How do I make a 5.1 audio DVD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Do I need to have a Dolby encoder?
Do I need 24/48 .wav files?
What's the best program to go from flac/wav 5.1 files to a DVD-V audio disc? (NOT DVD-A)
Can I use 24/48 DTS?

I must be missing something here

The easiest way I can think of to do this is with AudioMuxer. Simply add your files (either .AC3 @448 kbps or .DTS will do) and click "Mux To DVD" on the right hand side. This will create a VIDEO_TS folder that you can burn to a DVD-R via ImgBurn.

I've never used a software DVD-rate DTS encoder, but there are AC3 encoders built into Audacity (with ffmpeg) and AudioMuxer (click "Audio Conversion" in the top left corner).

Last edited:
Cool, right under my nose.

What about an AC3 encoder. I used to have the one from Sony/Sound Forge, but they abandoned the product and I don't have it anymore. What do people use in 2020?

What about an AC3 encoder. I used to have the one from Sony/Sound Forge, but they abandoned the product and I don't have it anymore. What do people use in 2020?

AC3 is one of the output options in AudioMuxer's "Audio Conversion" menu.

AudioMuxer AC3 Encode.jpg

I tried the MLP encoder about 18 months ago and that left a regular ‘pop’ in the encoded files.. I haven’t tried since.

Ive not tried the DTS encoder, but based on the thread (above link) it appears to at least do 1536kbps

I tried the MLP encoder about 18 months ago and that left a regular ‘pop’ in the encoded files.. I haven’t tried since.

Ive not tried the DTS encoder, but based on the thread (above link) it appears to at least do 1536kbps
I bought Faasoft's Audio Convertor software with the DTS encoder and it did the same putting in pops/clicks et al so I abandoned it.

FYI, this was all about audio as part of a DVD Video. VIDEO_TS vs. AUDIO_TS.

Not really DVD Audio, which doesn't involve DTS or Dolby encoding. But Jon if that's what you wanted great. True DVD audio is a pretty dead format. At least in the US, but still made in the EU?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio"Audio is stored on the disc in Linear PCM format, which is either uncompressed or losslessly compressed with MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing)."

I have never authored a true DVD Audio disc. But there are/were surcode MLP encoders and ChromeWelder(sp?) and Sonic DVD-Audio Creator for authoring.

But yeah AudioMuxer is the way to go to put audio ( and pictures only, no "video, no menus) on a DVD (video), AVCHD, or Blu-Ray.

The DTS or Dolby encoder used is going to determine weather or not you can achieve lossless or lossy surround however (and how many channels).

The free/reverse engineered DTS encoders are going to be DTS core only so lossey.

The heavy hitters (DTS:X and Dolby Atmos) are expensive and only run on Macs.

Ah, I remember the days when I paid £800 each for Apple DVD Studio Pro and the hardware PCI card that someone close to them sold to go along with it...

Zee,

Like I said, not DVD-Audio. I have all of that stuff along with the many cars I've own with DVD-Audio players, believe me I've made a SHITLOAD of DVD-Audio discs. Thankfully, I no longer have to deal with DVD-A or DTS CD in my car, flac is working fine. I was interested in trying an AUDIO DVD in my wife's AUDI which we bought used a few months back.

Not that she would really appreciate it, it was just that I was interested to see if it would work, as it claims to play DVD discs (Not DVD-Audio)

Zee,

Like I said, not DVD-Audio. I have all of that stuff along with the many cars I've own with DVD-Audio players, believe me I've made a SHITLOAD of DVD-Audio discs. Thankfully, I no longer have to deal with DVD-A or DTS CD in my car, flac is working fine. I was interested in trying an AUDIO DVD in my wife's AUDI which we bought used a few months back.

Not that she would really appreciate it, it was just that I was interested to see if it would work, as it claims to play DVD discs (Not DVD-Audio)
My old (2015) A4 would play Audio DVD in stereo, but shut down any images that came on the screen if you started driving, so no good for navigating the disc - I even tested one of Giancarlo's Nosound albums would playback correctly on it!. My new A5 has a disc player buried in the back of the Glove-box, CD only I think, I play everything off the SDCard (its a stereo only system fitted :( ).

The "Z" in Zeeround and my avatar are from my 350z, that really started all this surround stuff for me:

http://glenn.ws/web/Photos/ZAudio/
1603407275294.png

Sadly I totaled that car :cry:. And while I replaced it with an updated and only slightly more sedate Infiniti Q60 (same [updated] car underneath) the audio system in the Q60 is computer integrated with the car and can't really be modified, and while it has a center speaker, only plays 5.1 in "fake" surround (downmixed to stereo then upmixed in some fake way I have no control over).

As far as I can tell the bose amps even get their audio over the computer bus, so no way to even splice in another system, short of gutting the whole thing.

Sad.

Hmm, guess I need a standalone system and a mobile Realizer A16 with ear buds or something ;). Might actually be cheaper in the long run. 7.1.4 in the car. :SB

But then with layoff/covid I'm not commuting anyway. Usually listen to audible or news in the car these days.

Back