Herbie Hancock Headhunters - the next Sony Japan 7" quad SACD (September 9th)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think like everyone, I wish it was something "new", but I think there are positives in this - to start with, as you've pointed out, it's a good sign that Sony Japan are continuing with this program.

I think beyond that, we have to remember that not everyone has been collecting surround discs for as long as some of us have - one of my biggest frustrations when trying to 'sell' surround to uninitiated friends is I always have to get into the explanation about how almost everything is out of print when they ask "where do you buy this stuff?"

It's also worth keeping in mind that this series has been a mixture of quad mixes that are new to digital with rehashes of old stuff - for every Miles Davis title (or two) there's a Jeff Beck title (or three) that's been previously released on SACD or DTS CD. If Headhunters leads to even more Herbie Hancock, I'd say that's a good thing - AF's release of Thrust is long out of print and I'd rather whatever money's being spent on digital quad versions of that album goes to a record company rather than predatory eBay profiteers. Beyond that, I've preferred the Sony Japan masterings to their previously released counterparts - their versions of Jeff Beck's orange album and Beck Bogert Appice both have a visceral gutsiness that the previous versions don't come close to matching. I was grateful that AF managed to get us Thrust at all, but like several of the AF quad SACDs, Gus Skinas' "transfer" (which I read as non-remaster) was a bit anemic sounding and I have no doubt a Sony Japan remaster of the same title would be a noticeable improvement.

I'm still totally perplexed why SONY JAPAN has ignored Santana's CORE QUAD catalogue, which, IMO, and I'm sure that of MANY others, has been totally ignored. Since SJ is SO damn secretive, will they EVER at some point release them either individually or as a boxed set [MY HOPE]?

And to reiterate, the reason these Sony Japan QUADS sound so great is DSD QUAD Remastering from the original QUAD Masters....which MoFi has been employing for the last few years resulting in exceptional SACD Stereo remastered discs.

I'm still totally perplexed why SONY JAPAN has ignored Santana's CORE QUAD catalogue, which, IMO, and I'm sure that of MANY others, has been totally ignored. Since SJ is SO damn secretive, will they EVER at some point release them either individually or as a boxed set [MY HOPE]?

And to reiterate, the reason these Sony Japan QUADS sound so great is DSD QUAD Remastering from the original QUAD Masters....which MoFi has been employing for the last few years resulting in exceptional SACD Stereo remastered discs.

Very much agree!! It's a crying shame these are languishing in some vault. I was hoping for Sony to release them to SACD when they introduced the format. Nope. Hoping for a specialty label like Audio Fidelity could obtain licensing. Nope. Hoping for D-V to acquire them. Nope. Now hoping for Sony Japan to do something with them. So far...Nope. All they could do is release Lotus and I'm sorry multichannel or quad live concerts don't quite cut it for me.

Bitch's Brew - phenomenal (I love Miles Davis anyway) I have the SQ LP but this is truly a special recording to me
Live Evil - acquired taste but it works

Headhunters - fold the .1 lfe channel back into the other 4 channels and release it again as "quad" - if not a double-dip, it's certainly not "new"

For those not able or willing to spend the ebay rates for the OOP 5.1 SACD, this fills a niche. But for those of us wanting - lusting - for the 1st 4 Santana's in quad, this is similar to waiting for The Abyss on BD and Winds of Winter from GRRM. I may be dead by that time!

Of all the SQ LPs I bought in the quad era or acquired off Ebay, Santana is some of the best ever done.

And while I'm at it, Sony Japan, why not add Ten Years After's Space In Time and Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water to your quad releases? Both were fantastic SQ LP's and deserve SACD releases.

I'd say there's a good chance the next one could be the 4.0 mix of Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow, another OOP 5.1 SACD from Sony. Recall it was Sony that created then killed its own format. Now trying to resurrect interest in these premium priced quad titles. Happy they're doing it but give us Santana, please!!!!

BTW - Headhunters is a great album. The 5.1 was fantastic so anyone who likes Herbie Hancock, and doesn't have the 5.1, get this!

And while I'm at it, Sony Japan, why not add Ten Years After's Space In Time and Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water to your quad releases? Both were fantastic SQ LP's and deserve SACD releases.

Sony Japan had an SACD of Bridge Over Troubled Water scheduled for release a couple of years back. It got as far as being listed on places like Amazon and CD Japan but it got pulled. Rumor is that Paul Simon had it canceled. 😥

I stand corrected. Thanks. I have the 5.1, didn't realize it came out again on 4.0

In this case, the "5.1" is just the quad mix with synthesized center and sub channels.

A pre-order link for a Sony Japan 7" SACD of Bridge appeared back in September 2017, but for one reason or another it wasn't released. The quad mix of A Space In Time was actually reissued in a Chrysalis LP/DVD set back in 2012, but another version would be welcome since that's long OOP and a mastering error swapped the front and rear channels.

^^ last 2 posts...hence why they're still desired. I am well aware of the TYA box set that's OOP. I've been unsuccessfully trying to find it for years since my LP was purchased used with some used LP noise. I also knew that the F-R channels were reversed & didn't care, if I could find it but thanks anyway.

I wasn't aware that Sony JPN did have a planned release of BOTW that was cancelled.

So the situation for both titles in quad remains the same. Just because they were planned or OOP (and rare as hell), doesn't alter the fact that they were excellent SQ LP titles that deserve to be released along with the 1st 4 Santana albums on SACD.

I appreciate the followup and information but....it doesn't alter the sentiment expressed by the OP that I quoted or by me. Sony JPN is missing opportunities for revenue along with making many multichannel music fans happy by continuing to ignore the quad albums that they own that would make excellent premium releases.

As much as Carlos Santana was friends with Miles Davis and was part of "fusion" it's hard to believe he'd object.

Nice find. Glad to see they're continuing with the program. I'd be gladder still if it were an album that we didn't already have on SACD.
My heart sank and I had to ask why? I want these to be big sellers, untapped markets, fresh buyers, larger runs. I think it would be better for their sales to release fresh exclusive titles not already out in m/c SACD. The older multichannel SACD from Japan is still available new in the $35 - $45 range.

while its one many of us probably have in some form already on MCh SACD whether the old Sony or subsequent AP incarnation, it will be interesting to see if its a one off for this artist or if other Herbie Hancock SACDs in this 7" style package fashion might follow.

there's the slim possibility they might do "Thrust" which would be welcome since some here expressed a feeling the AF SACD could be improved upon..

..and then, who knows what tapes/source they might use if they do "Sextant" (DV didn't have the master)..

...maybe if they're feeling bold they might tackle the Quad of "Secrets" (surmised to be 'fake' Surround, great album anyway)...

...and (wildest dreams time) there's always the unreleased 5.1 of "Future Shock"..!!

ps. thanks for the scoop, steelydave 👍

while its one many of us probably have in some form already on MCh SACD whether the old Sony or subsequent AP incarnation, it will be interesting to see if its a one off for this artist or if other Herbie Hancock SACDs in this 7" style package fashion might follow.

there's the slim possibility they might do "Thrust" which would be welcome since some here expressed a feeling the AF SACD could be improved upon..

..and then, who knows what tapes/source they might use if they do "Sextant" (DV didn't have the master)..

...maybe if they're feeling bold they might tackle the Quad of "Secrets" (surmised to be 'fake' Surround, great album anyway)...

...and (wildest dreams time) there's always the unreleased 5.1 of "Future Shock"..!!

ps. thanks for the scoop, steelydave 👍

FUTURE SHOCK WOULD BE RAD, FB!

See the source image

I will be passing on this. Too expensive to buy just to add to my old Sony 5.1 SACD. That is unless someone can tell me the new quad is much better.

I don’t understand how anyone can dislike the AF Thrust. It is probably the best sounding disc I have on any format. Just stunning in every way.

I don’t understand how anyone can dislike the AF Thrust. It is probably the best sounding disc I have on any format. Just stunning in every way.

It does sound good, no argument there, and I even defended it's merits in the poll thread, but to me there's no doubt it could sound better - A/B it with the stereo mix on the same disc an you'll see what I mean, for example the snare drum has a more "recessed" sound on the quad mix due to the lack of mastering EQ. It doesn't need a lot - probably just a 2dB boost in the 5-7kHz range with a very wide 'Q' and I think it would really bring it to life.

It does sound good, no argument there, and I even defended it's merits in the poll thread, but to me there's no doubt it could sound better - A/B it with the stereo mix on the same disc an you'll see what I mean, for example the snare drum has a more "recessed" sound on the quad mix due to the lack of mastering EQ. It doesn't need a lot - probably just a 2dB boost in the 5-7kHz range with a very wide 'Q' and I think it would really bring it to life.

meh.. it just needs more... cowbell..!!! 🥳😂

Gonna go OT for a sec here....when I think of Herbie, I also tend to think of Stanley Clarke..
I don't know, whenever I think of either , I just think of how I was made aware of both about the same time.
Some of you may know that the saxophonist David Sanborn used to host a laid back radio show...well here it was always played on Sunday mornings, some smooth music for hangover heads......
Now I was already sort of a jazz lover, but Sanborn took me places I would never have been. Like Doug Cameron on the fiddle.......sorry, I'll quit now.

Back