Holy Cow Oppo BDP-103

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So that was easy I guess. I've got media files shared with the Oppo and currently it's playing me some Floyd.
No clue how to enable Foobar but doesn't really matter I guess.
When I was setting it up WMP pops up and I just closed it.
Now I just need to fine tune which files are available instead of huge random list.

Oh yeah, album art is displaying just fine. Maybe I got lucky this time.
You just have to go to Settings in the start menu then Apps then Default Apps then Music Player, click on whatever is showing there and it will bring up a list of available apps, then click on Foobar.

I never liked WMP and just don’t use it anymore. I need to get off the John and start using J River; but I procrastinate because of learning yet another program and all the setup required. My time is getting short, and don’t want to use a lot of it on a steep learning curve project. Guess I can work into it slowly.
Brother I hear you on that. I just hate spending time doing stuff that should be easy.
Right now Windows (or me) has enabled a library of audio-video files and selected seemingly at random 177 audio files. I need to find out how to just add stuff by folder so it's easier to find on the Oppo. Every time I go to configure media players it always defaults to WMP and i just close the damn thing.
Ah well maybe another 50 internet searches and Microsoft no-help web pages and I'll get there. I've been making good use of the feedback to MS!
You know what P's me off? Click on a link from Windows while you're trying to configure something and the default web page is just another blasted search.
By the way your post on trying to set up streaming from Windoze helped me immensely. I would have never thought to click the Oppo icon in Network to start it. That was the missing piece that had me frustrated yesterday!
Big kudos to you, Sir.
I love QQ.

I was using J River years ago but found that it wouldn't do gapless playback, Foobar does. Just wondering if JR now supports gapless?
It does. I have been using JRiver for some years and it has been there all the time.
CAF66FDA-7697-4272-AEF8-75100D38EBDC.jpeg

Can't help you there. I don't use any phone apps with my music systems.
I don't like added complexity and not one to always have a phone at hand, but my mobility lately has been challenging from an old back injury. On the other hand, I can see all the files in que at the Oppo interface so I do have some control as long I have the remote and in range.
Some folks on the Net swear by the BubbelUpNp app so maybe it could actually make it easier. It's cheap enough so I'm going to give it a shot soon.
I know it seems counter to optimal conditions, but I actually do a lot of listening from an adjoining room with an open door, sort of like radio listening but with better sound. lol. I tend to move between rooms a lot (well until lately, the back thing).

So I tried to stream music over the network again today and I still see all the folders but nothing is showing in them! I might have to have WMP set as default again? So right now I'm "retrieving information and updating files". Will see if it starts to work again but hopefully it won't be changing my image files! Strange everything was working perfectly yesterday without WMP. If this continues I might have to give up using the network and just plug a USB hard drive in, at least that method always works!

So I tried to stream music over the network again today and I still see all the folders but nothing is showing in them! I might have to have WMP set as default again? So right now I'm "retrieving information and updating files". Will see if it starts to work again but hopefully it won't be changing my image files! Strange everything was working perfectly yesterday without WMP. If this continues I might have to give up using the network and just plug a USB hard drive in, at least that method always works!
I have Foobar set as default player, but when configuring the streaming WMP always pops up instead. I have just ignored it so far. At the Oppo I can see the Windows-added audio and video files but I don't know how it's (Windows) selecting them. I have a specific folder with subfolders of flac files I want to use but no idea how right now.
Otherwise, at the Oppo interface from the player itself I can see the files the streaming setup has selected . The Oppo allows random or sequential playback, or you can hit stop and just back out and select which file to play. But lacking a true choice of selection of the music to begin with it gets old pretty quick.

Have you found a way to select specific files/folders to stream to the Oppo?

Not fooling with it this weekend in deference to my wife but will pursue again Monday, hopefully.

All you guys that are using Foobar, give Kodi a try. You might like it even more. Its free. I also think its the player with the most technical help available on QQ. Musicbee is nice too IMO

You got me thinking about something I came across in the last week or so, which I think appeared after the last Windows update! When I was generating the flac and mp3 files for Giancarlo for the new "This Night" album, when I zipped the folder I found 2 extra files in it, yet I couldn't see them in the original folder. I know they weren't there until I checked the stereo files played via Windows Media Player/Groove. The two hidden files were Folder.jpg & AlbumArtSmall.jpg yet I have file extensions switched on and show hidden files switched on in my Windows File Explorer Options, so they should be visible. So I went to Windows File Explorer Options and had a look, when I unclicked Hide Protected Operating System Files (& Apply) they magically appeared.
1637511790533.png

So I wonder if a Windows update has altered your Folder settings, at the moment I can't think of anything that should block you seeing flac/mp3 files in a Shared Folder or Drive if you can see the Folders. But then I am a hardware engineer not a software one!

Yes I started the switch back to WMP but decided to check my files and it was adding those hidden images back in, so I stopped the process.

I just purchased a Pono player and to use it you need JR River to upload files, so I downloaded and installed it setting it as default. Once my drives were scanned and files added to River's library I was able to see them on both my Oppo BDP 103 and BDP 95. Hopefully JR River will work well for this without altering files. I still love the simplicity of Foobar, River is chalk full of IMHO unnecessary features and options.

Yes I started the switch back to WMP but decided to check my files and it was adding those hidden images back in, so I stopped the process.

I just purchased a Pono player and to use it you need JR River to upload files, so I downloaded and installed it setting it as default. Once my drives were scanned and files added to River's library I was able to see them on both my Oppo BDP 103 and BDP 95. Hopefully JR River will work well for this without altering files. I still love the simplicity of Foobar, River is chalk full of IMHO unnecessary features and options.
Great! I hope it works out for you.
I did find something after scouring the internet.
If you want files (any kind really) to get preferential treatment you should rate them as 5 stars. Supposedly this will put the files you want most to listen to at the top of the list, or it may exclude all others, I'm not sure.
Normally should be able to access a file's properties/details/rating and select the number of stars. Well that's a major pain in the butt if you have to do that with every.single.file. But if it works, fine.
One problem.
It's broke in Windows 11 and MS knows it. They are working on a "fix" for WMP. :rolleyes:
Stated like that it doesn't sound good , but hopefully it will be system wide.

EDIT: I also moved the Music library folder to another drive just in case using the Library works better, and this way I don't fill up the OS drive with a bunch of files.

Great! I hope it works out for you.
I did find something after scouring the internet.
If you want files (any kind really) to get preferential treatment you should rate them as 5 stars. Supposedly this will put the files you want most to listen to at the top of the list, or it may exclude all others, I'm not sure.
Normally should be able to access a file's properties/details/rating and select the number of stars. Well that's a major pain in the butt if you have to do that with every.single.file. But if it works, fine.
One problem.
It's broke in Windows 11 and MS knows it. They are working on a "fix" for WMP. :rolleyes:
Stated like that it doesn't sound good , but hopefully it will be system wide.

EDIT: I also moved the Music library folder to another drive just in case using the Library works better, and this way I don't fill up the OS drive with a bunch of files.
I will do whatever's in my powers not to use WMP at this point, and isn't there (IINM) some real limitations as to either codec and/or resolution to play files over the notwork to an oppo? ;)

and was there determined any way to push MC files played through FB2K to the oppo?

I will do whatever's in my powers not to use WMP at this point, and isn't there (IINM) some real limitations as to either codec and/or resolution to play files over the notwork to an oppo? ;)

and was there determined any way to push MC files played through FB2K to the oppo?
Well yes there are limitations but I am not up to speed on what codecs it will play. Have to consult the wiki or the guide on AVS forum.
My 103 won't play mkv but does play some video formats. FLAC is always a safe bet, not sure about m4a yet which I use in Foobar.

I haven't been able to do anything with Foobar because when I try to configure as the media player WMP always opens. Foo set as default music player. Don't know if this is a Windows 11 thing or what.

Actually, I’ve only tried it on the 205 not the 103; and don’t remember if it worked via the network :unsure:
Yup that's how it works on my 105. It's one thing that bugs me about Oppo: you can see ALL available files under music, movies, pictures, but it will only play thge correct respective files under those categories.

Meanwhile on the Oppo remote phone app it also shows ALL the files but no categories. Just select & play. That's better.

Yup that's how it works on my 105. It's one thing that bugs me about Oppo: you can see ALL available files under music, movies, pictures, but it will only play thge correct respective files under those categories.

Meanwhile on the Oppo remote phone app it also shows ALL the files but no categories. Just select & play. That's better.
I can't even see mkv at the 103, even on a usb stick
But anyway at the Oppo, now I can see Foobar but can't seem to initiate playback

Oh and mkv doesn't show up either in music or movie playback.

Back