Here it is: the JCQS-440 A.F.V. also known as the Wurlyscope.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at the 4000's schematic, I see you are right for the tape outs on it. The scope outs are behind SQ/VariMatrix, so I could record out of them. That'd be interesting.

I wonder about the Akai AS980, I don't see any "scope outputs" on its rear channel. Sucks that such a huge beast couldn't bother to put four more RCA jacks.

I suggest the names:

WurlyQuadVision, WQV
WurlyOctaVision, WOV.

I wonder about the Akai AS980, I don't see any "scope outputs" on its rear channel. Sucks that such a huge beast couldn't bother to put four more RCA jacks.
It could be connected on the Tape 2 or Tape 3 front/rear outputs

Jean,
Did you ever have any luck connecting with Matt - Techmoan. I sent a couple of emails but don't know if they ever hit bottom.

Jean,
Did you ever have any luck connecting with Matt - Techmoan. I sent a couple of emails but don't know if they ever hit bottom.
No i haven't tried lately, being more occupied to complete the orders...
I write a comment once on his last "Audio visualizer" video. I think it was last winter...

The mk-II was a maxed-out experiment. If there will ever be a mk-IV, it will be much simpler and probably only 5.1ch.

HI All!

I finished all sold units!
The other good news is:
I still have 2 x mk-II and 4 mk-III units available! :cool:

Mine shows it got to NYC in two days, but for the last for days it shows no change from NYC.

With my luck, it will be like the package last years from NY to SoCal that got put in a truck, went through Chicago to North Dakota and got lost in Manitoba.

Then, four days later it appeared at my doorstep, no signature required.

Truly the Achilles Heel of using the Internet for shopping/shipping stuff.

No i haven't tried lately, being more occupied to complete the orders...
I write a comment once on his last "Audio visualizer" video. I think it was last winter...

The mk-II was a maxed-out experiment. If there will ever be a mk-IV, it will be much simpler and probably only 5.1ch.
For the MkIV, you should do it backwards.... the subwoofer, expands from the middle, and the 8 channels come from the perimeter.

Then for the MkV, you do Atmos.. a 3D display. Sort of like a Mount Doom.

Mine shows it got to NYC in two days, but for the last for days it shows no change from NYC.

With my luck, it will be like the package last years from NY to SoCal that got put in a truck, went through Chicago to North Dakota and got lost in Manitoba.

Then, four days later it appeared at my doorstep, no signature required.

Truly the Achilles Heel of using the Internet for shopping/shipping stuff.
I will be there soon!

For the MkIV, you should do it backwards.... the subwoofer, expands from the middle, and the 8 channels come from the perimeter.

Then for the MkV, you do Atmos.. a 3D display. Sort of like a Mount Doom.
For now i don't think i will make any more after these.
I don't want a divorce! :eek:
Besides i have a lot of other things to fix in our new 70 years old house. :oops:
I have a collection of vintage turntable i want to restore and place in oak plinths. :cool:
I'm not getting younger either! 🙃

So i'm afraid these will be the last ones ever... o_O
I will continue to give support to those who bought it 😎

Besides i have a lot of other things to fix in our new 70 years old house. :oops:
I have a collection of vintage turntable i want to restore and place in oak plinths. :cool:

What kind of turtables?

I've been updating my Linn LP12 since the day I got it 25 years ago... running a Grado Master 2. Currently running a CJ PV9 updated at the factory with the new fancy SE teflon caps, but I'm getting a DIY fully adjustable (load, gain, cap) Pass Pearl 2 with a custom rear panel that has lots of switches and knobs. I don't know if he put two inputs or one. I didn't specify it.

...but I thought maybe I ought to build one of them idler decks with a different type of cartridge.

Would I be unhappy with the sound compared with my almost modern LP12?

House... yeah, we rebuilt our house 22 years ago... fully new electrical with home runs for the stereos, HT, data closet, every room has its own circuit now (new code), etc... best money ever spent (OK, the roof, updated HVAC and kitchen came close...). Besides, I new a new office/audio room because my house looks like an audio salon.

What kind of turtables?

I've been updating my Linn LP12 since the day I got it 25 years ago... running a Grado Master 2. Currently running a CJ PV9 updated at the factory with the new fancy SE teflon caps, but I'm getting a DIY fully adjustable (load, gain, cap) Pass Pearl 2 with a custom rear panel that has lots of switches and knobs. I don't know if he put two inputs or one. I didn't specify it.

...but I thought maybe I ought to build one of them idler decks with a different type of cartridge.

Would I be unhappy with the sound compared with my almost modern LP12?

House... yeah, we rebuilt our house 22 years ago... fully new electrical with home runs for the stereos, HT, data closet, every room has its own circuit now (new code), etc... best money ever spent (OK, the roof, updated HVAC and kitchen came close...). Besides, I new a new office/audio room because my house looks like an audio salon.
They are not all audiofile models but rather a collection of different notable brands and mechanism.
The best one i have is a Cambridge Audio TT50 and 640p pre-amplifier.
For my quad system it's an E.D.S. 15S belt drive with a technics 451C SC cartridge.
My casual player are 1985 Realistic LAB430, SONY PS-T22, and these linear tracking TT: SONY PS-FL7 and SONY PS-LX520.
My vintage TT:
A DUAL 1019, ELAC Miracord 50H, Garrard AT-6, Garrard 3000, Garrard 6-2000C, Garrard Lab 55b, Magnavox Micromatic, Perpetum Ebner REX aa, Philips GA160, 3 portable record players with BSR Monarch changers, 2 portable grammophones.
Finally last year i bought this 1970 "space-age era" National-Panasonic SE-970 "Spartan" at an auction.
The amplifier section goes down to hide the turntable.
It is complete and working but need a major restoration. Germanium transistors and 16 ohms speakers.
The changer look a lot like BSRs at first glance but i'm not sure if it's the case.
I know it's far from Hi-Fi but for me it brings so much found memories of my childhood.
With all the shining parts, it will make a nice display.
img.axd.jpeg

1970-panasonic-spartan-se-970-fm-am_1_427d6e92dde89080bb22f8136c9c5669.jpg

Panasonic made BSR clones with their name on them. But they had their own mechanisms.

The BSR mini had a 12-inch - 10-inch intermix index. The Panasonic had a size switch.

I also have a collection of turntables, mostly for the unique features each has:

Turntables I use:
- My much modified Collaro TSC-640-200
- PE-2038B
- Lenco L-78 (odd speeds)

Turntables collected because of features (most don't work due to loss of rubber parts):
- Webster-Chicago 356 (first 3-speed record changer)
- Dual 1006A (plays odd sizes, repeat button)
- Glaser-Steers GS-77 (mixes 33 and 45)
- Heathkit AC-3 (Same as GS-77)
- V-M 1200 S (The standard Tri-O-Matic mechanism)
- Collaro TSC-640-200 (spare parts for the one I use - still intact)
- Garrard SL-55 (size intermix)
- Garrard AT-40 (same)
- Garrard 2025 (example of pusher backtravel shutoff)
- RCA RP-215 (modified to add single record repeat and stop command)
- Dual 1225 (left in house by tenant)
- Panasonic RD-700 - (Panasonic variant of BSR)

Turntables I used to have that I no longer have of for some reason:
- Motorola RC-36 (never worked - got rid of it when I moves)
- Philco M-22 (gave away)
- VM-936 (Put in a console I sold)
- Rek-O-Kut and Gray arm (traded for the PE)
- Magnavox K400 (gave as gift)
- VM-1586 (gave away)

Panasonic made BSR clones with their name on them. But they had their own mechanisms.

The BSR mini had a 12-inch - 10-inch intermix index. The Panasonic had a size switch.

I also have a collection of turntables, mostly for the unique features each has:

Turntables I use:
- My much modified Collaro TSC-640-200
- PE-2038B
- Lenco L-78 (odd speeds)

Turntables collected because of features (most don't work due to loss of rubber parts):
-
That's quite a collection!

This Panasonic have a size sensor next to the over arm's base and the pushing lever on the spindle is oriented differently.
The sound it make when cycling is slightly different than the BSR mini-changer.
I will know for sure when i'll have a look at the under side.

Sweet......so what you are saying is that I am holding on to a collector’s item? Maybe you could make specialized plaques for each one to affix to the back, showing the production number and the owners name. For cost and shipping of course. One day the legend of the Wurlyscope will be talked about with the same reverence afforded to cars like the 1963 Corvette.

Sweet......so what you are saying is that I am holding on to a collector’s item? Maybe you could make specialized plaques for each one to affix to the back, showing the production number and the owners name. For cost and shipping of course. One day the legend of the Wurlyscope will be talked about with the same reverence afforded to cars like the 1963 Corvette.
The back plate say: limited edition and
the serial number is on a P-touch label.
:cool::cool:

Sweet......so what you are saying is that I am holding on to a collector’s item?
That’s for sure!
Believe me, it is stressful, very costly to develop, sourcing the parts ( over 49000! ) and build 20 units like the mk-II and mk-III.

Last edited:
That’s for sure!
Believe me, it is stressful, very costly to develop, sourcing the parts ( over 49000! ) and build 20 units like the mk-Ii and mk-III.
I tell folks that I have, on its way, a built by hand piece of quad delight, built by a human being in Canada...and even those who would rather eat glass than listen to my audio joy, exclaim in wonderment, how is that possible? It is a considerable feat indeed.

Back