Here it is: the JCQS-440 A.F.V. also known as the Wurlyscope.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you please break mine in with some Mozart and 15th century Gregorian Chants? Something a bit, ahem, more genteel. None of that Club The Baby Seals heavy techno stuff that they so like in Newfoundland.

My new Aleph 2s were broken in with Hoff's (*) music... I had to undo that before I could listen to them. It took several hours before I could listen to Peter Frampton Comes Alive :: Do You Feel Like We Do... over the amps.

It'll probably take a month before I can play Jazz At The Pawnshop or anything by Thelonious Monk.

Hmm... I wonder. if I took the stereo tape output of the preamp and drove it into the input of a Sony EP9ES and create some 5 channel ambience with no subwoofer. Then I run a Y cable from either front L/R to the subwoofer and also run Y cables from the side surrounds to the rear... That Frampton LP was recorded live and it has a lot of ambience. In fact, I got quite a few live records (Dead anyone?).

I got the gear, got the amps, got the speakers, got the wires, got the living room... soon I might have a very pissed wife.

(*) David Hasselhoff... no kidding. The builder has a perverse liking to that guy and heavy rock too. It's a running gag, he even sent me a CD. I haven't played yet since I don't have a CD player in the main rig.

Can you please break mine in with some Mozart and 15th century Gregorian Chants? Something a bit, ahem, more genteel. None of that Club The Baby Seals heavy techno stuff that they so like in Newfoundland.

My new Aleph 2s were broken in with Hoff's (*) music... I had to undo that before I could listen to them. It took several hours before I could listen to Peter Frampton Comes Alive :: Do You Feel Like We Do... over the amps.

It'll probably take a month before I can play Jazz At The Pawnshop or anything by Thelonious Monk.

Hmm... I wonder. if I took the stereo tape output of the preamp and drove it into the input of a Sony EP9ES and create some 5 channel ambience with no subwoofer. Then I run a Y cable from either front L/R to the subwoofer and also run Y cables from the side surrounds to the rear... That Frampton LP was recorded live and it has a lot of ambience. In fact, I got quite a few live records (Dead anyone?).

I got the gear, got the amps, got the speakers, got the wires, got the living room... soon I might have a very pissed wife.

(*) David Hasselhoff... no kidding. The builder has a perverse liking to that guy and heavy rock too. It's a running gag, he even sent me a CD. I haven't played yet since I don't have a CD player in the main rig.
Sorry (not). But I can't resist:

Looks like the Mk II model 5R is mine. Can't wait to play with it. Thanks Jean for all your excellent work on this project.

mk-II siblings pictures

and a video in slow-mo showing the instant and precise display of two daisy chained units with no lagging whatsoever.
(lower your volume)
https://youtube.com/shorts/Ly1w92t5tsU

Attachments

• IMG_5351.jpeg
    IMG_5351.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5368.jpeg
    IMG_5368.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5364.jpeg
    IMG_5364.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 12
These are insane. I enjoy seeing the differences in the build options.

The knobs in mine go to 11.

I honestly don't know how he didn't go nuts with all the possible combinations...

But this is the beauty of such sites... finding people like Jean who are willing to do these "labors of love". My Aleph 5 amps have custom boards with my name on them because I was the first guy to order them so my down payment served to pay for the first batch. So, now, anyone buying those DIY boards has my name on them.

Then I had the Aleph 2s built. Even though they are Off The Shelf components I had a b ig say on everything.... including having them build mirror image (You know, Left and Right)... colors of the LED (*), options, etc...

How cool is this, huh? There are people out there shelling untold gobs of money on their equipment and it's all Off The Shelf... while we get bespoke components.

I don't think Jean is gonna get rich from this... but I truly appreciate his effortss.

Thanks!

(*) Well, the front panel LED is a whole story. I was thinking of red or white or green... but the Pass DIY community believes that Blue Sounds Better... a running joke I believe... so now I got like 9 amps all sporting blue LED lights.

Last edited:
Hi All!
I have the wood for the remaining cabinets and the tinted plexiglass windows too.
Today i will complete the remaining input amplifiers.
Good day! :cool:
Altho I am quite happy with my Wurlyscope original, if I could afford a new one I certainly would go for it. The upgrades made in circuit design & enclosure/panel is significant. I've really enjoyed looking at the videos.

Congrats to all those with new ones on the way!

Altho I am quite happy with my Wurlyscope original, if I could afford a new one I certainly would go for it. The upgrades made in circuit design & enclosure/panel is significant. I've really enjoyed looking at the videos.

Congrats to all those with new ones on the way!

Wait till Jean has to deal with the Atmos version... you know, 7.2.4 or something crazy like that.... he'll have to stack TWO display one on top of the other.

Hmm... maybe mount the LEDs on a clear sphere so the LED appear to float on space.

Yep, he'll go nuts. He'll likely learn Brazilian and move to the Amazon to grow bananas or something easy like that.

Hi all !

Little note to make sure you'll be ready to operate your new JCQS-440 mk-II / III right away!

You will need a 5 volt regulated (rated for 1 ampere or more) power adapter with a barrel jack type connector plug
to power your mk-II or mk-III as shown in the pictures below.
I do not provide it with these models as these are widely available locally.

Center positive

Good night!

Attachments

• IMG_5343.jpeg
    IMG_5343.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5424.jpeg
    IMG_5424.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Center Positive , yes?( Just to be 100% sure) is 1000ma adequate or is "mo bettah"?
1000ma (1A) is adequate. I didn't made amp measurement yet but the design is consuming very little power.
Quality is paramount here because there is only one issue with these new models and i think it's caused by poor quality power supply.
When one channel is overdriven, it may causes noise in other channels. It looks like cross-talk but it occur only when overdriven.

Hi all!
The last 12, 8,1ch input amplifiers are finally completed!
20 unit in total! :cool:
Next: complete the 3/4 built last 34 amplifier modules.

Attachments

• IMG_5427.jpeg
    IMG_5427.jpeg
    413.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5429.jpeg
    IMG_5429.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 0
Back