Help with some Oppo 103 specs, please

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you’re playing via USB there’s no advantage with SSD. Better to spend on a larger capacity USB hard drive.

I agree. A 4TB hard drive plugged into the USB port is the way to go. Less than $100.

I'm pretty sure salsdali missed the HD reference in your post #12.

I still like using a physical disc....I even make backups with discs often times AND storage on HDD in all cases.
Don't really care to take the time to rip 100's of discs down to files. I rip to folders or ISO for digital backup though, and that's been ongoing for a while.
That's my preference, and I used to keep individual tracks on my HTPC but don't anymore.

But back to the physical players, My BDP-80 still works fairly well but the transport mechanism has always been very slow compared to newer models. I figured I should jump on whatever newer model I could afford, as used Oppo's just keep going up, up, up in price.

Thanks again to every one of you for your discussion and input! I always learn something here.

Any external drive will do so it's a question of price, capacity and noise. I have an external 2TB connected to mine, not SSD. It's quiet enough. I do also play some files directly off of my computer over the network, although the interface leaves a lot to be desired.

Noise has never bothered me. I mean, how loud can it be? If you're playing music...which is the point....you shouldn't be hearing any drives spinning.....should you? Anyway....I have a 2 bay NAS with all my music and it's all routed through the network. I do have a few external drives laying around that sort of act like backups I guess.

Hard disks can be insulated a bit for sound by wrapping in a cloth or setting on top of foam. I do get why some people find them loud though. I personally get pain listening to running water while trying to listen to TV or music. It is about being sensitive to particular frequencies. Didn't hard disk manufacturers used to publish noise specs? My older disk is definitely louder than the newer ones.

I hear you. My DV-980H is still in service--although I've relegated it to a secondary system in my office. For the most part, though, I've ripped my SACD-Rs and DVD-Rs (or else I've, ahem, "found" ripped versions of them), and I play them as ISOs, DSFs, or FLACs using foobar2000 or (as needed) VLC Media Player.

My 1st oppo the same and still in use. That little sucker had the best PQ I ever saw for a dvd machine.

I have several WD external drives up to 4TB and the noise is not a factor in the least.
I have 2 SSDs in my laptop but they're exponentially more expensive per TB than a HD.
Any extra speed is superfluous. USB 2.0 is plenty fast to search and retrieve music files.

Happy to say I've been in touch with the seller again and he guaranteed the 103 would ship today. I had only enquired whether it had any hardware or firmware mods (mostly out of curiousity) and he said only the regular firmware updates. I also have his email and phone number and guarantee the 103 is in near-pristine condition.

Now I'm wondering how to once again control 2 Oppo's set up at the same time. lol. I used to have my 970HD set up alongside my BDP-80 until I realized I didn't need both. Unfortunately while the 970HD was sitting in it's little box it somehow quit working. Guess I'll find out if both the 103 & 80 are using the same RF freq. or not, soon enough. With the 970 & BDP-80, using either remote affected both units and I had to devise a block over one or other's RF port.

I still have a Samsung HD841 but it's DVI + analog and not HDMI....still works and even though my main receivers don't have analog inputs, I do have an old Sherwood receiver with analog in I use at my pc.

Hard disks can be insulated a bit for sound by wrapping in a cloth or setting on top of foam. I do get why some people find them loud though. I personally get pain listening to running water while trying to listen to TV or music. It is about being sensitive to particular frequencies. Didn't hard disk manufacturers used to publish noise specs? My older disk is definitely louder than the newer ones.

Are you speaking of powered hard disks...ones that get plugged in? I am using 1TB and 2TB Seagate drives that are powered via the Oppo USB ports and they are essentially silent. I wonder how long they will last compared to the plugged-in types, however.

Now I'm wondering how to once again control 2 Oppo's set up at the same time. lol. ............................................... With the 970 & BDP-80, using either remote affected both units and I had to devise a block over one or other's RF port.
Read the manual. You can easily switch one of the Oppos and its remote to an alternate code.

I
Are you speaking of powered hard disks...ones that get plugged in? I am using 1TB and 2TB Seagate drives that are powered via the Oppo USB ports and they are essentially silent. I wonder how long they will last compared to the plugged-in types, however.

I have both. The USB powered is quieter, but neither ttpe bothers me much.

The 103 is in and plays everything I have except for my burned SACD's. No problem with my home - burned BD's, DVDA's, DTS CD's, DVDV's etc.
Listening to Brothers In Arms 20th Anniversary disc right now.

The 103 will play 4K BD's, but not "natively"--it upscales, and the upscaling is quite well regarded. (I'd give you a firsthand opinion, only I don't have a 4K television.)

...Trying to confirm this...Just bought a few 4K BD movies. My Oppo 103 shows a disc error. Won't play the disc. Unless it's a cable issue??

...Trying to confirm this...Just bought a few 4K BD movies. My Oppo 103 shows a disc error. Won't play the disc. Unless it's a cable issue??
Well...you probably shouldn't take my word as gospel, since I'm neither a Blu-Ray nor a 4K guy.

But here's what the Oppo BDP-103 "Output" specs say:
"HDMI Video: 480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i/1080p/1080p24/4Kx2K, 3D frame-packing 720p/1080p24."​
I'm not sure what "4K x 2K" means; maybe that makes more sense to you? I think a 103 won't play "Ultra-HD" Blu-Rays. And yet if you set the output resolution to 4K, I think it will "upscale" a Blu-Ray with a resolution of 1080 or lower to 4K. Does that even make sense?

Reactions: PK
Back