Here it is: the JCQS-440 A.F.V. also known as the Wurlyscope.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't ANYBODY care any more about her little brother Tom Swift? And his Electric Football Machine?

OK. Must watch those Wurly scope patterns again tomorrow.

Well now...a conundrum I had not contemplated.....!

@chucky3042 is a very sly ol" surroundophile and even keener businessman....

The one on the right is in fact the SM!
Ahh, you gave it away before I could vote. The clue there would be that the one on the left has lower output from the rear which you might expect from the SM. The centre is decoded to the front and removed from the rear. I too would have guessed wrong!

The other interpretation is that discrete mixes often have lower level surround channels. The decoded version would have a bit of leakage from the front into the rear, so more rear output than the discrete. I would guess that the one on the right actually sounds better than the discrete one on the left!

Last edited:
Ahh, you gave it away before I could vote. The clue there would be that the one on the left has lower output from the rear which you might expect from the SM. The centre is decoded to the front and removed from the rear. I too would have guessed wrong!

The other interpretation is that discrete mixes often have lower level surround channels. The decoded version would have a bit of leakage from the front into the rear, so more rear output than the discrete. I would guess that the one on the right actually sounds better than the discrete one on the left!
Apologies @par4ken...next round I'll provide more time for votes!

I was actually quite surprised how good the SM sounded compared to the discrete. I look forward to further comparisons as I am enjoying having the Zektors and Wurlys now on line.

I can remain on my lazy bum and rotate between all my processors with a press of a button. I do enjoy fine tuning the vintage gear as necessary, to adjust for changes in their inputs...that has always been part of the fun for me....turning knobs and such to get things dialed in. With the Wurly, you can actually see rather than just hear how the fine tuning is going.

The Composer has that hiss...but I'll soon be chasing that once I get my new 'scope situated. I think it might be as simple as old RCA jacks, because the hiss persists even when using the 4 channel pass through.

The Composer has that hiss...but I'll soon be chasing that once I get my new 'scope situated. I think it might be as simple as old RCA jacks, because the hiss persists even when using the 4 channel pass through.
In that mode the only thing the signal passes through are the jacks and the discrete selector switch.

Back