Help with DVD creating software for Multi-Chanel FLAC to DVD-V 96/24 kHz

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's incredible that Windows can create a DVD-A. It didn't ask for whether you wanted DVD-V or DVD-A? The result must be a DVD-A, since the DVD-V format has no MLP (lossless) audio option.

Also, I assume this is Windows 10 you're using. I need to hook up a USB DVD burner to one of my Windows 10 machines and check this out!
Windows is NOT going to create a DVD-Audio disc.
In fact it's not really creating anything.

I'm using windows 7. The resulting disc is not a DVDA . There is no MLP compression. Haven't had any luck reading the disc to see where the data is stored (video vs audio layer).

Having a "spec" DVD vs. having a disc that will play in some players is two different things. But I have nothing against doing whatever works for you.
For years we were shackled with expensive encoders, (well still are for some formats) so any workaround is a good thing.

I'm using windows 7. The resulting disc is not a DVDA . There is no MLP compression. Haven't had any luck reading the disc to see where the data is stored (video vs audio layer).
Does it create any folders or just read as a bunch of gobbledegook when you mount the disc? Windows 10 explorer will mount a disc, I don't think 7 will?

Oh, darn. I guess it's got to be a DVD-V with a lossy AC3/DTS track. Maybe your "MLP" statement was overly optimistic?

I think boondocks is proposing that you simply burned FLAC files to a data DVD, and some hardware players will be able to play that.

Oh, darn. I guess it's got to be a DVD-V with a lossy AC3/DTS track. Maybe your "MLP" statement was overly optimistic?

I think boondocks is proposing that you simply burned FLAC files to a data DVD, and some hardware players will be able to play that.
I'm getting ready to try the same thing and see if any of my 3 Oppo's will play it from a DVD-RW

Yep, I set it up like George said and burned with ImgBurn.
My Oppo 103 sees it as a data disc, and I had to go to the Music icon to play it, just like with a USB with files copied to it. So there's no real advantage to burn a disc over using a usb stick but personal preference.. I'm a disc guy myself so I get that.
Oh BTW these were 88.2/24 bit files extracted from a SACD.

That was proposed in my original post #3. Your guess that its a DVDv with a lossy AC3/DTS track can't be the case. There is no encoding of those types. There is no MLP compression.

Yep, I set it up like George said and burned with ImgBurn.
My Oppo 103 sees it as a data disc, and I had to go to the Music icon to play it, just like with a USB with files copied to it. So there's no real advantage to burn a disc over using a usb stick but personal preference.. I'm a disc guy myself so I get that.
Oh BTW these were 88.2/24 bit files extracted from a SACD.

Thanks for testing it. I wonder if there is a DVD player that cannot read data discs. Maybe car dvd players can't see them. Don't know. Maybe Kevin or Jon will test this in their auto setups and let us know.

Here's my take, and this is not the same experiment as I did not have any 5.1 files on hand. I used just 2 channel audio files which are 24/96. It does not create a DVD-A or DVD-V disc. It creates data files written on a DVD disc. And that is fine if the device you use will support reading these files. I made a disc this morning using the technique described above and looked at the disc using Windows Explorer. Its simply a disc containing the data files. This would not play on my Lexicon Universal player, but my Pioneer player allows me to select the files and play them.

To be DVD-A or DVD-V compliant, they need to be organized in a specific format. DVD-V, a folder called VIDEO_TS is used to store BUP, IFO and VOB files. The VOB files are video objects which contain muxed video and audio files. The audio must be
16-24 bit 48k or 96K. Yes it also supports compressed audio formats too. DVD-A uses AUDIO_TS folder and supports 44.1/48/88.2/96/176/192 files.....

I have used AudioMuxer recently. My main burning software has been HD-AUDIO SOLO but I can't do multichannel since I lost the plugins to do so. I still make DVD-A 2 channel however.

My OPPO 205 plays almost anything; but I’ve got an older Denon DVD-3910 player hooked up with my Quad system that doesn’t have USB, and doesn’t handle flac files. It was a real nice DVD-A player for its day, but limited now for file types. It will play data discs IIRC, but of course, again only the file types it supports. I have made DVD discs via Audiomuxer also, but stereo only (mainly to play stuff through the SMv2.) That’s one of the main reasons I’d like an OPPO 103 to replace the Denon.
Wondering if any of the car players can handle Blu-ray (BD-R) that might get to a higher audio resolution :unsure:

Forgot you can just drag files into imgburn, it will create an iso to burn to disc but I don't know if the Oppo can see it. Since I can't erase my DVD-RW discs for some reason I won't test this one.

Heavens I just found out today my blu ray burner will no longer format an RW disc. Called LG, they gave me another number to call, which of course had a recording only. I gave up and ordered the newer version off Ebay with some jingle I had leftover in my PP account. I've burned a lot of discs with this drive so I ain't gonna fuss too much about it.

I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction on making backup copies of all my 5.1 stuff: SACD/DVD-A/Dualdisc. I’m sure there’s a thread here for someone who isn’t a computer wizard. If there was a business offering this I’d gladly play, but most A/V conversion shops in Phoenix know nothing about 5.1 formats. In a perfect world, I could make a backup disc, of every format I have, in DTS or DVD-A (I can play DVD-A/DTS in the Acura). Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction on making backup copies of all my 5.1 stuff: SACD/DVD-A/Dualdisc. I’m sure there’s a thread here for someone who isn’t a computer wizard. If there was a business offering this I’d gladly play, but most A/V conversion shops in Phoenix know nothing about 5.1 formats. In a perfect world, I could make a backup disc, of every format I have, in DTS or DVD-A (I can play DVD-A/DTS in the Acura). Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Well I do make backup discs for mine, but it is somewhat costly and time consuming. I do the art and the "whole nine yards". I also have software backups such as an .iso file for several of the formats.
Generally it seems most folks rip theirs and store as individual files in the FLAC format. FLAC is a lossless codec and it's free.
There is a thread on ripping SACD but it requires certain capable hardware players.
As far as ripping to FLAC, tagging the files, etc, I'll leave all that to the folks who do it all the time.
If you have any specific questions about making disc copies I'll try to help.

Back