How Do I make a DVD-A?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Steven, Foobar2000 can play DVD-A. You just need the right add-on.. It called "foo_input_dvda-0.4.11".

Once installed, you'll have a new option in the preferences tab (tools) to select the "multichannel" or "stereo" layer.

Works well here on Win7 and Win10. Don't know if foobar is compatible with MAC though.

I can play discs, and rip them in flac using this. You might need the free "Encoder Pack" from the official Foobar2000 site for the flac part..

Not sure why I didn't receive a thread update mail item from QQ. I don't check the forums often - normally wait to get a mail item saying someone's replied.

Couple small corrections

1) DVD-Audio discs do not have "multichannel" or "stereo" layers. DVD-A discs have an audio zone (AUDIO_TS) and optionally a video zone (VIDEO_TS). The concept of "multi-channel" and "stereo" is from SACE - and there the terminology is "area" not layer". A SACD can be a hybrid disc and have a CD quality 44.1/16 PCM audio "layer" in addition to the DSD layer (which can be mono, stereo up to 5.1 channel).

2) The concept of "layer" for DVD-AUDIO only comes into play IF the capacity needed to hold the zones (audio and video) is more than 4.38GB. DVD+R/DL media can be up to 8.54GB but this has NOTHING to do with multi-channel, stereo or even which zone (there is no defined split / assignment of video or audio to any specific "layer").

But being on a MAC the foo stuff probably won't be useful for me

Last I looked the foo_* is not available for a MAC - it also did not appear to implement the menus/navigation logic needed to deal with some of the complex DVD-Audio discs I've seen/created (some DVD-A discs are more complicated than many DVD-Video/movie discs.

Another previous poster mentioned "...except CP DVD-A". Not hard at all to rip those - definitely easier than an SACD (no PS3 needed for DVD-A :) Once the image is available there's DVD-Explorer to get the PCM data to FLAC files (and then convert to DSD and create Scarletbook images - Audirvana+ can play those on a MAC :) Actually there's no need to do that since A+ can play multichannel FLAC files with ease https://audirvana.com)

Back