DTS-CD Help with Creative DTS-610

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarTrek1701

I am looking for some assistance with a non-computer set-up in creating DTS-CDs out of my Quad discs and tapes. Another member of this site gave me some great direction and advise, but I have come to a stumbling-block.

For the record, I have tried the computer approach with great assistance. Since virtually all of my Quad is classical, the process, particularly where the Scripts are concerned is incredibly time consuming. When I read about the DTS-610 process, it sounded near perfect.

Basically, the DTS-610 is suppose to take analog audio and convert it to a DTS signal that is recorded on an audio CD which is then decoded by a sound system designed to do such. The member sent me a CD to demonstrate the results of such a set-up. It sounded great and decoded well.

Now, I know my connections are good and everything works as it should, except the 610. What I end up with is static (white noise) on the disc. Why, I have no idea. I hope the 610 is not defective since Creative no longer makes the unit.

So, I am looking for other input; maybe someone else who has a similar set-up.

Thanks,

Glen

I have one of these units. I don't know if I'll be able to help much, and you've maybe already looked at some of this stuff, but I'll throw some things out there just in case...

1. If you haven't done so already, maybe try running the DTS-610 directly into the amp/receiver (leaving out the recorder completely) just to be sure it's working properly. Make sure the DTS-610 is set to the "encode" mode, rather than that other operating mode (whatever it's called) where the '610 basically just converts optical to coax, too. If it sounds good, then the issue is likely from elsewhere.

2. Is your amp/receiver set to DTS mode when trying to play the CDs you've recorded?

3. On your CD Recorder, if it has adjustable recording levels, are you leaving these as the default? (I haven't messed with it on mine, but I think I read where this can cause the recording of DTS to fail.)

I am looking for some assistance with a non-computer set-up in creating DTS-CDs out of my Quad discs and tapes. Another member of this site gave me some great direction and advise, but I have come to a stumbling-block.

For the record, I have tried the computer approach with great assistance. Since virtually all of my Quad is classical, the process, particularly where the Scripts are concerned is incredibly time consuming. When I read about the DTS-610 process, it sounded near perfect.

Basically, the DTS-610 is suppose to take analog audio and convert it to a DTS signal that is recorded on an audio CD which is then decoded by a sound system designed to do such. The member sent me a CD to demonstrate the results of such a set-up. It sounded great and decoded well.

Now, I know my connections are good and everything works as it should, except the 610. What I end up with is static (white noise) on the disc. Why, I have no idea. I hope the 610 is not defective since Creative no longer makes the unit.

So, I am looking for other input; maybe someone else who has a similar set-up.

Thanks,

Glen
It sounds like you have a CD recorder that does not record 44 bits
I have pioneer that did the same but when i brought a Tascam unit
it worked well
ron

It sounds like you have a CD recorder that does not record 44 bits.

44 bits? Are you referring to the 44.1 kHz sampling rate? The Denon recorder I use has an automatic converter that converts external sources sampling rate (32 and 48) to 44.1. Now, if you are referring to something else, I have not a clue.

2. Is your amp/receiver set to DTS mode when trying to play the CDs you've recorded?

My home theater system automatically detects the signal and adjusts for it.

[/QUOTE]3. On your CD Recorder, if it has adjustable recording levels, are you leaving these as the default? (I haven't messed with it on mine, but I think I read where this can cause the recording of DTS to fail.)[/QUOTE]

Yes, this was suggested. Mine is still set to 0.00 dB.

I'll get back to you about No. 1.

Thank you.

Glen

In a previous response you mentioned that you had to buy a Tascam unit to get the DTS signal onto the CD. What unit did you buy? I was thinking of the CD-RW900SL, but before I put down anymore money, I need to be sure I am buying the right recorder. Thanks.

In a previous response you mentioned that you had to buy a Tascam unit to get the DTS signal onto the CD. What unit did you buy? I was thinking of the CD-RW900SL, but before I put down anymore money, I need to be sure I am buying the right recorder. Thanks.

The Tascam unit
Was CD-RW 2000 the model is about 4 or 5 years old
I brought it from a friend also the model number may be different
in the US.
the model you are looking at is a newer model and I don't
know enough about it but i would be surprised if it did not work
Ron

Hi,

I use a UK Pioneer PDR-509 with my unit and it records just fine. You do need to be careful about the recording levels though.

Brian

I'm thinking the problem may be with the sampling rate converter. Most units that I have looked into have an automatic converter. I am thinking that I need a CD recorder that allows one to set the sampling rate manually.

Any thoughts. If I am right, can anybody suggest a recorder where the converter can be set manually?

Thanks.

Hi,

I use a UK Pioneer PDR-509 with my unit and it records just fine. You do need to be careful about the recording levels though.

Brian

I would like to make back up copies of my DVD Audio and SACD discs using a Pioneer PDR-509/DTS-610. I would appreciate information on the proper cable hook-up and recording technic from a 5.1 universal player. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Reagan

Because I am having problems acquiring the right CD recorder, I am reconsidering using such for my DTS recordings. I have never been able to find a PDR-509; U.S. or U.K. So, I am considering going the software route. But, that is not what you want to know. So,...

First, your universal player must have six RCA analog outs for this to work. If the player uses HDMI or some digital output for audio (optical or coax), you will not be able to. The DTS-610 is meant to convert analog to digital. There are digital inputs, but I have never heard of anybody using them. Of course this process was created to preserve Quad recordings which are analog. I suppose it could be possible, since you are recording DVD-A and SACD, that the analog process could be skipped. Here's both as I understand them.

ANALOG
So, with 6 wires, you will need 3 "Y" cables (2 RCA female L/R connectors going to a stereo mini-jack). Your front L/R RCA males into one of the "Y" cables. The stereo mini-jack goes into the analog "Line-in front" connection. You do the same for the rear. Your center/subwoofer goes into the third "Y" cable and into its own Line-in jack. Then, it is up to you whether you use optical or coax for your digital output. You go digital out from the 610 to the digital in of your CD recorder. Be sure your level is set to 0.0 dB. Then, start recording. You may find it to be necessary to give it about two seconds of blank space at the beginning of each track. I have heard this from a number of sources but do not kow exactly the reason for such.

DIGITAL
The process is actually pretty simple, if it works. Go from the Digital Out of your player (optical or coax) into the Digital In of the 610. Then, Digital Out from the 610 to the recorder. Actually, going the digital route should solve any problems regarding the setting of levels.

That is pretty much it, as I understand the process. There may be others with more experience. So, I would look through some of the other "threads" for more input.

Good luck.

Glen

Because I am having problems acquiring the right CD recorder, I am reconsidering using such for my DTS recordings. I have never been able to find a PDR-509; U.S. or U.K. So, I am considering going the software route. But, that is not what you want to know. So,...

First, your universal player must have six RCA analog outs for this to work. If the player uses HDMI or some digital output for audio (optical or coax), you will not be able to. The DTS-610 is meant to convert analog to digital. There are digital inputs, but I have never heard of anybody using them. Of course this process was created to preserve Quad recordings which are analog. I suppose it could be possible, since you are recording DVD-A and SACD, that the analog process could be skipped. Here's both as I understand them.

ANALOG
So, with 6 wires, you will need 3 "Y" cables (2 RCA female L/R connectors going to a stereo mini-jack). Your front L/R RCA males into one of the "Y" cables. The stereo mini-jack goes into the analog "Line-in front" connection. You do the same for the rear. Your center/subwoofer goes into the third "Y" cable and into its own Line-in jack. Then, it is up to you whether you use optical or coax for your digital output. You go digital out from the 610 to the digital in of your CD recorder. Be sure your level is set to 0.0 dB. Then, start recording. You may find it to be necessary to give it about two seconds of blank space at the beginning of each track. I have heard this from a number of sources but do not kow exactly the reason for such.

DIGITAL
The process is actually pretty simple, if it works. Go from the Digital Out of your player (optical or coax) into the Digital In of the 610. Then, Digital Out from the 610 to the recorder. Actually, going the digital route should solve any problems regarding the setting of levels.

That is pretty much it, as I understand the process. There may be others with more experience. So, I would look through some of the other "threads" for more input.

Good luck.

Glen

Thank you for the information.

I see this all the time when an amateur records a CD. That static is what happens when the analog signal clips the A/D converters.

Unfortunately, there is one deficiency in the way CDs are made: headroom. The record companies compress the heck out of the recordings to get louder airplay. So if you want to achieve the levels that record companies get on CDs, you must compress or limit the audio level. You have these choices:

1. Get a good linkable compressor (so all channels track together) and compress.

2. Use mastering software.

3. Record at lower levels, and accept the fact that it plays at lower volume.

I see this all the time when an amateur records a CD. That static is what happens when the analog signal clips the A/D converters.

Unfortunately, there is one deficiency in the way CDs are made: headroom. The record companies compress the heck out of the recordings to get louder airplay. So if you want to achieve the levels that record companies get on CDs, you must compress or limit the audio level. You have these choices:

1. Get a good linkable compressor (so all channels track together) and compress.

2. Use mastering software.

3. Record at lower levels, and accept the fact that it plays at lower volume.

There is no doubt that I am a amateur. That being said, I just finished my first backup of a SACD using the DTS-610 and the results were excellent. I checked the dts CD volume compared to the SACD with a digital SPM and it was less than 1/8 of a db lower. Works great for me :>)

Back