Quantcast

Herbie Hancock Headhunters - the next Sony Japan 7" quad SACD (September 9th)

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

steelydave

Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Agreed - if you haven't heard it, I highly reccomend the live version from the 1977 V.S.O.P. Live album, they really draw out the end section (which is quite short on the studio version) an Herbie takes an amazing piano solo over it.

Colin London

Can Manchild -1975 become a SACD multi channel

Secrets 1976 would be Bliss as SACD multi Channel.

Both feature the late and great Wah Wah Watson aged 26. Also some Top Drummers James Gadson & Mike Clarke (track 1 Manchild.) On "Doin' It" 1976 Wah Wah Watson is on Bass Guitar.

salsdali

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter

The56Kid

Just received the Japanese 7” Head Hunters SACD today from ImportCDs. Didn’t have any of the prior quad versions of this release and never heard them either. That said, this SACD sounds great - albeit I’m only 2/3 thru Chameleon. Full, rich sound with a hefty bottom end to boot. Loving it so far!

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
That said, this SACD sounds great - albeit I’m only 2/3 thru Chameleon.
My only gripe with the quad mix is that Herbie's extended synth solo from around 4:00-7:30 in "Chameleon" feels a bit more recessed and reverb-y than it does in the original stereo. It kinda sneaks in over your left shoulder when it really should hit you right in the face. Otherwise, it's killer.

humprof

The bigger tragedy (for me, at least) is that Columbia strangely never released a quad mix of 1975's Man-Child, which came in between Thrust and Secrets. Not only is it some of his best fusion material, it's also really sonically dense, with even more keyboard layering than his previous albums, and it also has a horn section on some tracks. The album also has former Motown session man Wah Wah Watson (he of Papa Was a Rolling Stone fame) all over it, both as a writer and also playing his guitar through a variety of effects incluing (obviously) wah wah, echoplex, and talk box. Oh and Stevie Wonder drops by to blow a crazy harmonica solo on one of the tracks.

Honestly can't figure out why this never got the quad treatment - if Herbie was going to dip into his back catalog for an Atmos remix, this is the one I'd start with.
Sadly, where they started instead was with Speak Like a Child.

An Atmos mix appeared on Tidal last month. An excellent post-bop album, obviously, but Steve Genewick implied that this and a bunch of other classic Blue Note albums got the same treatment that he and Dave Rideau gave to Kind of Blue and Sketches of Spain. The end result sounds lovely, but it doesn't make for Atmos fireworks.

Last edited:

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Has anybody noticed that the 5.1 version is considerably cheaper than the Quad 4.0? (Y2750 v. Y3850)
But the question arises: Which ONE would YOU rather HAVE?

IMO, technology has improved since the former [QUAD DSD remastered from the original analogue QUAD 15 ips mastertapes] and that special SONY 7" packaging is another BIG PLUS. The 5.1 was 'reconfigured' from the QUAD masters to accomodate a .1 LFE channel and faux center.

albertop

QQ Supporter
If I want to get a release of this title that sounds great both in stereo and quad, is that the AP SACD the one to get?
I read somewhere that the surround mix on that one is a 5.1 based on the quad, but it's not a pure quad. Or should I just get the Jap 7"? It seems the stereo layer isn't great, similarly to Santana's S/T.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
If I want to get a release of this title that sounds great both in stereo and quad, is that the AP SACD the one to get?
I read somewhere that the surround mix on that one is a 5.1 based on the quad, but it's not a pure quad. Or should I just get the Jap 7"? It seems the stereo layer isn't great, similarly to Santana's S/T.
The AP SACD is roughly $30 list, sounds great but at this juncture for only a few dollars more [if you purchase it domestically avoiding that $20 DHL s/h charge], I'd go for the Sony Japan reissue.

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I read somewhere that the surround mix on that one is a 5.1 based on the quad, but it's not a pure quad.
The AP edition is authored in 5.0 with an empty center, just like the new Sony Japan disc. The 1999 Sony SACD had derived center & LFE channels.

Chameleon AP .jpg

What's never been clear to me is whether or not the AP edition is actually a fresh transfer/mastering of the quad mix. They could just have easily re-used the old Sony mastering and removed the faked extra channels.

albertop

QQ Supporter
Thanks guys for the suggestions. So, I could definitely get the new 7" for the surround mix, but the AP still seems the better deal for both stereo and surround (I don't own this album in stereo).

steelydave

Staff member
Since 2002/2003
The AP edition is authored in 5.0 with an empty center, just like the new Sony Japan disc. The 1999 Sony SACD had derived center & LFE channels.

View attachment 56971

What's never been clear to me is whether or not the AP edition is actually a fresh transfer/mastering of the quad mix. They could just have easily re-used the old Sony mastering and removed the faked extra channels.
AFAIK AP doesn't do (or won't pay for) new analog transfers of multichannel material, hence why this disc, and their issue of Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow had the quad mixes, but other ones, like Jeff Beck's Wired, didn't, since it came out before Sony Japan's reissue of the title with the quad mix.

I suspect their version of Headhunters is just the old Sony mastering minus the fake derived channels.