Holy #@$%!! New Lichtmond Blu Ray including Auro 3D 9.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bright Side

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Hey guys,

thanks to Keenly's new Ambra thread, I did some digging around amazon.de to see what the Ambra/Lichtmond guys have been up to. I found that a new Lichtmond disc came out last month while none of us noticed!

You could classify these as audiovisual concept albums. I never watched all the visuals and usually just listen to the music, which is nothing short of fantastic to my ears. Think Enigma with Prog Rock and World Music influences. Also similar to Schiller's "Leben" in large parts. I have all 3 Ambra discs and the 2 previous Lichtmonds and love them all, so this is an insta-buy for me. The Lichtmond discs, in particular, have been raking in awards for excellence in picture and sound, attracting collaborators like Alan Parsons (Lichtmond 2) and now Midge Ure.

Of course, it's all subjective, but in my personal opinion, the Lichtmond and Ambra discs are criminally overlooked sleepers. They're among the best I have in my surround collection, right up there with Pink Floyd. The masterminds behind this are shooting for nothing less but the very best in terms of sound quality and mix. The Ambra discs (2002-2006) came out on DVD-V, DVD-A and SACD (except the 3rd one, which was DTS only but just came out remastered on Blu Ray in DTS-HD MA 7.1 and 4K video). The Lichtmonds (2010-2014) are all DTS-HD MA, in 5.1, 7.1, now 9.1, video in 3D at 1080p and now 4K - always on the cutting edge of technological developments.

Hands-down some of the best 5.1 I've heard in terms of music (and they're not paying me to write this ;-)).

Info:

Experience Dreamlike Time - with LICHTMOND 3 "Days of Eternity"

With special guests:
MIDGE URE (Ultravox, Band Aid)
I MUVRINI
SKY DU MONT
HARDY KRUEGER Jr.

Tick, tock, tick, tock - time is ubiquitous and simultaneously the most mysterious phenomenon in the world. Both endless and precious, connecting and separating, it flows in permanent haste, moving to its own steady rhythm ...

Experience Dreamlike Time

With LICHTMOND 3 "Days of Eternity" gold and platinum winning sound architects Giorgio and Martin Koppehele continue their artistic journey by setting another audiovisual milestone. Perfect sound and a fabulous, song-based story merge in the LICHTMOND 3 experience that takes you on a fantastic journey to the pristine world of the planet "Chronos" - the universal giver of time - where time disappears, time goes and time is born.

Enjoy the Aesthetics of Sound and Image

Sometimes hypnotic, sometimes spherical, sounds float over massive rock guitars or slow-motion beats. A magic triangle of electronics, ethno and rock songs, big voices and poignant poetry shape the pure originality of LICHTMOND. While audio-magic fascinates anew, perfectly composed visual worlds put the viewer under their spell more than ever. LICHTMOND with its spectacle of fantastic images presents a complete story combined with a perfect dramatic arc.

Discover Pure High-Tech

In addition to the intoxicating sound mixtures in 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound, for the first time the audio pioneers from Germany offer LICHTMOND in a special Auro-3D 9.1 sound mix. The Pure Audio Blu-ray is surprising in that it delivers the various sound formats from LICHTMOND and the playback options of the Pure Audio Blu-ray. For sound lovers a highlight that leaves no wish unfulfilled.
The 3D animation technics from Spanish IMAGO-D Studios (Diego M. Bonati, Javier Sáenz-Messia) offers more color intensity, has a higher resolution, is more expressive and brilliant. And, is already equipped for all requirements of the new 4K UHD technology.

Charts & Awards

#1 Music Video Charts in Germany
#1 Amazon 3D Music Charts
#13 Album Charts in Germany
Gold & platinum awards in Germany
International Impala Silver Award
Video Champion: best music Blu-ray + DVD
CHINA 3D Excellence Award
Full Dome Jena Sound Award
Radio
LICHTMOND has its own radio show: „Klassik Lounge with LICHTMOND“ on Germany’s biggest privat radio station KLASSIK RADIO. Every month a new two-hour LICHTMOND radio show will be broadcasted on Klassik Radio.

Press

"The result is brilliant", (Süddeutsche Zeitung)
"The project is an artistic synthesis", (dpa)
"One of the best 3D-Blu-ray discs of the world", (Movieman)
"Fascinating worlds of music: LICHTMOND is an audio-visual experience setting standards in sound quality", (Widescreen)
"A marvelous entertainment project", (DVD Magazin)

Quotations

Midge Ure: "For me LICHTMOND is a unique combination of music, visuals and brilliant imagination. All coming together to make one great big piece of art. Enjoy it!"

Alan Parsons: "I think it’s possible that LICHTMOND could be the next Tangerine Dream or Kraftwerk. They have the potential. They got the right sound - they got incredible images!"

Sky du Mont: "The combination of music, language and poetry creates a dreamlike atmosphere!"

Thomas W. Kraupe (Director Planetarium Hamburg): "The LICHTMOND 360° Full Dome production will deeply impress visitors of planetariums around the globe!"

LICHTMOND 3 "Days of Eternity":
released on CD, Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray, DVD, Special 3 Disc Edition and Pure Audio Blu-ray
Release Date: 10/10/2014 (blu phase media, distribution by Alive)

Last edited:
from amazon.de

Pure Audio Blu-Ray Version:
- BD 25
- High End Audio (Kein Bild)
- 9.1 Auro3D DTS HD MA 96 kHz/24 bit (englische Gedichte)
- 7.1 DTS HD MA 96 kHz/24 bit (englische Gedichte)
- 5.1 DTS HD MA 192 kHz/24 bit (Instrumental Chill Out Mixe)
- 2.0 DTS HD MA 192 kHz/24 bit (englische Gedichte)
- Flac 192 kHz/24bit
- Wav 44,1 kHz

Oh that's interesting, the poems are available in English as well!

So the Pure Audio has no 5.1 version of the regular album (only instrumental), and there's no option to get the poems in German. Odd.

Does anybody know how 9.1 or 7.1 fares when you listen to it on a 5.1 system? Doesn't that mess up the mix?

Also, if anybody gets (or has) the Pure Audio version, how many channels do the FLAC and 5.1 files have? 5.1?

According to Amazon.de the Pure Audio Blu-ray comes out on Dec 5.

I ordered the Pure Audio from Amazon.de. Cost: 18.48 euros plus 9.16 eur shipping. Total $40 cdn. That can change if the exchange rate between eur/cdn changes before the disc is shipped.

Last edited:
Does anybody know how 9.1 or 7.1 fares when you listen to it on a 5.1 system? Doesn't that mess up the mix?

Also, if anybody gets (or has) the Pure Audio version, how many channels do the FLAC and 5.1 files have? 5.1?

The Lichtmond series (at least 3-4) are very aggressive in surround activity so if you play 7.1 on 5.1, your system might just add all 4 surround to 2 surround, leading to a back-heavy mix. (EDIT: & not particularly discrete surround). You can try tweaking your AVS settings for downmix options. Or simply reduce the rear volume. 9.1 is just 5.1 when played back on a non-Auro decoder. Previous issues may apply.

Perhaps try the german 5.1 mixes, they might be better on a 5.1 system.

Online FLAC surround delivery is almost always 5.1, even though FLAC is capable of 7.1

Last edited:
Not only is Lichtmond 3 in Auro-3D (plus 3D video option!) awesome, but I just bought Lichtmond 4 "The Journey" with 3D video and Dolby Atmos and I'm even more impressed with what they did with it (sonically the main improvement for most systems is the use of rear surrounds that Auro 11.1 doesn't provide, but I think they made more use of in-between "object" locations as well as it feels like I'm sitting in the middle of 3D hologram with Lichtmond 4, while Lichtmond 3 keeps things moving between the typical Auro-3D speaker locations. Both are excellent surrounds discs and demo worthy status. The music is also quite good and if you like Delerium, Engima or Pink Floyd, you'll probably enjoy it.

Back