Homers MMH (Music Media Helper) gets some cred in Audiophile Style

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, compared to the procedure described in the thread above, how much worse is the process I follow.

Once I rip the MKV file, I use MMH to extract the audio to .m4a. I tag the .m4a files and they are good to go. They play back in Kodi (but with minor glitches that I'll get to another time). I assume this isnt a lossless conversion like the one described in the article above., the file sizes are too small.

Last edited:
I turned Chris onto this forum, and to MMH in particular. I was gonna link his article but you beat me to it. Thanks! Once I'm set up I may try the synch-two-exaSound-dacs togther to get a 5.1.4 capable output. I did it (and wrote about it) eleven years ago with three stacked Mytek stereo dacs, but they had clock synch and an ASIO traffic cop. :)

Great to see MMH get some justly deserved love in a public forum. If the purpose of the elaborate procedure described by the writer is solely to play Atmos losslessly without HDMI output, though, I just don't see the need. (If I didn't have HDMI, no doubt I'd feel differently.)

It’s also about using good higher end dacs that some of us already use for DSD and PCM multichannel files, and to possibly do without pricey pre/pros or AVRs ((although the complexity of video switching, room eq, etc is not a small task)

Spoiler: You can't!
The TLDR at present is:
Only the lossy Apple streaming is unlocked with an Apple Music account. Playing your own files from bluray, etc is NOT unlocked. An AVR or theater install aimed interface with the Atmos decoder hidden in firmware is the only way to decode Atmos at present. The decoder in MacOS remains fully locked out. ALL talk about playing the files is the "pass through" workaround. You buy the new AVR for the hidden software. You pass the encoded file to the AVR for decoding. The decoder in MacOS remains locked out and is not able to be used for this.

The bait and switch talk is getting old. Is anyone working on liberating this?

@jimfisheye I don't doubt your expertise but why do you think Chris's Dolby player is showing height signals, et al?
Playing the lossy Apple streaming content. An account DOES unlock the decoder for the Apple streaming. Just ONLY for the lossy streaming content.

It looks like we're only a media player away from getting this to work. The Atmos decoder appears to live in OS XII. My guess is Dolby refuses to license it to anyone wanting to write a software media player unless they can demonstrate locking it down like Apple has done.

I mean, unless you're saying they just released an OS update that unlocks it yesterday or the day before! Running 12.2.1 at the moment.

Edit: OK, I see what's going on. Dolby has finally released a software player for a yearly subscription (not for sale) at $400 a year.

Edit edit: And this part: The Reference Player will continue to work after one's Media Encoder license has expired, but updates will not be available.

So it DOES look like you can finally get your hands on an Atmos decoder for $400 today!

Last edited:
Playing the lossy Apple streaming content. An account DOES unlock the decoder for the Apple streaming. Just ONLY for the lossy streaming content.

It looks like we're only a media player away from getting this to work. The Atmos decoder appears to live in OS XII. My guess is Dolby refuses to license it to anyone wanting to write a software media player unless they can demonstrate locking it down like Apple has done.

I mean, unless you're saying they just released an OS update that unlocks it yesterday or the day before! Running 12.2.1 at the moment.
Well then you are saying that he is lying (which is not in Chris's nature AT ALL, nor why would he when he is trying to document a possible breakthru) because the Dolby player screenshot (and his text) says it is a TrueHD file of Abbey Road, not an Apple Music stream! Why the harsh bait and switch language? !! Maybe we need to be open to new ideas?

I see you just edited your response after my post, and you actually read Chris's article which clearly says he bought the yearly service for $400 simply to get the Dolby player. I assume the rest of your bait and switch, no this is impossible, response is moot? I only mention this cuz Chris is trying to push the envelope, not pull the wool!!

Alright, just saw this part:
"The Reference Player will continue to work after one's Media Encoder license has expired, but updates will not be available. "

Hmmm...

I stand corrected. But I think I'm going to see if this plays out like Eagles ticket prices before I drop $400 on software today.

Hi Guys, thanks for the link to my article. I understand the skepticism 100%. I was in the same boat until very recently when there was a breakthrough with this. I think we are only at the beginning. There's a command line interface for the Dolby Reference Player and many things that can be done to improve the experience.

I'd love to connect with @HomerJAU because I think there is an issue with how files are extracted. I'm not pointing a finger at the app or Homer, but with my limited knowledge it's the only thing I can think of.

Rather than re-list the issue I've posted, I'm just going to post a link. I hope this doesn't break any rules. I'm honestly just trying to break new ground and move TrueHD Atmos playback to an entire new level. We can finally use room correction with 65,000+ taps, upsampling to PCM or DSD, etc... It's really exciting stuff.

Here's the link - Dolby TrueHD Atmos Decoding on Mac and Windows

@AudiophileStyle Hi Chris. I’d like to solve the issue. Please email me: HomerJAU at gmail.com.

I’m now in day 3 of my first Covid bout, so it may take a couple of days to look at this. It hasn’t been too bad but I’m not very active, suffering headaches, runny nose and feeling miserable. I got it off my 26yo live at home daughter. She’s back at work today.

@AudiophileStyle Hi Chris. I’d like to solve the issue. Please email me: HomerJAU at gmail.com.

I’m now in day 3 of my first Covid bout, so it may take a couple of days to look at this. It hasn’t been too bad but I’m not very active, suffering headaches, runny nose and feeling miserable. I got it off my 26yo live at home daughter. She’s back at work today.

Great and not so great :~)

I’ll email you and hope you get better.

Hi Guys, thanks for the link to my article. I understand the skepticism 100%. I was in the same boat until very recently when there was a breakthrough with this. I think we are only at the beginning. There's a command line interface for the Dolby Reference Player and many things that can be done to improve the experience.

I'd love to connect with @HomerJAU because I think there is an issue with how files are extracted. I'm not pointing a finger at the app or Homer, but with my limited knowledge it's the only thing I can think of.

Rather than re-list the issue I've posted, I'm just going to post a link. I hope this doesn't break any rules. I'm honestly just trying to break new ground and move TrueHD Atmos playback to an entire new level. We can finally use room correction with 65,000+ taps, upsampling to PCM or DSD, etc... It's really exciting stuff.

Here's the link - Dolby TrueHD Atmos Decoding on Mac and Windows

Quality first post, sir, welcome to the forum and kindly forgive us our over-the-top shooting from the hip in our passion for this hobby.
:bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing:
:51QQ
:hi:dance:QQlove:dance:hi

Wishing you a speedy recovery Garry

Back