How can I make this setup work for Quad LP Playback please

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBAF70

I want to be able to play SQ LP's but don't know if I can with what I have. I've read the manuals for these devices listed below but am still not sure. Total novice here. Thanks for any help.

Sony STR-DE415 receiver (1997 model)
Sony SQA 200 Decoder/amplifier
Fossi mini amp
Audio Technica TT with built in preamp
4 speakers
IMG_1718.JPG
IMG_1719.JPG
IMG_1716.JPG
IMG_1715.JPG
IMG_1707.JPG

Yes, if we can verify how to playback Quad SQ records from the members here, that would be great.

I have suggested that this equipment be setup as follows: Please note that the turntable may have a preamp already in it.

Turntable> Phono preamp > Sony input from SQ source > Sony decoded outputs > Amp 1 tape input for front speakers > Amp 2 tape input for back speakers > set both amps for tape playback. Done.

Is this correct? And or is there another way of connecting the gear.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/sqa-200.shtml

So question is, which line out output on this Sony is for the front speakers to connect to a stereo amp?

And the “back speakers” on this Sony are amplified to connect directly into 2 speakers? Is this right, or not.

the “back speakers” on this Sony are amplified to connect directly into 2 speakers? Is this right, or not.
That appears to be the case, and the "output" is the front channels which go to a stereo amp/receiver. Most speakers probably don't use rca plugs, maybe just strip the speaker end of the wire.

That appears to be the case, and the "output" is the front channels which go to a stereo amp/receiver. Most speakers probably don't use rca plugs, maybe just strip the speaker end of the wire.

The front speakers output is next to the SQ source input on the far left back panel. Connect that to stereo amp. And the amplified back speakers can be connected by say, cutting a RCA to RCA connector in half, to create 2 RCA to speaker wire connectors. Hook up the turntable that has built in preamp to far left inputs on back panel. And you’re good for SQ record playback.

The Quad inputs in the back are for either a Quad 8 track player or Quad reel depending what setting you use on the Sony SQ decoder / amplifier.

Thanks.

The front speakers output is next to the SQ source input on the far left back panel. Connect that to stereo amp. And the amplified back speakers can be connected by say, cutting a RCA to RCA connector in half, to create 2 RCA to speaker wire connectors. Hook up the turntable that has built in preamp to far left inputs on back panel. And you’re good for SQ record playback.

The Quad inputs in the back are for either a Quad 8 track player or Quad reel depending what setting you use on the Sony SQ decoder / amplifier.

Thanks.
Hook the turntable up to the far left inputs on the decoder?

Hook the turntable up to the far left inputs on the decoder?

Yes, Decoder. As long as your turntable has a built in preamp. If your turntable doesn’t you’ll soon know by how it sounds. And hopefully the decoder is in good working order.

Yes, Decoder. As long as your turntable has a built in preamp. If your turntable doesn’t you’ll soon know by how it sounds. And hopefully the decoder is in good working order.
The front speaker on the decoder goes to what port on my stereo receiver?

Hook up the back speakers to Back speakers ports on the decoder? Right?
Yes, just like in the photo from the manual above(except ignore the "back amplifier" part). The rear speakers connect directly to "back speakers" and "output" goes to the stereo amp for the front speakers(tape loop). Since your turntable has built in phono preamp, you could connect it directly to the input of the decoder.

Ok I got it all hooked up and put on Ten Years Afters " A Space In Time " SQ LP. It all sounds the same in each speaker. I have the stereo receiver set to tape mode and the decoder set to source. Those are the only settings that I hear music from all 4 speakers. I'm sure its something I did wrong.

Ok I got it all hooked up and put on Ten Years Afters " A Space In Time " SQ LP. It all sounds the same in each speaker. I have the stereo receiver set to tape mode and the decoder set to source. Those are the only settings that I hear music from all 4 speakers. I'm sure its something I did wrong.
And the decoder set to SQ

I just checked and no surround effects are turned on. I've checked the balance on each speaker and it all sounds the same to me.

Back