DVD/DTS Poll Henley, Don - THE END OF INNOCENCE [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Don Henley - THE END OF INNOCENCE

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Don Henley.jpg

Is it just me, or does he look like George McFly (Marty's Dad) from "Back to the Future" in this picture to you too?

Indeed Jon, I have also thought he looks like Crispin Glover there.
Secondly, Mike Campbell has a really wonderful instagram feed - and talked about Don Henley two weeks ago.
He discusses Boys of Summer from the previous album, but The Heart of the Matter on this one is solid. :)
Also Don Henley is featured in several new docs: Linda Ronstadt - The Sound of My Voice, Echo in the Canyon, and Laurel Canyon. All well-done, all talking about the same era in Los Angeles from the Byrds to the mid '70s.
Also this gets a 10 just because singing drummers should be rewarded ;)

7. Some genuinely great songs, decent use of the surround channels, but the production aged like milk. The title track is basically Henley's voice and a synthetic-sounding piano over a 2000s ringtone rap snap beat. And the vocals seem to have had the mids scooped out rather aggressively. Every beat is dead on, even when songs desperately need to breath for the emotional weight of the song to come through. Compare this version of "New York Minute" to the Hell Freezes Over version, it's not even a contest between living, breathing musicians playing the song, and whatever the 1988 equivalent of Pro Tools was (an Atari ST, I guess? White Town used that to much better effect). Tim Schmidt's fretless bass, the actual Eagles singing the chorus, a live trumpet... and Henley's vocals are genuinely more intimate and heartfelt as well.

It's just one of those albums where good material could have been so much more, but trend-chasing over-production holds it back.

Back