Hi Folks

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keshlam4

Hi, folks. I'm pretty well known as Keshlam -- almost globally unique according to ego-seaech -- so let's stick with that nickname and identity.

Retired software developer -- my degree claims hardware but that isn't my strongest suit. My whole sound system has been in a box for the past decade as most of my listening has been mobile or otherwise convenient rather than serious, but I'm getting it all set up again.

Amp/decoder is an Onkyo 5.1 just young enough to have a digital input or two but otherwise all analog. I've got a cheap HDMI-to-analig toy to connect from more recent devices. Speakers are an equally old Cambridge Soundworks satellite set with passive sub.

As this may imply, I'm not a perfectionist. The room has limitations, the house has limitations, I'm not usually trying to listen critically, and realistically good enough really is good enough.

I'm an occasional sound tech and am starting to use more of the studio software I've accumulated, and on that will I listen critically -- but that doesn't go through the entertainment center, and I haven't had reason to play with surround mixes yet. Though if anyone knows of affordable encoder software, I do have a personal project or two where that might be useful.

Completely random observation: Given a 3D printer, it's pretty easy to design and "manufacture" cable guides to suit the cables you're working with. Most of my speaker wiring is at intersections of walls/ceiling/floor, visible but not objectionable for now. It'll vanish more completely if/when I add fancy trim to the living room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back