How do I playback a discrete 8 track tape ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawmacias

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
First , my equipment : Akai CR 80D-SS tape player, Sansui QRX 7001 receiver. Tape : U.K. DSOTM discrete.

Here's my dumb-ass question. The receiver has selector buttons for = 2-ch direct front - plus back / qs synthesizer (hall or surround) / qs / sq / cd-4 (4-ch direct) . When playing the tape , which selector button do I use? I know the tape is not encoded , but how does the sound go through the receiver in 4ch discrete ? Does it go direct (in 4-channel) from the deck to the receiver's four amps via Tape Select?

The receiver should have a discrete 4-channel tape monitor input, designed to work with quad 8-track or reel-to-reel decks. I think all quad receivers have a 4-channel tape input, some have multiple.

Also, you should never play a Q8 without opening the tape and checking that it's threaded correctly, and if splice/pad are in good shape. That's quite a valuable tape and it'd be a shame if it self-destructed on playback.

BTW the DSOTM Alan Parsons discrete quad mix was released on Blu-Ray a couple years ago, if you'd like to hear it in higher fidelity (and without a track break in the middle of "Money")...

You are right on the tape inputs . I just checked. So , all I have to do is select tape 1 or tape 2 button on the receiver. My guess is that the tape input on the receiver goes directly to the amps and then to the speaker outputs, right?
I am going to ask the previous owner of both the DSOTM and AHM if the tapes have been refurbished. Should have done that before purchasing. I was so excited I forgot to ask. Hence - dumb ass !

First , my equipment : Akai CR 80D-SS tape player, Sansui QRX 7001 receiver. Tape : U.K. DSOTM discrete.

Here's my dumb-ass question. The receiver has selector buttons for = 2-ch direct front - plus back / qs synthesizer (hall or surround) / qs / sq / cd-4 (4-ch direct) . When playing the tape , which selector button do I use? I know the tape is not encoded , but how does the sound go through the receiver in 4ch discrete ? Does it go direct (in 4-channel) from the deck to the receiver's four amps via Tape Select?

Never any dumbass questions here Raw - just people willing to help :LB

And that is much appreciated ! Here is a pic of my FRANKENSTEIN living in my bedroom !

Attachments

• IMG_20181030_203050.jpg
    IMG_20181030_203050.jpg
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 120
Back