Holy Cow Oppo BDP-103

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I may, I need some help from you guys in regards my BDP-103.

I tried today to setup for Foobar to act as server for my 103 for file playback.
I installed the UPnP component for Foobar but after that I got a bit lost.
I even installed an Android app on my phone called Bubble UPnP which is supposed to make things easier, but I haven't paid the coin to activate it yet as I'm not sure it's necessary or even a good thing.

In any event thus far I can't see any folders on the 103 probably because I don't know wth I'm doing.

So is there a primer somewhere I can consult?
Seems like I had this working on my BDP-80 , years ago, but remember absolutely nothing.

Throw this old dummy some rope, people. I'm feeling pretty stupid and frustrated right now.
🤷‍♂️

I tried today to setup for Foobar to act as server for my 103 for file playback.
I even installed an Android app on my phone called Bubble UPnP which is supposed to make things easier, but I haven't paid the coin to activate it yet as I'm not sure it's necessary or even a good thing.

In any event thus far I can't see any folders on the 103 probably because I don't know wth I'm doing.

Seems like I had this working on my BDP-80 , years ago, but remember absolutely nothing.

Throw this old dummy some rope, people. I'm feeling pretty stupid and frustrated right now.
I use Jriver but I suspect it is the same with Foobar. You do not "see" anything (except when playing) on the Oppo. You use the Foobar gui to access your files and send them to the Oppo. UpnP is a bit of a pain, so I prefer using the HDMI connection.

I use Jriver but I suspect it is the same with Foobar. You do not "see" anything (except when playing) on the Oppo. You use the Foobar gui to access your files and send them to the Oppo. UpnP is a bit of a pain, so I prefer using the HDMI connection.
Kal, I did not know that. I assumed one would have a view of folders on the pc at the Oppo but I guess that is only for attached storage.
I would indeed use HDMI if the Oppo wasn't so far from the pc.
I could use my HTPC which is very close to the audio cabinet but have not since transferring files from my main pc to the HTPC has been problematic.

Kal, I did not know that. I assumed one would have a view of folders on the pc at the Oppo but I guess that is only for attached storage.
I would indeed use HDMI if the Oppo wasn't so far from the pc.
I could use my HTPC which is very close to the audio cabinet but have not since transferring files from my main pc to the HTPC has been problematic.
I can see my files via the network connection. Originally I couldn't see the D Drive (which contains the bulk of my music files), only My Music on the C drive.. Then after opening WMP and having it scan for files It "registered" the files on the D drive and then after that I was able to see them all on the Oppo. I never actually used WMP for anything but it must have been set as the default audio program. Then somehow Groove became the default player. I usually drag my audio files to Foobar so didn't realize that it wasn't set as default. Also Under properties I have the entire D Drive set for sharing. While another drive that is currently not set for sharing is not visible.

I started noticing that my (folder.jpg) image file which I keep in each music folder started going missing. I figured out that it was still there but hidden and now only 200 x 200 pixels, as well there usually was another hidden file called AlbumArtSmall and sometimes other hidden image files. I suspect that WMP or Groove was doing that but don't know for sure. So far everything seems to work with Foobar set as default.

Last edited:
You can also do it via the network but you don't need to use Foobar or any installed UPnP, if you use Oppo to do the playing.
NAS is the way to go.

Not sure I totally understand what you're trying to do Boonie (maybe stream music over a network from FB2K to the oppo?)

That's something I'd like to know is possible, it would be very cool.

Here's a thread a tried getting going awhile back for this sort of thing, might be some tidbit of info for you in there, but it's not from Foobar.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-an-oppo-player-and-others.29065/#post-515079

Not sure I totally understand what you're trying to do Boonie (maybe stream music over a network from FB2K to the oppo?)
Stirred by your post, I just got up off the chair in the den and walked to the living room. I use JRiver and it, of course, shows me that the BDP-105 is on my network. So, I selected it as the target player and played, so far, a DSD64 stereo and a 24/96 multichannel PCM without any problems. If JRMC can do it, I guess foobar can. What else do you want to know?

I can see my files via the network connection. Originally I couldn't see the D Drive (which contains the bulk of my music files), only My Music on the C drive.. Then after opening WMP and having it scan for files It "registered" the files on the D drive and then after that I was able to see them all on the Oppo. I never actually used WMP for anything but it must have been set as the default audio program. Then somehow Groove became the default player. I usually drag my audio files to Foobar so didn't realize that it wasn't set as default. Also Under properties I have the entire D Drive set for sharing. While another drive that is currently not set for sharing is not visible.

I started noticing that my (folder.jpg) image file which I keep in each music folder started going missing. I figured out that it was still there but hidden and now only 200 x 200 pixels, as well there usually was another hidden file called AlbumArtSmall and sometimes other hidden image files. I suspect that WMP or Groove was doing that but don't know for sure. So far everything seems to work with Foobar set as default.
Wow. That's strange. Sounds like Windows taking control. Are you on Windows 10?

Here's a thread a tried getting going awhile back for this sort of thing, might be some tidbit of info for you in there, but it's not from Foobar.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-an-oppo-player-and-others.29065/#post-515079
Yes, that's exactly what I want to do. The pc is in another room so there's only the network connection. It would be easier probably to use a direct link via hdmi, and my HTPC is right there close to the Oppo but for some reason it and the pc with the ripped music aren't talking and I'm not going to sneaker net the files. I don't get why 4 pc's on the home network one day can access each other for a period of time then won't for a while, but that's a whole 'nother topic.
Also if I can get it working and the Android app I could use my phone to select files supposedly.
I will check out your link.

Stirred by your post, I just got up off the chair in the den and walked to the living room. I use JRiver and it, of course, shows me that the BDP-105 is on my network. So, I selected it as the target player and played, so far, a DSD64 stereo and a 24/96 multichannel PCM without any problems. If JRMC can do it, I guess foobar can. What else do you want to know?
It sounds like having the right software takes the hassle out. I'm not ready to jump into JRiver just yet but nice to know it could be an option. If I can eventually get it working with the phone app that would suit me better and I can sit in the sweet spot and rock.

Wow. That's strange. Sounds like Windows taking control. Are you on Windows 10?
Yes Windows 10. Previously with Windows 7 I was easily able to share my files from one PC to another. Windows 10 made that more difficult. I don't quite understand why the choice of media player on the host PC should make any difference for file sharing. Perhaps the default player has to run in the background to premit streaming to the Oppo? As for the art files it's almost like a computer virus taking control, The new image files are hidden and show up as windows operating files!

Previously some art would display and other would not on the Oppo, now the Oppo is always displaying the imbedded art file every time. And no image files have been altered with Foobar set as the default player.

Yes Windows 10. Previously with Windows 7 I was easily able to share my files from one PC to another. Windows 10 made that more difficult. I don't quite understand why the choice of media player on the host PC should make any difference for file sharing. Perhaps the default player has to run in the background to premit streaming to the Oppo? As for the art files it's almost like a computer virus taking control, The new image files are hidden and show up as windows operating files!

Previously some art would display and other would not on the Oppo, now the Oppo is always displaying the imbedded art file every time. And no image files have been altered with Foobar set as the default player.
I have problems in my home network all the time.. Share files on it then one day one of the pc's is denied access to another. I don't know why they make it so screwed up but even on Windows 7 I had the same problems. ....still do on Windows 10 & 11. Sometimes shared folders even whole drives work for long periods then suddenly don't. Sometimes I can't access one of the pc's from my main rig but it works fine in reverse. It's stupid I have 2 pc's I can reach out and touch and sometimes they won't "talk" to each other.

Anyway I don't think WMP is needed for anything. All I can think of that you may have touched on is the files need to be "registered" in the OS as shared and maybe WMP has an edge on that somehow. Being almost part of Windows more than being a separate app it almost makes weird sense.

I have a little more information after reading your posts and Pupsters so I'll give it another shot today.

So that was easy I guess. I've got media files shared with the Oppo and currently it's playing me some Floyd.
No clue how to enable Foobar but doesn't really matter I guess.
When I was setting it up WMP pops up and I just closed it.
Now I just need to fine tune which files are available instead of huge random list.

Oh yeah, album art is displaying just fine. Maybe I got lucky this time.

Far as I know the service company that repairs Oppo is still in business in California. You can find a link on the old US Oppo site. They generally have a set price per model regardless of problem.
https://oppodigital.com/Support.aspx

This may not fix the problem, but it's fixed a lot of issues on mine. Unplug the unit and leave it unplugged overnight. This will reset the system. May not fix it, but it's a free solution to try before spending $$$.

So that was easy I guess. I've got media files shared with the Oppo and currently it's playing me some Floyd.
No clue how to enable Foobar but doesn't really matter I guess.
When I was setting it up WMP pops up and I just closed it.
Now I just need to fine tune which files are available instead of huge random list.

Oh yeah, album art is displaying just fine. Maybe I got lucky this time.
I never liked WMP and just don’t use it anymore. I need to get off the John and start using J River; but I procrastinate because of learning yet another program and all the setup required. My time is getting short, and don’t want to use a lot of it on a steep learning curve project. Guess I can work into it slowly.

I never liked WMP and just don’t use it anymore. I need to get off the John and start using J River; but I procrastinate because of learning yet another program and all the setup required. My time is getting short, and don’t want to use a lot of it on a steep learning curve project. Guess I can work into it slowly.
I was using J River years ago but found that it wouldn't do gapless playback, Foobar does. Just wondering if JR now supports gapless?

Back