Here it is: the JCQS-440 A.F.V. also known as the Wurlyscope.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is because it was very difficult to find the right one for the mk-I because it was 12 volts AC.
5 volt DC are common and many may already have one on hand.
Another solution is to use a 5 volt USB adaptor with the proper cable plug.
Such cables are available on Amazon and other electronic stores.

Hi all !

Little note to make sure you'll be ready to operate your new JCQS-440 mk-II / III right away!

You will need a 5 volt regulated (rated for 1 ampere or more) power adapter with a barrel jack type connector plug
to power your mk-II or mk-III as shown in the pictures below.
I do not provide it with these models as these are widely available locally.

I looked through my drawer(s) of PS bricks.. I found some.... but I see this as an opportunity to buy more stuff

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PGGLRYR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Tony, that is definetly the right way to look at it.(y)

He (she) who does with the most power supply bricks and audio amplifiers wins.

I'm so far ahead of the crowd..... I'm like miles beyond the Pearly Gates. Saint Peter opened the doors when I filled the first drawer with bricks and reached 20 amps...

When I die, I want to be buried with my turntable and my stereo in my pyramid. Mummify me, put me on a stone chair and surround me with my stereo (*)... make sure the Maggies are 11 feet away and properly set up. It'd be a horrendous, hellish, affair if the speakers were not toed in!

(*) OK, now I'll have to make it quad, use the Sony EP9ES and the Wurly meter, put the Aleph 5s and the Maggie 12 as rears. That's gonna be a nice mausoleum. :)

He (she) who does with the most power supply bricks and audio amplifiers wins.

I'm so far ahead of the crowd..... I'm like miles beyond the Pearly Gates. Saint Peter opened the doors when I filled the first drawer with bricks and reached 20 amps...

When I die, I want to be buried with my turntable and my stereo in my pyramid. Mummify me, put me on a stone chair and surround me with my stereo (*)... make sure the Maggies are 11 feet away and properly set up. It'd be a horrendous, hellish, affair if the speakers were not toed in!

(*) OK, now I'll have to make it quad, use the Sony EP9ES and the Wurly meter, put the Aleph 5s and the Maggie 12 as rears. That's gonna be a nice mausoleum. :)

I always thought that if was a rich man, I would like to be mummified and have a tomb with hidden speaker wires so I could have the audio of an AM news station pumped into my “new home.” So I could still keep abreast of the world....not that I would or could even hear it of course, but it would be like a sort of immortality. Just a little, little bit 🙂.

Hi Wurly - Looks like you will be making more folk happy with the new version(s). As a purchaser of the first version, I'd appreciate a little advice/help when you have time - no rush. As you can see from the attached, I have some lit LEDs when I shouldn't have any (i.e., no signal - and the red one is intermittant). Since I frequently confuse triodes with triacs 😁, I'm hoping that you can give me some detailed instructions that I (or a more technically minded friend) can follow to fix the problem as returning to you obviously isn't practical.
PXL_20220710_003205346.jpg

PXL_20220710_003136216.jpg

Hi Wurly - Looks like you will be making more folk happy with the new version(s). As a purchaser of the first version, I'd appreciate a little advice/help when you have time - no rush. As you can see from the attached, I have some lit LEDs when I shouldn't have any (i.e., no signal - and the red one is intermittant). Since I frequently confuse triodes with triacs 😁, I'm hoping that you can give me some detailed instructions that I (or a more technically minded friend) can follow to fix the problem as returning to you obviously isn't practical.
Hi, the solution is very simple.
Two yellow LEDs stay lit because one of the green LED started to conduct in reverse.
(The mk-II / III are less prone to this kind of problem because the reverse voltage is no more than 3.5v)
In most cases the defective LEDs will still lit normally, making it difficult to pinpoint.
I have circled the defective LED. I can send you replacements LEDs with your new unit.
For the red one, it can be easily cured with a 10k resistor soldered in parallel to it.
You can see how it's done in your JCQS-440 "AFV" user manual on page 16.

76707-PXL-20220710-003205346.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all !
Here are some pictures of the remaining 13 amplifier modules assy and their respective comparator modules assy.
Lot of work here...

Have a great weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_5438.jpeg
    IMG_5438.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5439.jpeg
    IMG_5439.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5440.jpeg
    IMG_5440.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi all !
Here are some pictures of the remaining 12 amplifier modules assy and their respective comparator modules assy.
Lot of work here...

Have a great weekend!
Doing much better... even stacks... but still, seven white stacks, five white stacks, one blue.... hmmm....

Call me Monk.

Hi all!
Time for a little update. :cool:
I prepared all the wood for the remaining cabinet (still a little sanding to do...)
and also did a job i really dislike :poop: : all the 13 wires and 23 wires ribbon cables.
These connect the input amplifier to the main board and interconnect the mk-II main and screen boards.
I will make assembly tomorrow and maybe some paint.
Since all electronic components are ready,
my goal is to complete all units this week and send them away within the next 8 days.
Still a lot of work but it's the last stretch! :SB

Attachments

• IMG_5486.jpeg
    IMG_5486.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5484.jpeg
    IMG_5484.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5485.jpeg
    IMG_5485.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Wow! Real wood! I can’t recall the last time I saw a cabinet that wasn’t veneered fakewood.

What wrong with veneered fakewood? Plastics are my kind of woods, just like Soylent Green is my kind of people.

Hi all!

Here is a duo of mk-II model 11R

Have a great weekend!

DISCO NIGHT.

Now, I gotta find the disco ball we used on New Year's Eve Y2K

It looks like a cross between Studio 54 and the radios that the Traitors Of Earth used to communicate with Ming Of Mars.

Last edited:
DISCO NIGHT.

Now, I gotta find the disco ball we used on New Year's Eve Y2K

It looks like a cross between Studio 54 and the radios that the Traitors Of Earth used to communicate with Ming Of Mars.
Yeah they really are colorful aren’t they? I think my friends and I could had spent hours staring at them back in the day. This is back when we all made those light organs at school to go along with our other “extra curricular activities.”

I thought that the MK1 was flashy, but when you compare the operation of it with a similar oscilloscope display they do the exact same thing. It just takes time for your eyes to adjust to the LED display as opposed to the old fashioned CRT display.

Hi all !

I was supposed to ship these beauties tomorrow morning but halas i wasn't able to finish.
You will notice some units have some plastic buttons missing...
They need to be trimmed before installation.
Besides, it is better to for me and you that i spend some more time testing them before shipping them.

I'm going on a camping trip at the beach, hopefully sunny too... :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_5559.jpeg
    IMG_5559.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 0
Wurly MK1 meet Wurly MK3

Just a short video Panasonic portable Rs-838s playing front channels of Herb Alpert Q8 being decoded by Involve QS, Differential mode. This MK3 also has red lights for Sub input(not shown in this vid). The amber reminds of the JVC MM-4 memory meter, except more exciting :). Thanks Jean!
20220727_153156.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Back