Hi-resolution, dogs, and Avalon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr. simple

Not really a doctor...
QQ Supporter
I had some unexpected empty house time tonight, so I decided to give the "Avalon" SACD another listen.

Now, I bought the SACD back when it was on the shelf at a reasonable price, but I was not previously a fan of the album. With all the mentions of it on the "Go-to demo quality SACD" thread, I thought I'd better listen again.

I'm 45 years old and never had a dog until we got a boxer last March. Lucy (named after the Beatles' Lucy) is now 6 months old.

So, is everyone familiar with the woman singing in the left-rear speaker during the end of the title track of "Avalon"? Well, Lucy was quite intrigued by the woman coming from the ceiling. She made that cocked head movement that dogs make when they don't quite understand. So much so that she went upstairs to where the woman must have been...

I like to think that Lucy hears much better than any of us, and that this is a testament to the quality of SACD and my Ascend speakers. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but at least now I understand why people love dogs and "Avalon" so much.

great tale buddy, it reminds me of one day when i bought Aerosmith´s "Toys in the Attic", i took the wrap off, put in in my player, and started listening to it, i was listening to the song "Walk this way", and my girlfriend (now wife) was reading a magazine (cosmo or something like that), when she suddenly frightened at the sound of the bells that "appeared" from the rear speakers. That sound is very very real when it comes out from my speakers. I just started laughing at my girlfriend and tried to imitate the expresion of her face when she frightened, haaaa it was very funny. This same thing has happened with at least 4 more persons, ¡¡¡¡unbelievable!!!!

Also i remember the first time i listened to Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon, i don´t remember exactly what song i was listening (but there is a part when a lot of voices are coming from the speakers), but i remember i tought somebody was outside the principal door of my apartment, cause i could hear somebody talking outside, so i paused the player , and checked the door and opened it, but nobody was outside, so i went inside again, and put play again, and again i started hearing voices, that time i realized they were coming from the speakers, haaaaaa, i started laughing at myself i couldn´t believe it, haaaaaa.

By the way, Avalon is excellent, is in my top 5, An excellent sacd and superb music.

Last edited:
Lucy was quite intrigued by the woman coming from the ceiling. She made that cocked head movement that dogs make when they don't quite understand.

Why would I be reminded of this?

rca-dog.jpg

great tale buddy.

Don't you mean "great tail"?

Wow, that was really bad, I guess I'm in the doghouse.

My friend's cat hated Mr Self Destruct by NIN. There's some major league high end noise going on there.

i do have german shepherd dog and strangely enough, he is reacting quite agressive on the barking dog in the song "Dogs" from album "Animals" of Floydflush pseudo-quad release but absolutely indifferent to the same dog's barks, when it's come from original CD or LP. i cannot see explanation why.

Back