• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

"Home Made" DTS and DVD-A Conversions of 1970's Quadraphonic releases

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

neil wilkes

No it's not. And I too realize this is a very old tread, but a valid subject. Also the QQ rules are very good for obvious reasons.

"In the EU", that's a wild and broad statement. Finland has been in the EU for more than 20 years, yet all that time, and still it is perfectly legal to make copies of all recordings you have bought, for your own personal use, for your family members AND for your friends. And this even applies to material legally loaned from your friends or a public library (libraries need to purchase special copies normally for this kind of use). This has been in effect since the late 1960's for music and early 1980's for videos.

In Finland consumers have been forced to pay an extra fee for all recording media, including all kinds of blank tape and CD's and DVD's etc. Those funds collected (and the radio airplay, public performance, use in movies, videos etc.) have been distributed according to international (and national) laws concerning copyrights to the owners of that intellectual property. These organisations here are called "Teosto" (Organisation for creators or intellectual property, music, photos, videos, art) and "Gramex" (monitoring all broadcast material and public events). Unfortunately for commercial radio this has meant that they play more American music, especialy the kind that does not need royalties reported and paid for, instead of contemporary and local or European music.

Even bootlegging a live performance is legal in here, of course an artist may have in the ticket conditions that "any kind of recording is prohibited" but in today's world of cell phones offering better video and audio quality than some semi-professional gear form the 1970´s or 1980´s it's pretty much moot. As long as you are not SELLING the copies of the bootleg recordings you have made yourself, they are 100% legal. IF you would take any money against a copy you would be violating the copyright legislation and you should report and pay royalties to the artist, publishing rights owner etc and the artist and/or publishing rights owner could even prohibit you from "publishing" that material in any form or a public presentation or broadcast use any of that material. BUT they can not prevent me privately playing that material for my own enjoyment, or playing it to my family or friends, no matter how many they are, as long as this "event" is not considered public or as long as I don't receive any money from anyone for doing so. So as long as this happens in a private venue (not open to the general public) or I don't get any money for that, it is perfectly legal.

If I bring some of that material with me to the UK or the USA I might be breaking the local laws there (unintentionally), which again is a little bit crazy, as I don't have a separate system and internal hard drive for my laptop for traveling, so whenever I travel in those countries, I do have "illegal" live recordings on my laptop and I could end up going to jail and having my laptop confiscated, right?

I hardly believe having ripped copies (in MP3, MP4, or MEPG4 form) of the CD's and DVD's I have bought in my iTunes on my laptop would be considered "illegal" in any western country, please correct me if I am wrong regarding some other country than North Korea, ok?

I may be mistaken, but I think anyone who visits Switzerland and has TomTom or some other navigation software in their cell phone, that stores the locations of speed monitoring cameras on highways is breaking the law and could get a severe punishment. I haven't removed it from my phone, but I never use it when driving with one of our cars in Switzerland. Instead I use google maps and monitor the driving speed manually. :)
Sorry but you are wrong.
Years ago, we used to offer vinyl to digital conversions for those who owned the records and were hit with a "Cease & Desist" order by the copyright people.
The same thing applies to ripping a CD in the UK - it is illegal, although unenforceable.

Quadrifoglio

Sorry but you are wrong.
Years ago, we used to offer vinyl to digital conversions for those who owned the records and were hit with a "Cease & Desist" order by the copyright people.
The same thing applies to ripping a CD in the UK - it is illegal, although unenforceable.
Hi,

Sorry, but I am not. :) I did say that I might violate some copyright legislation if I bring my laptop to the UK or USA, but here in Finland it is perfectly legal. I have been advised by Teosto Oy and I have declared and paid for use of copyrighted music in some videos I have made.

It is funny then that basically anyone in the UK who has any of their CD's ripped for use on their mobile phone is breaklng the law.
Even iPods and other digital MP3&MP4/MPEG4 and video format recorders and players in Finland are subject to this extra fee.

So you are right it is illegal in the UK, but it is legal in the way I have descriibed in FInland and the EU has nothing to do with it and there have been no problems either. I think our system works well and what's more important is that the artists and copyright holders do get their fair share of funds because of this. Of course there have been political debates and even a "Pirate Party" in Finland to get rid of all these fees, but I think that will not happen, as although it's not huge, this does help the artists get some earnings from the music that's being broadcast on the radio and copied legally in private hands.

Please read here if you think I am making this up:

Teosto and music copyright

Copyright is based on national law and international treaties. In Finland, copyright remains in force for 70 years after the year of the author’s death. Copyright violations are punishable under Finnish law.

Using a work – its copying, distribution, public performance or mechanical reproduction as an audio recording, video or movie – requires the permission of its author. All performances outside the private circle of family and friends are considered public performances.

So to say something is legal or illegal "in the EU" you would probably still need to check where in the EU as there still exists a vast amount of local national legislation and how it's being applied.

Where in practice goes the limit in the UK? The Police are surely not confiscating every mobile phone, computer and device that has "illegally copied music protected by copyright law", are they?

But I believe they might take action against individuals and companies that would offer illegal copies or services in doing so, or anyone who would be illegally sharing and distributing copyrighted material.

From 1984 onwards all cassettes and blank tapes sold to consumers over here have had this extra fee, this was applied to blank CD-R's in 1998 and to all digital media (DVD-R's, iPods, etc.) a couple of years later.

Of course also here record stores can not make any kind of copies for customers of the music they buy, but the customers may legally do so themselves and they may give the copies to family members and friends. That's a verified fact.

Cheers!

Group builder