How do I make a 5.1 audio DVD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jon, couldn't you just use an existing disc from your collection? Most of the old DVD-As had a compatibility layer with either/or DTS + DD. Or some other disc like Caravan's In the Land of Grey and Pink or Primus's Primus & the Chocolate Factory which both had DD sound only?

I could. But what I really want to do is create a test disc of sorts, you know, front left channel, front right channel, front center, etc., just to see how the car handles a discrete signal. Sometimes with music in a strange environment like a car it's hard to tell without a reference disc. That was my goal and I will get to it this weekend.

If I accomplish this, maybe I'll post an .iso!

FYI I have archived test discs plus can easily make shorter/smaller channel id discs in DTS or Dolby.

I've been spending hours on this with DVD-lab PRO, VOBedit, IFOedit, trying to re-encode the VIDEO_TS with an MLP > 24/48 dts for discs that are DVD-A but only had Dolby Digital on the DVD-Video portion, never thought to try AudioMuxer.
With DVD-lab Pro I could create a disc using the "MENU" function for each track with the new dts track I've encoded with Surcode, but because it's for the Honda Odyssey 2015 Touring, as the driver I can't press any buttons on the menu so would be stuck always listening from track one onwards. Trying AudioMuxer now.

AudioMuxer won't give any menus. It just gives you "chapters" of musical tracks, with an (optional) static image per track.

But you'll be able to jump to the next track.

Didn't quite figure out how to burn a disc the minivan would recognize, but once I had the 24/48 dts tracks from AudioMuxer (so much easier than taking my DVD-As, creating 6-channel mono files for each track and converting to dts myself) I then used AudioMuxer to create DVD files with a static image, imported those into DLP as video files then added in my dts track for each "movie" and was able to create a playable DVD, so now I have for example Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral and With Teeth on a single DVD-Video using the MLP 24/48 > 1536 24/48 dts 5.1 and even figured out an initial menu to select either album (doesn't do any good in the minivan though because the driver cannot see menu screens). It plays through no problem so that's exciting.

Now working on creating an Abbey Road > Peppers > The Beatles disc. Pretty soon I'll have enough surround music to make it all the way to Florida as I flee Ontario! lol

Once I have the mpgs from AudioMuxer though, is there a much easier way to do what I'm doing? Can I just burn a DVD-Video disc with those without all the extra futzing about?

Audiomuxer can make an iso you can just burn.

Lower right hand corner of audiomuxer, check the iso box.

That's huge, I'll try that with my Sting/Police 5.1 compilation. I just did a disc with Abbey Road > Peppers > White Album > Gimme Some Truth, 96 tracks I had to drag and drop the video then the audio into lol. PITA! If Audiomuxer makes an ISO then I don't need DLP at all and won't have to worry about the $250 price at the end of the trial.
Thank you!

Okay I figured out what I was doing wrong with AudioMuxer and was led to the problem by zeerround as I started playing with the ISO functionality - by default it splits by the main track and once I started unchecking that, everything got much simpler. For a single album, ISO is perfect, for multiple albums where you want to advance by album instead of just track, unchecking "by track" and getting multiple VIDEO_TS folders works great with DVD-lab Pro 2.

So I created VIDEO_TS folders for the four Sting solo albums that have 5.1 mixes along with Every Breath You Take, used DLP to create 5 "movies" in one VTS directory one for each album and burned my disc.

Now if Brand New Day is movie#3 I can just press the MOVIE> button twice and the track button once to get to "Desert Rose".

What's even handier is the track skip button on the steering wheel won't advance if you're creating a movie for each track, now I can skip tracks within an album and just use the main display if I want to advance an album.

I'll be redoing my Beatles/Lennon disc very soon.

If your "album" does happen to go over 1GB because you've added album art, DLP allows you to add a joined VOB so no messing about with IFOedit or VOBedit, nice and simple. I've got some work to do to create these multi-album discs before my trial of DLP runs out, after which I'd just use AudioMuxer to create a single playlist/"movie" of multiple albums.

One other big issue with the way I was doing it above, using a movie for each track, is gapless playback disappears which makes the last bit of Abbey Road sound really disjointed. Happy days, thanks for all the input.

So, if I’m reading all this thread correctly, there’s no current software that can author a DVD/BD in lossless 96kHz/24bit with full sized pictures/artwork?
*edit- believe I need to clarify, probably best to research more and start my own thread about BD-R.

Last edited:
So, if I’m reading all this thread correctly, there’s no current software that can author a DVD/BD in lossless 96kHz/24bit with full sized pictures/artwork?
*edit- believe I need to clarify, probably best to research more and start my own thread about BD-R.

No, audiomuxer can do that, assuming you have a DTS/Dolby encoder that does lossless. The free DTS encoder that come with audiomuxer is only DTS "core".

For"DVD" what you actually want is AVCHD (BD format on DVD media) to enable lossless.

96/24 on DVD (DVD format) is "high quality" but not lossless.

From Wikipedia:

DTS-HD Master Audio[edit]
Main article: DTS-HD Master Audio
DTS-HD Master Audio, previously known as DTS++,[18] is the second of two DTS-HD audio formats.[19] It supports a virtually unlimited number of surround sound channels, can deliver audio quality at bit rates extending from lossless (24-bit, 192 kHz) down to DTS Digital Surround and, like Neo, downmix to 5.1 or 2.1 systems.​
DTS-HD Master Audio is selected as an optional surround sound format for Blu-ray, where it has been limited to a maximum of 8 discrete channels. DTS-HD MA supports variable bit rates up to 24.5 Mbit/s, with up to 6 channels encoded at up to 192 kHz or 8 channels and nine objects encoded at 96 kHz/24 bit. If more than two channels are used, a "channel remapping" function allows for remixing the soundtrack to compensate for a different channel layout in the playback system compared to the original mix.​
All Blu-ray players can decode the DTS "core" resolution soundtrack at 1.5 Mbit/s, however, as DTS-HD Master Audio is also implemented as a standard DTS core plus extensions, but cannot decode audio from DTS audio CDs. DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD are the only technologies that deliver compressed lossless surround sound for these new disc formats, ensuring the highest quality audio performance available in the new standards. (DTS Coherent Acoustics' coding system was selected as mandatory audio technology for Blu-ray Discs.[20]

No, audiomuxer can do that, assuming you have a DTS/Dolby encoder that does lossless. The free DTS encoder that come with audiomuxer is only DTS "core".

For"DVD" what you actually want is AVCHD (BD format on DVD media) to enable lossless.

From Wikipedia:

DTS-HD Master Audio, previously known as DTS++,[18] is the second of two DTS-HD audio formats.[19] It supports a virtually unlimited number of surround sound channels, can deliver audio quality at bit rates extending from lossless (24-bit, 192 kHz) down to DTS Digital Surround and, like Neo, downmix to 5.1 or 2.1 systems.​
DTS-HD Master Audio is selected as an optional surround sound format for Blu-ray, where it has been limited to a maximum of 8 discrete channels. DTS-HD MA supports variable bit rates up to 24.5 Mbit/s, with up to 6 channels encoded at up to 192 kHz or 8 channels and nine objects encoded at 96 kHz/24 bit. If more than two channels are used, a "channel remapping" function allows for remixing the soundtrack to compensate for a different channel layout in the playback system compared to the original mix.​
All Blu-ray players can decode the DTS "core" resolution soundtrack at 1.5 Mbit/s, however, as DTS-HD Master Audio is also implemented as a standard DTS core plus extensions, but cannot decode audio from DTS audio CDs. DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD are the only technologies that deliver compressed lossless surround sound for these new disc formats, ensuring the highest quality audio performance available in the new standards. (DTS Coherent Acoustics' coding system was selected as mandatory audio technology for Blu-ray Discs.[20]
Thanks Z - I need to learn more before I go any further on this, still somewhat confusing.

And anxiously waiting on the James Webb (JWST) ;)

From Wikipedia:

The problem with DTS 96/24 is that if the player or amplifier is running a DTS Essentials decoder it will not access the 96k main stream but the hidden core stream at the root of the file.
Yes, it is lossy but it still sounds pretty good (and way superior to AC3 of course).

@Jon - if you want a good DVD tool, give Media Chance Labs DVD-Lab Pro a go - you get a 30 day fully functional version & if buying I think it is only $100 these days, and it includes an audio-only title as an option with no need for imagery.

Back