-ray or AVCHD will work...)

You can burn the generated Blu-ray disc image on a DVD-R & play it on your Oppo.

The resolution setting only impacts images - don't worry about it if you aren't using images....

You can check "Blank Video / Text as Subtitles" to get the audio text displayed if you want...

I check "export to" & Blu-ray with the ISO box checked.

In settings (I also uncheck "Loop playback of Avchd/Blu-ray" - but thats a personal choice...

Oh - another thing to note - Blu-ray supports LPCM at 48,96 & 192K only. If your files are 44.1 or 88.2 you need to convert them....

Let us know how you get on....

Sorry - a few more things:

Blank Video/Text As Subtitles (Checked) - if you want no video....but have the metadata on ther flacs used as subtitles...
Split By ( Unchecked) - actually I've never used this....
Save Images (Unchecked) unless you want to save copy of images used...

Export To (Checked - I use Blu-ray but you can use AVCHD) ISO (checked you can then use IMGBurn to burn the ISO.

4Gb Split (Unchecked) - not needed unless you are creating a image larger than 4 GB that you want to play via a USB stick.

8.3 File Format (unchecked.) For compatibility with players that only take a 8.3 file format (e.g. PS3s)

What will I end up with? A MKV file, a Blu-ray directory structure & An ISO file

Regards the USB stick option:

On your Oppo 83 you can copy the Blu-ray structure to a USB & play that.

You need a FAT32 formatted USB stick. NTFS formatted drives won't work.

You also need to rename the Blu-ray folder to AVCHD then you can play that via the "Music" or "Movie" menu on your Oppo.

The structure should look like this:

Capture.JPG

If the Blu-ray is greater than 4GB you need to set the 4GB Split option- as FAT32 doesn't support files bigger than 4GB.

Regards the USB stick option:

On your Oppo 83 you can copy the Blu-ray structure to a USB & play that.

You need a FAT32 formatted USB stick. NTFS formatted drives won't work.

You also need to rename the Blu-ray folder to AVCHD then you can play that via the "Music" or "Movie" menu on your Oppo.

The structure should look like this:

View attachment 12342

If the Blu-ray is greater than 4GB you need to set the 4GB Split option- as FAT32 doesn't support files bigger than 4GB.

Thanks for all the very helpful info! Unfortunately, I will have to wait a bit to put it to a true test because I'm out of town on holiday. I did do a test just to see if I could successfully create an ISO file. I went ahead and added the album cover using the SELECT IMAGES button on the right side. I can't test whether or not the multi-channel is present when playing back on my laptop, but when I open up the file I created with VLC player it does play the music, with the following issues; There do not seem to be any track markings. It seems to be one continuous file of the entire album. I'm assuming this is because there was no cue file present? Is there a way to resolve this so the initial 12 individual tracks don't come out as one long recording? Also, I'm less concerned about this, but the video image I selected does not show up during playback on VLC. It also does not seem to be retaining the song title info that is present when I scroll through the individual FLAC files in Audiomuxer.

Thanks for all the very helpful info! Unfortunately, I will have to wait a bit to put it to a true test because I'm out of town on holiday. I did do a test just to see if I could successfully create an ISO file. I went ahead and added the album cover using the SELECT IMAGES button on the right side. I can't test whether or not the multi-channel is present when playing back on my laptop, but when I open up the file I created with VLC player it does play the music, with the following issues; There do not seem to be any track markings. It seems to be one continuous file of the entire album. I'm assuming this is because there was no cue file present? Is there a way to resolve this so the initial 12 individual tracks don't come out as one long recording? Also, I'm less concerned about this, but the video image I selected does not show up during playback on VLC. It also does not seem to be retaining the song title info that is present when I scroll through the individual FLAC files in Audiomuxer.

IIRC - VLC doesn't handle the generated files very well...

I'll just check on my other laptop that has VLC... yep VLC doesn't handle it properly...

It should be fine on your Oppo... I have a Oppo 83SE, they're fine on mine.

Last edited:
IIRC - VLC doesn't handle the generated files very well...

I'll just check on my other laptop that has VLC... yep VLC doesn't handle it properly...

It should be fine on your Oppo... I have a Oppo 83SE, I they're fine on mine.

Great! I will burn it to dvd and give it a try when I get back home after the first of the year. Thanks!

Back