Home Vinyl Recorder - Cool (maybe), But Why?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagonmaster_91

701 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
You will now be able to cut your own vinyl records with this one-button cutting lathe. At first look it sounds intriguing, but once you get into the details (other than the coolness factor) it is pretty much useless. Check out the FAQ in Learn More.

https://phonocut.com/products/phonocut
It only cuts 10" records. The records can only hold 9 minutes of audio a side. You have to use Phonocut's blanks which are about $13.50 each. It only cuts in stereo. There is no meter to tell you the signal level, so get ready to make some $13 coasters until you figure out a good input level. It currently retails for $3,400.
It would be a good companion piece to set next to your Digital Compact Cassette, HD-DVD video disc player and CED laser disc player.

So in the photo, it looks like someone is making a record sourced from an old Bryan Adams cassette. In what universe would that sound better than an old vinyl copy of the album that you found in a thrift shop for $1?

As for only 9 minutes per side, I guess you'll just have to edit out the drum solo from "In-a-gadda-da-vida". 🤪

Last edited:
You used to be able to buy a record player that recorded from a microphone onto 78s. Then tape technology came into its own in the 1960s and made recording more affordable.

This reminded me, my late father recorded a 78rpm disc of him playing piano, it was a service offered at a record shop in Glasgow. My brother has the disc and we've never heard it, it would have recorded been post 1945, probably when he was doing National Service, as he told us he entered a music competition and was told by the organiser he would have won if he hadn't played his own composition. As I now have a cheap TT capable of playing 78s (I have all his collection) when we next meet up we'll have to listen to it.

This reminded me, my late father recorded a 78rpm disc of him playing piano, it was a service offered at a record shop in Glasgow. My brother has the disc and we've never heard it, it would have recorded been post 1945, probably when he was doing National Service, as he told us he entered a music competition and was told by the organiser he would have won if he hadn't played his own composition. As I now have a cheap TT capable of playing 78s (I have all his collection) when we next meet up we'll have to listen to it.
What a lovely heirloom to have, make sure you record it before it gets broken! Let us know what it sounds like.

Does this machine make lead-in and finishing grooves, or just record a music cut for manual play?

'Once you have experienced PHONOCUT you will never stop thinking of hundred reasons to put your fingers on that magic button. ' :)

Back