Help with Pioneer QX-8000

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jshort74

Help,
My new Pioneer QX-8000 is not working well.
I have been having trouble getting my record player to play well through this receiver. The turntable is an '80s JVC. I can hook the turntable up to any of the inputs (phono, aux., tape etc.) and I have to turn it up all the way to get only a low volume level. However, I can use the balance controls and Isolate each speaker. So I think it is producing every channel. I use this record player on my modern receiver with no such problems. I can also hook up my CD player to this old Pioneer receiver, through any input, and there is no problem with the sound. I am confused, I hope someone can help me.

Your turntable ought to work through the phono input if you have a magnetic cartridge. I'm not familiar with that model of Pioneer, but you may have a switch in back relating to the sensitivity of your phono inputs. Another problem may be that your phono preamp is burned out (most likely from a more powerful unit being hooked up to your phono input - it is only to be used with a magnetic cartridge if there is no attenuation switch). You can get around this problem by buying a phono preamp at a hi-fi store, they usually run about $30.00, unless you want to run with the "golden ears" league. That unit will allow you to plug your phono into any other input (except phono).

The aux, tuner, and tape inputs are line level. the phono inputs are more sensitive, having a preamp in the circuit. If the phono inputs work well with a CD player, without distortion and at the same level as the aux inputs, it might be that the previous owner did what I did on my amps, and that was to strap out the phono preamps. That way, I could connect a CD-4 demodulator, which also serves as a preamp. Normally the demod is hooked to the aux inputs. If the unit has a built in CD-4 demodulator, (I'm not familiar with that model) it was probably bypassed also, as the preamp is part of it. If this is the case, the cure is to restore the original connections or if you aren't technical minded, just use a CD-4 demodulator or a preamp connected to the aux inputs.

The Quadfather

This unit does not have a built in CD-4 Demodulator. So, I should be able to purchase a CD-4 Demodulator and It will act as a phone pre-amp? Will any CD-4 Demodulator have a phono pre-amp? Thank you for your help everyone. I am a new Quad fanatic and I am trying to get my system together.

Yes, this is true. All CD-4 demodulators also contain a preamp for a magnetic cartridge. It was done this way, so that there would be assurance of getting a signal to the demodulator that was unmolested by cheap preamps, or poor matching of a preamp to the cartridge. You can hook your turntable to a demodulator, and the demodulator to the aux inputs. There are usually bypass jacks that allow you to use the original stereo phono jacks if you get them working. I recommend the JVC 4DD5 for a demodulator, and the Audio Technica Trackmaster 8 or the AT331LP for a cartridge. Make sure the turntable is quad compatible and has no preamp of it's own. See the CD-4 section on this website for more information. There are other good demods as well, notably Marantz, Panasonic, and Technics and most of the high end Japanese brands availlable at the time.

The Quadfather

I have to have a special cartridge to play CD-4 records, right? Are the Audio Technica Trackmaster 8 and the AT331LP both CD-4 cartridges.

Back