How can I make this setup work for Quad LP Playback please

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read some old posts describing how "A Space In Time" should sound in quad and I'm not hearing any separation between the front and rear speakers.

I just read some old posts describing how "A Space In Time" should sound in quad and I'm not hearing any separation between the front and rear speakers.

You hooked up the front speakers from the Sony SQ outputs that are right next to the input where you put the record player in?

Here is an SQ test, it starts at center front going clockwise to FR, CR, RR, CB, RL, CL, FL, and then center front again with 10 seconds in each position. Most SQ decoders besides Tate & Involve SM will not have very much front/rear seperation.

Attachments

• SQ Test (8 Positions).zip
    157.8 KB · Views: 117
Here is an SQ test, it starts at center front going clockwise to FR, CR, RR, CB, RL, CL, FL, and then center front again with 10 seconds in each position. Most SQ decoders besides Tate & Involve SM will not have very much front/rear seperation.
So I guess its working but there's just not much of a discernable difference between speakers?

The SQA-200 is a partial logic decoder, which has limited front-back separation. That could be why you're not hearing a lot of separation that way. It uses gain riding to "enhance" front to back separation, but can often create a "pumping" effect. Still, it's a useful decoder.

The decoder has a phase switch on the back. Can someone tell me how to configure phasing so I know what position it should be in. It can be slid in either an A or B position.

An amplifier may invert the phase (180 degrees) due to its design.

In your case, the amp for the front channels may invert the phase, so the A/B switch on the Sony SQA-200 is to compensate for that (at the right setting, LF from your separate front amp will be in phase with LB from the Sony SQA-200 amp, likewise with RF and RB).

Listening is the way to tell if the A/B setting is correct.

Kirk Bayne

Back