• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Hey everyone, there's a change in forum ownership

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clement

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
I'm at a loss (and if you are familiar with my posts, you know just what a profound statement those four words are). I PMed you once; I was so nervous writing to someone so important to a site that had become so important to me that I began, "Mr. Urban!"

Your reply to me was kind and noble and thoughtful; it was a reflection of the Mr. Urban I have come to know and love through your presence here. I feel very blessed to have experienced a year and a half of QQ under your guidance; QQ is my FAVORITE site, and I believe I love it so much because of the community you fostered here. Stay Surrounded, comrade! I wish you peace

kfbkfb

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Thanks for creating and maintaining QQ, it gave me the opportunity to:

Ask Louis Dorren many questions about CD-4 and Quad (which he was
kind enough to answer).

and

Connect QQ CD-4/Quadradisc enthusiasts with Pspatial Audio and
their offer to create an all software CD-4 Decoder.

IMHO, streaming/downloading is the best hope for Surround Sound,
so long as the industry settles on 1 or a few methods (channels and
speaker arrangements) for it.

Kirk Bayne

symbionproject

Thank you so so much for this amazing forum and all you've done to keep it going over the years!
As a composer/producer who creates quad albums, this literally was the only place I could reach an audience for my quad digital releases for Symbion Project.
Thank you for a place to reach new listeners and share the love of quadraphonic surround audio!
Best to you in your future adventures!

Kasson

epaladin

All the best to you Jon!! An amazing achievement and I'm sure an expression of love for immersive audio and great music. As a audio recording engineer back in the 70s & early 80s I experienced quad in its infancy and was privileged to mix a couple quad albums, At Fillmore East & Eat A Peach. (didn't do a great job at it but it was fun anyway) One of my quad faves from the 70s was the Doobie Brothers "What Were Vices Are Now Habits", the song "Black Water" in particular. Lee Herschberg mixed it and was kind enough to give me tips on quad mixing.
Sorry for the ramble but, again, much gratitude for all your time and effort to create and maintain this wonderful website! Wishing you a sweet retirement and may all your remaining days be cheerful and bright!

skherbeck

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
All the best to you Jon!! An amazing achievement and I'm sure an expression of love for immersive audio and great music. As a audio recording engineer back in the 70s & early 80s I experienced quad in its infancy and was privileged to mix a couple quad albums, At Fillmore East & Eat A Peach. (didn't do a great job at it but it was fun anyway) One of my quad faves from the 70s was the Doobie Brothers "What Were Vices Are Now Habits", the song "Black Water" in particular. Lee Herschberg mixed it and was kind enough to give me tips on quad mixing.
Sorry for the ramble but, again, much gratitude for all your time and effort to create and maintain this wonderful website! Wishing you a sweet retirement and may all your remaining days be cheerful and bright!
Eat A Peach and At Filmore East are fantastic mixes!

Quadly McQuadmeister

Jon, This saddens me greatly. But I can't think of a better and more responsible way to pass the torch along. I wish that I was able to get to know you better.
This forum (along with help from a longtime Trumpet student of mine, Marty) helped expose me to MANY more multichannel treasures than I'd have ever been favored to discover had those invaluable connections not existed. Thank you. Thank you and THANK YOU. I wish you happiness and I hope you'll remain on the forum. Best Regards, Rick

epaladin

Eat A Peach and At Filmore East are fantastic mixes!
Thanks SK, appreciate your opinion! I wish I could have a 'do over' on Eat A Peach especially - think I could do a much better mix now. The quad mix was dumped down to stereo and used for the CD release of Eat A Peach so I guess it was alright overall. Still, hindsight is usually 20/20...

beerking

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Thanks SK, appreciate your opinion! I wish I could have a 'do over' on Eat A Peach especially - think I could do a much better mix now. The quad mix was dumped down to stereo and used for the CD release of Eat A Peach so I guess it was alright overall. Still, hindsight is usually 20/20...
Many of us share SK's opinion in the great mixing of these two albums. Perhaps you could start another thread and discuss in more detail what you did in them glory days of Quad mixing!!
I'm sure many of us would find it fascinating.

Sal1950

QQ Supporter
I'm super new here and just caught this post. I understand your feelings as I ran a large site for many years. It can all become a heavy weight on your shoulders and when it stops being fun it's really time to move on. I've been playing around on and off since about 1974 and it is looking like surround sound may finally be taking off (I hope). It will be too bad if you miss a revolution but there are always ways back if you desire, I can see you've made a ton of friends here.
Wishing you all the best in the coming days/years.
Sal1950

chucky3042

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Hi John

Sorry, I missed the announcement (I live in a cave deep down under). So sorry to see you go, fantastic job for so many years on the best surround forum on the net. If you ever visit Australia, please contact me and we will show you around. Best wishes to you and your family

Regards

Chucky

Last edited:

boxhead

Since 2002/2003
Hey Jon, I just checked my join date - August 25 2003, so I guess I've been benefiting from your work and wisdom for the entire time! I haven't had a chance to read this entire thread as I've been offline for the past 3 weeks, but I truly hope the spirit of QQ remains. You created one of the web's truly great resources, and for that I thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.