DVD/DTS Poll Henley, Don - THE END OF INNOCENCE [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Don Henley - THE END OF INNOCENCE

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on the DTS CD disc. This disc was sold both in the original jewel box and the DVD-A sized "super" jewel box. However, all versions are DTS CDs (DTS MUSIC DISCS). There was no DVD-A release of this title.

The title track is encoded in 6.1! The remaining tracks are 5.1.

Don Henley.jpg

don 2.jpg

Love the album... love the mix. It loses a point for being only DTS but it is a great disc.

I like it, my copy is in the SJB, bought it used in Italy! Likewise one less point for no hirez...

An '8' for me...great sound and mix but can't say the album (or Henley solo) ever impressed me much beyond "The Boys of Summer."

ED :)

I say 9 points.

I agree with a couple of other reviewers here. It's an excellent album and mix, and I'm only shaving off a point because of the DTS (which actually sounds quite good).

This is a very strange mix. You can tell it's "early 5.1" (or 6.1 in the case of the title track). I ripped this disc to PC and played it back channel by channel in Sound Forge and it's clearly NOT an Elliot Scheiner mix, as stuff is all over the place in no coherent fashion. It's more of a "wall of sound" than a surround mix when pulled apart.

Credits in the booklet say the "5.1 Digital Editing" was done by Ric Wilson at Digisonics. As a listener, you can never tell how much leeway a remix engineer has with a particular title, so there's no bashing of a remix engineer here, I just would have preferred to hear a more demo quality mix, especially from an early DTS title.

So, I will give this a 7. There are 4 "hits" on the disc, and they sound very good per se, but I can't help but wondering what this album would sound like on an ES mixed DVD-Audio, SACD or BluRay.

I'd give this a 7 as well, same reasons as Jon. Good album with a good mix for sure, and very good sound quality to my ears. Could have been better, but that still means it's a very enjoyable disc!

Real good music and real nice mix. I really like this one.A 9.

With 7 songs that charted this is a good disc to listen to, a typical DTS release with some decent sonics and mix. Voted 8 mainly for number of quality written tracks.

This is not only my favorite album by a solo Eagle, I dare say it ranks with the best of the group's output (something Frey could never say). The 5.1 mix, while I won't go so far as to call it inspired, is very good. The opening Bruce Hornsby piano on the title track grabs you, and the ear candy just keeps coming. "New York Minute" is a track that was made for surround, with the jazzy opening coming from the front and the more modern sounds coming from the rear. The two power ballads which were the biggest hits from the album, "Last Worthless Evening" and "Heart of the Matter" both sound bigger in surround. The mixes take a good thing and make it even better.

Don't worry that it's "only" dts. The fidelity here is wonderful and this album sounds a lot less dated than many of it's contemporaries. Highly recommended.

This is a very strange mix. You can tell it's "early 5.1" (or 6.1 in the case of the title track). I ripped this disc to PC and played it back channel by channel in Sound Forge and it's clearly NOT an Elliot Scheiner mix, as stuff is all over the place in no coherent fashion. It's more of a "wall of sound" than a surround mix when pulled apart.

Credits in the booklet say the "5.1 Digital Editing" was done by Ric Wilson at Digisonics. As a listener, you can never tell how much leeway a remix engineer has with a particular title, so there's no bashing of a remix engineer here, I just would have preferred to hear a more demo quality mix, especially from an early DTS title.

So, I will give this a 7. There are 4 "hits" on the disc, and they sound very good per se, but I can't help but wondering what this album would sound like on an ES mixed DVD-Audio, SACD or BluRay.

Jon, I gave it a 7 too because the sound quality is inconsistent from track to track and I've heard MUCH better from DTS Entertainment [like Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth which is consistently brilliant]. A wonderful album, to be sure, but as you assert....it's NO Steve Wilson nor Elliot Scheiner remix!

Last edited:
I voted 9 on this good disc of good songs.
Has anybody had success ripping this(Don Henley, End Of Innocence) DTS surround disc? I have tried twice via DVD audio extractor and Foobar 2000, the entire disc rips but the first, title track just plays white noise, the other tracks are good.

Has anybody had success ripping this(Don Henley, End Of Innocence) DTS surround disc? I have tried twice via DVD audio extractor and Foobar 2000, the entire disc rips but the first, title track just plays white noise, the other tracks are good.
First track is 6.1, for some reason. IHtH.

Oh, man... I have such a terrible memory. I KNOW this has been discussed on this forum and there is a solution, but I can neither remember what the solution was or find the thread that contained it. I DO remember trying many different methods of ripping, but for the life of me I can’t remember which worked.

Back