Hi all

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petechunnie

So my first post, I'm 18mths into my Vintage Hifi passion and have assembled all components with the last items being serviced RTR stereo and quad akai's with my piece of resistance being a Sansui QRX7500 which plays all quad formats. I am now investigating stylus options (excluding CD4 format at this stage) so just QS, SQ and whislt I understand a standard stylus not line will do the job trying to ensure the correct frequency range is picked up from the quad records I'm finding a little tricky. If we consider non line and therefore optical most stylus (I'm running pro-ject & Sansui turntables) don't appear to have the frequency range I ultimately require for the quad range pickup. Am I correct or not quite? Also running a pair of Bose 901s series 3 fully restored W active equilizer and am contemplating either anothet matching pair or another vintage set to make up the quad spkr components. Upon listening to whatever I select now it may very well change as I get to sit deep into the space. So summarising 2nd set of speakers required and an appropriate
stylus. Most only go to 20hertz as the std stylus from the turntable manufacturers....I am constructing a purpose built sunken lounge to house the system and offer the
best listening opportunity....so very excited to say the least. Any suggestions I welcome and thanks to everyone who contributes ive learnt so much as a.result
of all your sharing..I appreciate you all!

Matrix ( QS, SQ) systems need only a standard stylus like for stereo records, no extended frequency response needed for those. 20Hz-20Khz. That's excluding CD-4.

CD-4 is the one that requires response up to 45Khz, low-capacitance cables/wiring, special stylus shape.

Welcome, mate,

Yes, CD-4 and any other discrete system using super sonic groove engravings are the exceptions. All matrix schemes just need standard two channel cartridges to work fine.

Have fun and enjoy those quad records!

Doug

Last edited:
UD4 also requires a wider range, but not a different stylus.

Note that CD4 and UD4 cannot be slip cued (started from a dead stop as radio stations do). The blank groove between tracks is not blank. A swooping sound happens.

Yes, CD-4 and any other discrete system using super sonic groove engravings are the exceptions.

"Groove engravings" - what a lovely term! I guess that's why modern LPs are now so expensive - all those old, skilled, disc engravers have long since retired.

Last edited:
Back