Here it is: the JCQS-440 A.F.V. also known as the Wurlyscope.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wurly MK1 meet Wurly MK3

Just a short video Panasonic portable Rs-838s playing front channels of Herb Alpert Q8 being decoded by Involve QS, Differential mode. This MK3 also has red lights for Sub input(not shown in this vid). The amber reminds of the JVC MM-4 memory meter, except more exciting :). Thanks Jean!
View attachment 81647View attachment 81646

Very cool thanks for the direct comparison between the original & MK III. The latter definitely shows better representation of the center signals. I usually use my MK I in differential mode that livens up the display.

And I see what you mean about the JVC unit :)

Very cool thanks for the direct comparison between the original & MK III. The latter definitely shows better representation of the center signals. I usually use my MK I in differential mode that livens up the display.

And I see what you mean about the JVC unit :)
Yes, it does seem more detailed in general. I will make another video of new modes and Sub LEDs when I get main system all re-connected.

Yes, it does seem more detailed in general. I will make another video of new modes and Sub LEDs when I get main system all re-connected.
I have made the video a little bit longer to show more of the modes, still just the portable 8-track and no sub though. link is updated in my previous post.
Wurly MK1 meet Wurly MK3

Just a short video Panasonic portable Rs-838s playing front channels of Herb Alpert Q8 being decoded by Involve QS, Differential mode. This MK3 also has red lights for Sub input(not shown in this vid). The amber reminds of the JVC MM-4 memory meter, except more exciting . Thanks Jean!
View attachment 81647View attachment 81646

Wurly MK1 meet Wurly MK3

Just a short video Panasonic portable Rs-838s playing front channels of Herb Alpert Q8 being decoded by Involve QS, Differential mode. This MK3 also has red lights for Sub input(not shown in this vid). The amber reminds of the JVC MM-4 memory meter, except more exciting :). Thanks Jean!

Thank you for the video.
I noticed at 1:36 you switched-on differential mode while in inward direction. With these settings, it is harder to make sense of the display.
Also it is not possible to have full-wave and differential modes at the same time because they are two completely different signal processes.

Thank you for the video.
I noticed at 1:36 you switched-on differential mode while in inward direction. With these settings, it is harder to make sense of the display.
Also it is not possible to have full-wave and differential modes at the same time because they are two completely different signal processes.
I like the Differential Inward mode, although it look exciting and mysterious, but while next to the MK1 in Differential mode the traces are "inverted".

Received the Mark II this week, been testing. Here is a video of some Grass Roots in pretty obvious stereo going through Marantz's SQA-2B SQ decoder, in normal and diff modes.

I had to host the videos as they are too big for the site.

http://www.landofjohn.com/misc/nondiff.mp4
http://www.landofjohn.com/misc/diff.mp4

So what did you do... feed a 2 channel into the receiver, put it into 4 channel mode, use the dimension control and hook up the Wurley into the tape outputs? Or just run it as SQ?

Now I will have to hunt for an SQA-2B, I only have the SQA-1

But, I also do have the Akai AS980.. hmm..

Well, I forgot I had it on SQ, actually. I was listening to some Argent and Santana SQ and left it. I meant to be playing it on Vario-Matrix, which has the dimension control.

I run a Marantz 4000 quad preamp, it has dedicated quad scope outs.

Well, I forgot I had it on SQ, actually. I was listening to some Argent and Santana SQ and left it. I meant to be playing it on Vario-Matrix, which has the dimension control.

I'm gonna have to dig into the closet now and look at the back panel of those receivers... Dang it, now I need one more unit?

I was just thinking of powering up a Sony EP9ES in 4.1 or 5.1 mode and then drive the side and rear channels in parallel.

But yes, the Vario-Matrix actually works quite well. Specially with some of the live 60s and 70s recordings.

Besides, honestly, what use do you have of that Marantz 4000? I'll bet it doesn't even do Dolby Digital, Atmos or room correction. Tell you what, PM me and we can work a deal where I will take if off your hands. ;-)

Last edited:
That 4000 ties my system together. The problem with Marantz quad receivers is they don't have much power, so I looked for a Marantz quad-preamp solution that would let me run two monster stereos tied together. The 4000 is set up so that it can boss a rear amp by itself via adjusting some pots in the back to dial it in to your front stereo, but it is even more fun with a rear preamp as well.

I've got a 2385 receiver up front, and a 3650 preamp running either a 170DC or a 300DC amp in the back, with this 4000 in between. 2 channel sources can come from either the receiver or the preamp, and 4 channel sources go right into the 4000.

Vario-Matrix is exclusive to Sansui. The Marantz Vari-Matrix is just a simple basic decoder with adjustable parameters via the Dimension control. Vastly different animals.

That 4000 ties my system together. The problem with Marantz quad receivers is they don't have much power, so I looked for a Marantz quad-preamp solution that would let me run two monster stereos tied together. The 4000 is set up so that it can boss a rear amp by itself via adjusting some pots in the back to dial it in to your front stereo, but it is even more fun with a rear preamp as well.

I've got a 2385 receiver up front, and a 3650 preamp running either a 170DC or a 300DC amp in the back, with this 4000 in between. 2 channel sources can come from either the receiver or the preamp, and 4 channel sources go right into the 4000.
Aaahhh... a fellow tinkerer... I got four speakers right now... all driven from the same preamp. One runs the 2325 (aux input) and the other the clone Aleph 2s. Sometimes I put a clone B1K preamp in there. Now, what I need to do is put a pair of clone Aleph 5s and the smaller Maggies as rear speakers. But, I still need something to create the rear channels. I got a Sony EP9ES processor that will work for that...

But, seriously, that 4000 looks better.

In year 2000, on eBay, I bought a 4040 integrated amp but the seller shipped me a 2240 receiver, which really pissed me off. After some "negotiations" he lowered the price to $50 bucks -because it was gonna cost a bundle to ship back. Eventually, I gave it away, I didn't need a 2240.

I supposed I've been so mad about that all these years that I never did look for a 4000. I do have a fully decked out 4415 but as you note, the quad receivers are low powered -by today's standards.

Is the 4000 the only quad preamp Marantz made? To be honest, I didn't know Marantz had made a quad preamp.

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html
Tony, I don't know what to call it. It says 4000 Quadradial Adapter, and some places call it a preamp, and others a presenter. As far as I know, no, there were no other quad preamps from Marantz. However, it seems several of the Quad Receivers could be uncoupled from the amp section via jumpers, which would give you a quad preamp able to be hooked to 4 channels of external massive power, should you need such a thing.

I use this site here to look at them.

Tony, I don't know what to call it. It says 4000 Quadradial Adapter, and some places call it a preamp, and others a presenter. As far as I know, no, there were no other quad preamps from Marantz. However, it seems several of the Quad Receivers could be uncoupled from the amp section via jumpers, which would give you a quad preamp able to be hooked to 4 channels of external massive power, should you need such a thing.

I use this site here to look at them.

Funny, yeah I'm aware of that... this is MY own receiver... I sent him pictures when he started... ;-)

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/4415.html
Being the baby of the family, it doesn allow pre-amp jumpers. For the Wurley, I wonder if I could use the tape out jacks? Are they before or after the quad decoding circuit. I guess I need to find the schematics.

BTW, I had this baby fully rebuilt about three months ago... She sings. Those are pretty powerful 15wpc.

Oh, that RC-4 was a PITA to clean up without destroying, and recently I got the CD-4 demodulator. It powers up but my TT is not set up for that (or rather, I haven't tried it you). I do have some CD4 LPs.

I found a guy in NYC that fixed my RC4. I've got a AT-15SS for CD-4, works pretty well.

I am going to guess that 4 channel tape out should be after the decoders so you could 4 channel R2R record a CD-4 record back in the day. Should be able to park the Wurly right on the tape outs and whatever else on its out jacks.

I found a guy in NYC that fixed my RC4. I've got a AT-15SS for CD-4, works pretty well.

I am going to guess that 4 channel tape out should be after the decoders so you could 4 channel R2R record a CD-4 record back in the day. Should be able to park the Wurly right on the tape outs and whatever else on its out jacks.
I don't know about Marantz, but many quad receivers do not output the built-in matrix decoders from tape out. My Kenwood will output CD-4 and discrete from the tape outs but matrix mode comes out only as un-decoded front source.

I don't know about Marantz, but many quad receivers do not output the built-in matrix decoders from tape out. My Kenwood will output CD-4 and discrete from the tape outs but matrix mode comes out only as un-decoded front source.

So I guess the Wurly will go into the HT in parallel with the amps, on the output to the power amps.

Unless I decide to up my office system to quad with the Sony.

Looking at the 4000's schematic, I see you are right for the tape outs on it. The scope outs are behind SQ/VariMatrix, so I could record out of them. That'd be interesting.

Back