Help with multichannel streaming using Roon Nucleus+

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AVphile

I would be most appreciative if members of this forum might provide me with suggestions as to how I could hear multichannel audio through my AV system. I have a Roon Nucleus+ (as the streamer), a Theta Casablanca V (as the DAC/multichannel processor), and mono amplifiers to drive my 5.1 speaker system. I typically use Tidal as my source.

Also, the Theta Casablanca V "recognizes" the type of data stream it is currently decoding (Dolby Atmos, DTS-Master Audio, etc.) when I am watching a movie. Are music streams also of such varied type? Is one type prevalent?

Thanks for the help!

Jonathan

I’m not familiar with Roon, but post media players will send multichannel audio streams to your audio system for decoding over HDMI which sounds like what you are doing now for movies or via a blu-ray player. You can rip/convert discs to files for playback from Roon, see the many posts here on QQ for more info.

Multichannel releases vary just like movies (DTS, Dolby etc) but have the added systems of SACD and DVD Audio with their added codecs (DSD and MLP respectively) but I’d expect your system would handle them although SACD and DVD Audio discs require special players. Very few DVDAs are released these days but blu-ray audios are still being added. Some releases are available as downloadable files.

You will probably need a new media player/device to stream Tidal Dolby Atmos releases, or an Apple TV 4K to stream Apple Atmos releases.

Maybe put some multichannel files on your Roon core, and see what happens. I use Roon, and 5.1 or 5.0 flac files are an easy start. If you like classical, downloads from eclassical are a fine option.

Back