hey there

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Littlesuzyblue

Just came across the forum, been playing a bit with building up a quad system for a bit now and figured I could maybe, get some pointers/verification here. I got a QRX-9001, currently in Eugene getting some issues dealt with, the wait is long, but from my understanding, this is the way to go. I've also got a Kenwood KR-9940 with the CD-4 decoder, I plan on running this with my SL-1200MkII, with a JVC 4MD-20x cartridge (not yet purchased) or if there's a better cartridge rec I shuld pursue instead?. This outputs to a set of 4 identical S20x Yamaha monitors I have. This seems like it should be pretty good start for my quad setup, my questions are:
1. The Kenwood has a channel that cuts in and out a bit and another that makes a bit of constant hiss. Can anyone recommend someone in the greater Seattle area who could handle this machine properly for what I imagine should be a full re-cap and cleaning, maybe LED upgrade?
2. Should I just go ahead now and change out the SL-1200 to removable cables so I can run lo-impedance cables or just run it and see if I can get a reliable carrier signal with a quad cartridge?
3. I have some other equipment that needs repair and could use recs for that as well:
Pioneer DVL-919, seems to play LDs OK, but does terrible things when running DVDs
GoVideo DDV 9500 dual VHS, that seems to play fine but can't fully rewind tapes
Sony CDP-CX335 that seems to have carriage issues.

Yesterday, my cartridge came in, JVC 4MD-20X, got that setup and aside from a couple minor hiccups on initial run seem to be getting excellent carrier signal pickup on my KR-9940. So, I can decode CD-4, so where do I start? Who has recommedations for that first Quad disc, or care to share memories of that first, ear-opening quad listen?

Yesterday, my cartridge came in, JVC 4MD-20X, got that setup and aside from a couple minor hiccups on initial run seem to be getting excellent carrier signal pickup on my KR-9940. So, I can decode CD-4, so where do I start? Who has recommedations for that first Quad disc, or care to share memories of that first, ear-opening quad listen?
What Genre of music you like best?

That Kenwood is a lovely looking piece of gear :)

The Kenwood is pretty nice, I like the aesthetics of it, but I'm pretty eager to get my QRX-9001 back from Eugene all restored, and see how that sounds, The Kenwood's pretty but completely unrestored and you can hear that in it a bit. I like a lot of different music, in the time/place where CD-4 was particularly relevant Pink Floyd looms fairly large on my likes, I think I saw a copy of Cosmo's Garage in Quad in a record store recently, probably gonna go see if I can find that.

You want an "ear opening" quad? The Doobie Brothers The Captain and Me. Amazing sound quality and fantastic mix. Long Train Running is the bomb in quad!

Another one would be The Best of The Doors. And you can usually find that one pretty cheap. Lots pressed and, except for a very limited run, they were all in CD-4 quad. Look for that Quadradisc logo in the upper left corner.

Last edited:
Back