How Do I make a DVD-A?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
All I have is Nero. It does burn DVD's but I'm not exactly sure how to burn a DVD-A. The last time I tried just burning all the Files to a DVD and nothing happened. My DVD player wouldn't recognize it as anything!

You need a program like WaveLab 5 or 6, DiscWelder, or the DVD-Audio Solo program.

Ok, I don't think we have all the info here.

What are you trying to burn. Are you trying to burn a dvd-a or a dvd-a/v? A dvd-a/v having a dvd-v layer that a normal dvd player will recognize?

If you're trying to burn a dvd-a only, and are trying to play it on a dvd player without dvd-a playback capabilities, then nero may have burned the disc fine, it's just that with the limited playback capabilities of a dvd-a only disc, you have yourself something you can't play.

Let me know what it is you're trying to burn, and we can go from there.

Discwelder is for the creation of a dvd-a, and isn't really a tool for burning an image of a dvd-a.

Well, the files I have are .RAR extension. I have WinRar, that's no problem there.

The files within the rar are contained in two directories: Audio_TS and Video_TS

I'm pretty sure my DVD player does DVD-A discs as I have the Elvis "1" DVD-A and it plays fine. It has no video, just music.

Put your audio -ts and video_ts in a folder. Use imgburn to turn that folder into an image on a dvd disc. The disc will now be a DVD-A playable on a DVD-A player.

Nero can also turn you audio_ts and video_ts into an image and burn it to a DVD but is a little clumbsy at doing so. imgburn is freeware.

Hope this helps.

Yeah...that has to be burned properly. You can't just drag those 2 folders into a data disc session and burn that. I don't have much experience burning from audio_ts and video_ts folders like that, but if imgburn can do that, I'd recommend that over nero, as I've had issues using nero to burn things like that, even though it's supposed to be able to.

I just burned a disc using IMGBURN and the method that GEORGESHANNON described above and it worked like a charm. Thanks!

I still need to know how to burn .wav files to dvd. The files are supposedly 5.1 hi rez files. They are all 300+ Mb files. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To author a DVD you will need to use an application like DiscWelder Chrome. You may also need to package the .wavs in MLP using something like Surcode MLP if you need to save some space.

I just burned a disc using IMGBURN and the method that GEORGESHANNON described above and it worked like a charm. Thanks!

I still need to know how to burn .wav files to dvd. The files are supposedly 5.1 hi rez files. They are all 300+ Mb files. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Depending on the channel count & resolution, things will differ.
If they are 5.1 @ 24/96, then use of MLP is mandatory because of the total allowable bitrate for DVD-A being 9,600kbps (or 9.6Mb/s) and 24/96 PCM at 5.1 will be around 13,500 kbps. There are players that will have no trouble at all playing these but a lot that won't either.
If they are 24/48 in 5.1 or 24/96 Quad, you don't need MLP.

What you will need to create the discs also depends on just what you are looking to do with them. For a basic title, using generated screens & no custom menus, DiscWelder Bronze will work just fine.
I personally think Cirlinca's DVD-Audio Solo Pro is a superb piece of software for the money as well.
For MLP support, you are effectively limited to either DiscWelder Chrome or Sonic's DVD-Audio Creator. Plus of course you'll also need the MLP encoder. Either of these apps will do commercial grade discs.
Steinberg's WaveLab does a good job and allows custom screens, but it's approach is odd & requires practise to get to grips with the way it handles things (you need to create an Audio Montage for each group of tracks on a DVDA) where Chrome is simple drag & drop operation.
Sonic is the most complex, as it requires specifically named files in a pre determined (and utterly inflexible) project structure to work because it operates using XML files only as pointers to previously imported content. Sounds hassle but is by far the best approach as it allows multiple re-usage of the same audio files which can be a great advantage in certain circumstances.

DVDA authoring can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be, and is well worth learning to do (and this is the place to get help with all applications, as there are folks here who know each application so will be able to help you through the initial maze).

So - if you can say what you're wanting to do, we can certainly point you in the right direction.

Depending on the channel count & resolution, things will differ.
If they are 5.1 @ 24/96, then use of MLP is mandatory because of the total allowable bitrate for DVD-A being 9,600kbps (or 9.6Mb/s) and 24/96 PCM at 5.1 will be around 13,500 kbps. There are players that will have no trouble at all playing these but a lot that won't either.
If they are 24/48 in 5.1 or 24/96 Quad, you don't need MLP.

What you will need to create the discs also depends on just what you are looking to do with them. For a basic title, using generated screens & no custom menus, DiscWelder Bronze will work just fine.
I personally think Cirlinca's DVD-Audio Solo Pro is a superb piece of software for the money as well.
For MLP support, you are effectively limited to either DiscWelder Chrome or Sonic's DVD-Audio Creator. Plus of course you'll also need the MLP encoder. Either of these apps will do commercial grade discs.
Steinberg's WaveLab does a good job and allows custom screens, but it's approach is odd & requires practise to get to grips with the way it handles things (you need to create an Audio Montage for each group of tracks on a DVDA) where Chrome is simple drag & drop operation.
Sonic is the most complex, as it requires specifically named files in a pre determined (and utterly inflexible) project structure to work because it operates using XML files only as pointers to previously imported content. Sounds hassle but is by far the best approach as it allows multiple re-usage of the same audio files which can be a great advantage in certain circumstances.

DVDA authoring can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be, and is well worth learning to do (and this is the place to get help with all applications, as there are folks here who know each application so will be able to help you through the initial maze).

So - if you can say what you're wanting to do, we can certainly point you in the right direction.

Despite Neil's excellent description, I'm still confused on the capabilities of the softwares described above -

Here's what I want to do-
1. Convert SACD discs to DVD-A (5.1 @ 24/96)
2. Copy DVD-A's that I have as well as make mixes from existing DVD-A tracks (5.1@ 24/96).

Will the Wavelab 6 or Cirlinca's DVD-Audio Solo Pro do this for me?
Which ones come with MLP? My budget is $500 - can it be done?

Thanks in advance.

I recommend the use of discwelder chrome and surcode MLP.

To convert SACD to DVDA you first need to convert the SACD to wav using something like ACID Pro.

Copying DVDAs requires something like DVDFab.

Surcode MLP comes with MLP.

Yes, it can be done for $500. Probably a lot less.

Don't make this too complicated. Its easier than you think. Your questions are not focussed and so far you have asked about six totally different processes. I suggest you pick one to start with and proceed from there.

1) burn .wav files to DVD
2) convert SACD to DVDA
3) copy DVDAs
4) make mixes from existing DVDA tracks
5) discuss wavelab and cirlinca
6) do some things for < $500

Despite Neil's excellent description, I'm still confused on the capabilities of the softwares described above -

Here's what I want to do-
1. Convert SACD discs to DVD-A (5.1 @ 24/96)
2. Copy DVD-A's that I have as well as make mixes from existing DVD-A tracks (5.1@ 24/96).

Will the Wavelab 6 or Cirlinca's DVD-Audio Solo Pro do this for me?
Which ones come with MLP? My budget is $500 - can it be done?

Thanks in advance.

You won't be able to do it for anything close to $500 legally. MLP Encoder & Chrome are $5,000 for the pair at retail, although a deal may be possible.
24/48 is not a problem, and to be blunt from SACD might even be preferable as there is absolutely nothing above 23KHz of audio on any SACD - all that exists above that value is noise, and lots of it. You can - and should, IMHO, run a very steep slope LPF set to 23KHz on any transfer to analogue from SACD, giving you a resolution of 24/48 max.
For that, WaveLab or Cirlinca will do just fine.
Nothing comes with MLP. This is a standalone encoder sold by either SurCode ($2500), Meridian Audio (£2,000) or Dolby Labs (Mac OS X Only, and a stonking $10,000 for the Dolby Media Producer kit although I think you might just be able to get the encoder for "only" $4500).
There are 2 apps that support MLP - Chrome & Sonic. Sonic has an LE version that is frankly pointless (no MLP support, one group etc) so avoid that. Sonic can be picked up second user (license transfer is $25) for the cost of Chrome new. I know what I would rather buy.

Copying any existing DVDA will work unless the disc is watermarked, at which point you're screwed unless your player does not honour the watermark - and most do. The only way to losslessly copy DVDA is by FLAC, DTS-HD MAS or WMA Pro Lossless. As soon as you copy any watermarked audio stream to a DVDA the player will go into Stop mode as soon as it hits mark #1.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I myself was wondering if there is a source (or manual) that describes that complex, inflexible workflow of Sonic DVD-A Architect?

If they are 5.1 @ 24/96, then use of MLP is mandatory because of the total allowable bitrate for DVD-A being 9,600kbps (or 9.6Mb/s) and 24/96 PCM at 5.1 will be around 13,500 kbps. There are players that will have no trouble at all playing these but a lot that won't either. If they are 24/48 in 5.1 or 24/96 Quad, you don't need MLP.

I have found that for the most part the need for MLP is eliminated or drastically reduced by the ability of Cirlinca DVD-Audio solo to burn 24/96 5.1 .wav and .flac files to disc without having to compress into mlp. Most of the time you can get everything onto a DVD DL disc.

This is a real time saver as you do not need to break the file in 6 mono wavs and then encode them to mlp.

Along those same lines, let me state that Discwelder Chrome does not require 5.1 96/24 files to be MLP either. MLP is used only for space saving as far as Discwelder Chrome is concerned.

Back