DTS-CD How do I convert a 5.1 SACD to dts?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texquad

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
One of our members has offered to make me a dts copy of a out of print 5.1 SACD. Could someone explain the process or give direction. Your welcome to PM too. Thanks!

There are now two methods for accomplishing this, but one is far more common than the other. Let's start with the common method.

1) Connect the analog outputs of an SACD player to a PC soundcard capable of 6 channels in.

2) Play the SACD and record on the PC with appropriate software such as Sony Acid. Since your end result is DTS 5.1, the sampling frequency can be set to 44.1KHz and the bit depth to 16.

3) Save each channel's recording to a separate .wav file.

4) Add each of the six channels to a DTS encoder such as SurCode CD Pro and encode to DTS. This results in a DTS 5.1 wav file or series of .wav files depending on whether you recorded the whole SACD in one take or recorded the SACD as separate tracks.

5) Create a .cue sheet. I use EAC.

6) Use the .cue sheet to burn the CD. ImgBurn or Nero Burning Rom is useful for this.

The second, less common method uses a modified SACD player to digitally output the six channels to the PC. This eliminates the digital to analog conversion of the previously described method. If you plan to use this specialized equipment, more details are available.

Hope this helps,
George

Last edited:
Also, you can use SurCode CD Pro and encode at 24 bit / 44.1 kHz. So you might try recording at that rate. Although most of my DTS-CD conversions were done at 16 bit because I was unaware that one could use the higher bit rate to encode. Heck, since DVD-A software is so cheap, one could record at 24 bit / 96 kHz and create a DVD-A as well as a DTS-CD.

Also I understood that the Play Station 3 versions, that can play SACD, output their sound in DTS at the S/PDIF out. (I said "that can play SACD" because I'm not sure if newer PS3 still can).

Also I understood that the Play Station 3 versions, that can play SACD, output their sound in DTS at the S/PDIF out. (I said "that can play SACD" because I'm not sure if newer PS3 still can).

Some PS3 can, some cannot play SACD.
I don;t own one myself, but I seriously doubt that they will decode a DSD stream to LPCM & then re-encode it on the fly to DTS though.

Best option IMHO would be to record the analogue outs at 24/96.
Watch out for the ultrasonic noise though - there is a hell of a lot of this on SACD, and it extends downwards into the audible band & screws up the dynamic range too.

The second, less common method uses a modified SACD player to digitally output the six channels to the PC. This eliminates the digital to analog conversion of the previously described method. If you plan to use this specialized equipment, more details are available.
OK. I have a "modified SACD player" that outputs 3xS/PDIF. How can this be recorded/stored as a coherent 5.1 format?

Kal

This would be my understanding; it would require 3 soundcards each handling 2 channels of S/PDIF. Sony (aka Sonic Foundry) products such as SoundForge 9.0 or ACID 7.0 would be used with three stereo tracks armed to record this output. The inputs selected would be for the three digital streams in sync.

Exactly. Tim and I had this same discussion and I can tell he has a perfect understanding of the process. With this capability we should be seeing all the multichannel SACDs digitally converted to DVDA very soon.

Thanks for all the tips, but the whole point of this thread was I'm still trying to get a copy of the Scorpions Moment of Glory SACD. One of our members who lives in Europe was offering and thought maybe he could make a copy, but now realizes he doesn't have the capability to make a dub nor can I. If there's anyone else who owns this one that could make me a copy I have a some duplicate SACD's (Tommy/Yellow Brick Road) and DVD-A (Rumours) I could offer for trade.

If you have a Creative Labs DTS-610, then you can just send the 5.1 analog out ( adjust volume if needed ) to the DTS-610 and send the dts digital stream to a CD recorder.

The DTS-610 is a handy piece of equipment.

Vinylguy4

This would be my understanding; it would require 3 soundcards each handling 2 channels of S/PDIF. Sony (aka Sonic Foundry) products such as SoundForge 9.0 or ACID 7.0 would be used with three stereo tracks armed to record this output. The inputs selected would be for the three digital streams in sync.

In our digital world it would be easier to record a SPDIF input at-a-time and then synchro the waves? I don't think there would be any sort of "timing" problem (right?):confused:

It would take longer to do this but you won't need 3 identical audio cards

In our digital world it would be easier to record a SPDIF input at-a-time and then synchro the waves? I don't think there would be any sort of "timing" problem (right?):confused:

It would take longer to do this but you won't need 3 identical audio cards

That may not be easier, but it would certainly be less expensive. Should work though.

It really IS a headache to re-sync for the simple reason that the independently "recorded" 2 channel sessions would not each start at exactly the same time. It's a pain and lots of trial and error depending on how the channels are used within the recording. You don't have timecode to work with doing it this way.

I've done with past projects and now avoid it if at all possible. Three soundcards is cheap; I am unclear of the cost of the 3 S/PDIFs module or how hard to install. If it was detailed I missed it.

It really IS a headache to re-sync for the simple reason that the independently "recorded" 2 channel sessions would not each start at exactly the same time. It's a pain and lots of trial and error depending on how the channels are used within the recording. You don't have timecode to work with doing it this way.

I've done with past projects and now avoid it if at all possible. Three soundcards is cheap; I am unclear of the cost of the 3 S/PDIFs module or how hard to install. If it was detailed I missed it.

The module is $175 shipped and requires 14 solder joints to install.

So for the entire process:

Module - $175
3x soundcard - $200 x 3 = $600
total - $775

So for an additional $575 one can have digitally converted SACD to DVDA. With one $200 card, one can have their SACD to DVDA conversions with an analog stage in it.

Is the additional $575 worth it for pure digital conversions?

Last edited:
Module - $175
3x soundcard - $200 x 3 = $600
total - $775

So for an additional $575 one can have digitally converted SACD to DVDA. With one $200 card, one can have their SACD to DVDA conversions with an analog stage in it.

Is the additional $575 worth it for pure digital conversions?

wow, for such money i'll be happy to sing all this album personally to anyone who willing to listen it :D

as for process, it can be simple captured to hard drive identical to way it was done before with LP's and cassette recorders.
main problem will arise regarding of synchronization of all six tracks in the multitrack of music editor.
but if you really want the copy of this release and even in lossy DTS, this work was already done before and you may find it on the torrent network.
if you're familiar with sharing files over internet i even can help you with torrent file which contain this release.

but it's probably against the rules and i'll be punished by admin for saying such stuff here :smack:

If you have a Creative Labs DTS-610, then you can just send the 5.1 analog out ( adjust volume if needed ) to the DTS-610 and send the dts digital stream to a CD recorder. The DTS-610 is a handy piece of equipment.

Could someone walk a total newbie through this process? I have the DTS-610, which is on sale at Amazon right now for $24.99; do I need a special sound card? Is there a software package that will enable the CD drive of my computer to play back SACDs?

Help!

If you have a Creative Labs DTS-610, then you can just send the 5.1 analog out ( adjust volume if needed ) to the DTS-610 and send the dts digital stream to a CD recorder. The DTS-610 is a handy piece of equipment.

Could someone walk a total newbie through this process? I have the DTS-610, which is on sale at Amazon right now for $24.99; do I need a special sound card? Is there a software package that will enable the CD drive of my computer to play back SACDs?

Help!

You will need an SACD player with analog outputs, there are many standalone units such as the oppo 980. From the 5.1 analog outputs, feed the 5.1 analog inputs of the DTS-610. Feed the dts encoded digital output from the DTS-610 to a CD recorder, leave the digital stream unaltered.
The result is a DTS 5.1 CD.
No computer, no sound cards.

Vinylguy4

Okay, here's what may be a stupid question: when converting the stereo miniplugs to rca phono plugs, front and rear left/right are easy to figure out--but when it comes to the center/subwoofer plug-in, is the center the left channel plus and the sub the right channel plug, or vice versa?

:banana:looking for someone to convert SACD & DTS DVD soundtracks to DTS cd or DVD-A for my car. Also interested in projects others have worked on,:banana:

Thanks,

Paul

Okay, here's what may be a stupid question: when converting the stereo miniplugs to rca phono plugs, front and rear left/right are easy to figure out--but when it comes to the center/subwoofer plug-in, is the center the left channel plus and the sub the right channel plug, or vice versa?

Frankly, I do not remember, my wires are buried way back behind everything.
The manual that came with my unit is absolutely no help.
The digital output from the DTS-610 is live, so it's easy to just try. While digital output is hooked to a dts decoder(or receiver), just hook up some analog signal to the red(right), does the sound come out the center or the subwoofer?

vinylguy4

Back