Holy Cow Oppo BDP-103

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the Android app BubbleUpNp but it's only got me confused. I couldn't get any sound from it and switched back to the network function on the Oppo. I'm a little weary of it all right now, got some severe pain issues that is distracting me so I let it go for the moment.

I've had "Unknown Disc" issues with my 103D for a couple of years or so now. My solution, use my cheap Sony player for discs that won't play in the Oppo. Had enough of that, so off with the top cover, remove the plate over the lens, iso p on a cotton bud, clean the lens, put it all back together, choose a disc that I know always reads as unknown and bang it's picked up straight away, wey hey Oppo fixed, wish I'd done this years ago..

Last edited:
I've had "Unknown Disc" issues with my 103D for a couple of years or so now. My solution, use my cheap Sony player for discs that won't play in the Oppo. Had enough of that, so off with the top cover, remove the plate over the lens, iso p on a cotton bud, clean the lens, put it all back together, choose a disc that I know always reads as unknown and bang it's picked up straight away, wey hey Oppo fixed, wish I'd done this years ago..
Yeah had that with one of my Oppo's and did the same a few years ago.

I had that same issue with a Sony SACD player and did exactly the same cleaning - except it worked fir only a few days and then back to rejecting certain discs. I think it was on the fritz, but remained a decent CD player. I gave it away to a friend who needed to play just CDs.

Last edited:
Yeah had that with one of my Oppo's and did the same a few years ago.
I had similar issues with my BDP-95. Contacted Oppo and they put me in touch with Interdyn who sell their parts in Australia ([email protected]). Bought a new laser mechanism which was relatively easy to install and it’ been 100% fine since then. Worth the investment.

I have three Oppo players and love that they digest any digital media. But here is an issue that may start to get worse. Since Oppo no longers makes or supports them, they don't get firmware updates. This caused my Oppo 205 to stop reading incoming streams from Apple Music properly. I had the Apple TV plugged into the Oppo then HDMI audio out to my Trinnov pre-amp to decode. The Oppo could no longer properly break out the audio stream in Atmos or surround.

This will likely start to affect other new media sources although it shouldn't affect legacy physical media. Sad that the best player by a mile is destined for obsolescence.

Last edited:
I have a 105D, and all my issues can be traced to a corrupted thumb drive. No lens issues at all, althouh I have one of those cleaning discs that I’ve never used on it.

The Sony issue could have also been because of some pernicious IP overreach gatekeeping attempts by Sony (Apple did something similar) that even they themselves said the quiet part out loud (admitted) in shareholder meetings. I had an ES5000 in which I had to swap transports with a loss leader model from ePrey in order to fix it. Nasty business, IMO.
I had that same issue with a Sony SACD player and did exactly the same cleaning - except it worked fir only a few days and then back to rejecting certain discs. I think it was on the fritz, but remained a decent CD player. I gave it away to a friend who needed to play just CDs.

I have three Oppo players and love that they digest any digital media. But here is an issue that may start to get worse. Since Oppo no longers makes or supports them, they don't get firmware updates. This caused my Oppo 205 to stop reading incoming streams from Apple Music properly. I had the Apple TV plugged into the Oppo then HDMI audio out to my Trinnov pre-amp to decode. The Oppo could no longer properly break out the audio stream in Atmos or surround.

This will likely start to affect other new media sources although it shouldn't affect legacy physical media. Sad that the best player by a mile is destined for obsolescence.
Can't you just route your Apple TV directly into your receiver? Or wait...it's a pre-amp, I guess, so not technically a receiver, but the same logic applies. Does it not have an additional HDMI input for the TV?

My 103 plays everything but sometimes the drawer won't open while it's playing. Button on player and remote won't open it. I have to shut it off, turn back on and the drawer will open. Doesn't happen all the time, just once in a while. Oppo said clean it, I did and it was clean.

That's what I did and it works fine that way. But sadly it's a sign that the Oppo's are going to play fewer of the new CODECs. They will still be the go to for all the other physical media, but streaming not so much

I guess I don't understand trying to use an Oppo as a base unit if HDMI out is being used. I can sort of understand it with analog separates if that's the choice you've made. But otherwise seems redundant to me. Plus these players are getting pretty long in the tooth now (old). I think we're damn lucky we can still get hardware support at this point. e.g. 1 of the 3 Oppo's I own is a BDP-103. We're talking they came out in 2012!

You go buy a $3000 AVR what kind of support do you get...maybe 3 years?

I may play the occasional DVDA purchase on the Oppo or rip the rare SACD but otherwise all playback for me is digital. Maybe the 103 will hang on until I expire. Fingers crossed.

Even if the disc spinner and drawer call it quits on an Oppo 103, 105, etc. the input, decoding and the analog and digital outputs will keep it in action as a brain of a surround system for at least another decade, perhaps much longer.

Even if the disc spinner and drawer call it quits on an Oppo 103, 105, etc. the input, decoding and the analog and digital outputs will keep it in action as a brain of a surround system for at least another decade, perhaps much longer.
Sure. But why not just go straight to the AVR? I mean assuming there's one in the system...I know not everyone uses an AVR.

Sure. But why not just go straight to the AVR? I mean assuming there's one in the system...I know not everyone uses an AVR.
An AVR does not usually accept all of the format / codecs, and HDMI surround from a PC with JRiver that an Oppo does. I must have an AVR that does analog input for my other players. An AVR often will not have analog inputs. I mean there are great AVRs that do plenty. But I think I've got the most flexible arrangement going right now. Oppo with a Yamaha AVR that has HDMI and 7.1 RCA ins/outs + 110 watts per chan.

Oh and the PC with 16TBs of high-res and surround digital with every big fancy box set from Bear family and Mosaic, and beautiful 24/96 needle drops up the ying-yang.

So I guess it comes down to which AVR you suggest, I know there are some beautiful sounding ones.

What I got going sounds really nice

Last edited:
Back