Herbie Hancock Headhunters - the next Sony Japan 7" quad SACD (September 9th)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I want to get a release of this title that sounds great both in stereo and quad, is that the AP SACD the one to get?
I read somewhere that the surround mix on that one is a 5.1 based on the quad, but it's not a pure quad. Or should I just get the Jap 7"? It seems the stereo layer isn't great, similarly to Santana's S/T.

If I want to get a release of this title that sounds great both in stereo and quad, is that the AP SACD the one to get?
I read somewhere that the surround mix on that one is a 5.1 based on the quad, but it's not a pure quad. Or should I just get the Jap 7"? It seems the stereo layer isn't great, similarly to Santana's S/T.

The AP SACD is roughly $30 list, sounds great but at this juncture for only a few dollars more [if you purchase it domestically avoiding that $20 DHL s/h charge], I'd go for the Sony Japan reissue.

https://www.importcds.com/head-hunters-quadraphonic-sacdmulti-channel/4547366448474

I read somewhere that the surround mix on that one is a 5.1 based on the quad, but it's not a pure quad.

The AP edition is authored in 5.0 with an empty center, just like the new Sony Japan disc. The 1999 Sony SACD had derived center & LFE channels.

Chameleon AP .jpg

What's never been clear to me is whether or not the AP edition is actually a fresh transfer/mastering of the quad mix. They could just have easily re-used the old Sony mastering and removed the faked extra channels.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. So, I could definitely get the new 7" for the surround mix, but the AP still seems the better deal for both stereo and surround (I don't own this album in stereo).

The AP edition is authored in 5.0 with an empty center, just like the new Sony Japan disc. The 1999 Sony SACD had derived center & LFE channels.

View attachment 56971

What's never been clear to me is whether or not the AP edition is actually a fresh transfer/mastering of the quad mix. They could just have easily re-used the old Sony mastering and removed the faked extra channels.

AFAIK AP doesn't do (or won't pay for) new analog transfers of multichannel material, hence why this disc, and their issue of Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow had the quad mixes, but other ones, like Jeff Beck's Wired, didn't, since it came out before Sony Japan's reissue of the title with the quad mix.

I suspect their version of Headhunters is just the old Sony mastering minus the fake derived channels.

My only gripe with the quad mix is that Herbie's extended synth solo from around 4:00-7:30 in "Chameleon" feels a bit more recessed and reverb-y than it does in the original stereo. It kinda sneaks in over your left shoulder when it really should hit you right in the face. Otherwise, it's killer.

So, if I'm interpreting your comments correctly, anything that was too reverby/distant for my tastes on the 5.1 SACD (like the synth solo you mentioned) will be the same on this quad? Is that accurate? If so, that's extremely helpful as far as me deciding whether to buy this.

So, if I'm interpreting your comments correctly, anything that was too reverby/distant for my tastes on the 5.1 SACD (like the synth solo you mentioned) will be the same on this quad? Is that accurate? If so, that's extremely helpful as far as me deciding whether to buy this.

Yes, that's unfortunately baked into the quad mix. The SQ LP is the same way.

Back