Here it is: the JCQS-440 A.F.V. also known as the Wurlyscope.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When do we get to see pictures or a video (or an artists rendering) of the mk2 in action?
For the moment. the new screen pcb is on the drawing board. :geek:
that's what it looks so far...

Attachments

• Screen pcb temp1.jpg
    Screen pcb temp1.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
For the moment. the new screen pcb is on the drawing board. :geek:
that's what it looks so far...

OK in the meantime I guess that I will have to imagine it. Here it is, it’s coming in..........wow my mind is BLOWN! It’s better than expected 😃.

Ahoy! I finished the new smaller screen pcb in just 5 days!
It is now exactly the same size as the mk-I screen.
Have a look at both sides and X-Ray view. :geek:

Attachments

• Screen pcb front new recto.jpg
    Screen pcb front new recto.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen pcb front new verso.jpg
    Screen pcb front new verso.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen pcb front new recto ST.jpg
    Screen pcb front new recto ST.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 56
Will you sell these finished?

Can you please PM me the info? I would be interested in installing a WurlyScope alongside one of my fine Quad receivers... Imagine it next to the Akai AS-980! It would take it from a Spinal Tap 11 to a full 12!

Thanks

Hi all, it's time for a little update on the mk-II.
I have finished the "Insane" control pcb for the mk-II. It's the pcb where all the switches and pot will be soldered.
As i said earlier, it will have a lot more display options than the mk-I had.
have a look!

Attachments

• Control board_mk-II V1.1.jpg
    Control board_mk-II V1.1.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 57
I finished the input preamp & power board / pcb this morning.
9 RCA inputs and 9 pass-thru outputs. I have rigged it so you can use either the white or the red RCA terminals as inputs and use the other color as outputs. Also it will be easy to increase the input sensibility directly on this pcb without having to dismantle the whole unit.
have a look!

Attachments

• Input board_3D vectoriel.png
    Input board_3D vectoriel.png
    364.9 KB · Views: 49
Hi all! As you probably already know, the mk-II is a modular design. To make the assembly trouble free i have designed a special circuit to insure the modules are working properly before plugging them into the control and screen board.
So here is the testing board. It will not be part of the mk-II but it will allow me to make sure each modules are working the intended way.

Attachments

• test module.jpg
    test module.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 40
Little update about the mk-II.
I sent the gerber files to have the comparator and amplifier pcbs made as well as the tester pcb.
I decided to make them red. Won't they look hot or what? lol

i can't wait to test these and compare with the simulated model.

Attachments

• amplifier module3D.png
    amplifier module3D.png
    575.2 KB · Views: 45
  • comparator module3D.png
    comparator module3D.png
    579.8 KB · Views: 45
  • test module3D.png
    test module3D.png
    604.4 KB · Views: 37
I sent the gerber files to have the comparator and amplifier pcbs made as well as the tester pcb.

I'm amazed how quickly you design these PCBs Jean - not only must you have great PCB layout S/W you are also clearly very good at using it! Well done - I look forward to seeing the prototypes. Thanks for keeping us to date with your progress.

I'm amazed how quickly you design these PCBs Jean - not only must you have great PCB layout S/W you are also clearly very good at using it! Well done - I look forward to seeing the prototypes. Thanks for keeping us to date with your progress.
The more i use the software, the better i get. :)
The harder is deciding where to position the electronic and mechanic elements on the pcb. I'm grouping the elements.
For example: On the amplifier module and the control pcb i have 7 times an almost identical op-amp circuit. I put aside parts for each amp circuits and design the first amp. I take time to optimize it to fit in less space as possible. Once the first amp is complete, i simply copy this design for the other amp circuits and tweak them to fit in the available area.
For the mk-I screen pcb, i worked very hard to calculate the angle of each LED and position them in a round pattern.
For the mk-II i used a tool i didn't knew back then. This tool easily create circular array and automatically calculate the right angle of each elements.
That's why it took so little time to resize the screen pcb 2 weeks ago.
The mk-II is a complex analog system with many elements. I guess inspiration and experience play a great part too.
:cool:
My new M1 computer and 4k monitor help a lot too...
:SB

And a built in fog machine with laser projections.
I got five fog machines.. I use them in Halloween... maybe I ought to get the lasers too?

Come to think about it, I've never thought about using a fog machine inside the house... it might be awesome to play some disco in the Marants with the Variomatic in the den... with a couple of 1000 watt fog machines running.

Perhaps turning the Wurlyscope into a projector of sort onto the fog.

Just wondering where you have your boards made? Is it expensive? They do look very impressive!

Just wondering where you have your boards made? Is it expensive? They do look very impressive!
I have them made by pcbway and JLpcb. You can easily find them on the web. As long as your design is sound the resulting pcbs will be awesome and look totally professional! :)
I learned it the hard way. The first two batch of pcbs i made one year ago had major flaws, like unconnected pins on some parts etc. They will not correct that.
The pcbs will be made exactly like you sent them. I had to throw these away...💩
I now i use the verification tools and check and re-check everything before sending them the gerber files because, once you upload your files and pay, it's already too late to cancel your order.:(
Two layers pcb are cheap as long as you keep the size small.
4 layers pcb are much more expensive.
Yesterday i have re-designed the amplifier and comparator modules shown above so they no longer necessitate a 4 layer pcb, to save a lot fo $$$.

Last edited:
I got five fog machines.. I use them in Halloween... maybe I ought to get the lasers too?

Come to think about it, I've never thought about using a fog machine inside the house... it might be awesome to play some disco in the Marants with the Variomatic in the den... with a couple of 1000 watt fog machines running.

Perhaps turning the Wurlyscope into a projector of sort onto the fog.
Hide all mirrors and make sure you wear a protective visor... 😎

Back